Oudie gear warning?

Old April 7th 20, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Default Oudie gear warning?

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 12:59:32 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Lou
I'll watch for that " Raise your Gear" the next time I fly.
I updated my Oudie last week so hopefully its in there.
Do I need to check any box in the settings to activate this feature that you know of?
Nick

The warning for both retract and extend simply says "Check Gear".

There is a checkbox under Settings / Miscellaneous (per a previous poster) for the extend gear. I assume that also give you the retract gear.

Lou
Old April 8th 20, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan, You crack me up, " my airforce training is pretty strong". Our only 2 gear up landings in our club, ASA out of turf were by F16 instructors out of Luke, seems they always had an airman spotter at the end of the runway " checking their gear on short final
Old April 8th 20, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In contests you lose as much as half your score if you don't overhead the field at pattern altitude, it's changed from years ago.
Old April 8th 20, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro

Exactly ... why not have a pleasant voice chime in programmed with your name saying ..Hey Dennis ..don’t forget your gear. In fact I would want her help in normal flight saying ...You know Dennis there is a nice thermal a few miles down to the right -

DC
Old April 8th 20, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You're right, Cliff!

I'd completely forgotten about the RSU (Runway Supervisory Unit) who
would send you around (wave off for you Navy pukes) if you didn't have
your gear down.Â* Reminds me the of the story of the pilot at the
accident review board who said that he didn't lower his gear because he
was distracted by the loud buzzing in his head set and the flares
shooting off at the end of the runway.

But on a more serious note, I check my gear position, handle/switch,
indicator(s), and sounds/buffeting, three times before each landing:Â* on
downwind, on base, and on final.Â* I always cringe on short final
thinking how long it takes for the gear to extend electrically and that,
since the engine is secured, there will be no go around if I don't have
two green lights.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 11th 20, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 11:07:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Now I have an independant gear warning system. If anything, the gear warning volume needs to be THE LOUDEST SOUND IN THE COCKPIT.

I am a member of the "Gear Up Landing Club." (As well as the "Might Do It Again Club."

Easy solution with no electronics required.
1. Decide it is time to land and get in pattern.
2. Make radio call and then shut it off.
3. Out Loud say USTALL or other landing checklist.
4. Land with gear down at proper speed as you look far down the runway.
Old April 11th 20, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 9:55:03 AM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 11:07:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Now I have an independant gear warning system. If anything, the gear warning volume needs to be THE LOUDEST SOUND IN THE COCKPIT.

I am a member of the "Gear Up Landing Club." (As well as the "Might Do It Again Club."

Easy solution with no electronics required.
1. Decide it is time to land and get in pattern.
2. Make radio call and then shut it off.
3. Out Loud say USTALL or other landing checklist.
4. Land with gear down at proper speed as you look far down the runway.

Solution to make the solution work.

Humility to know that with enough unexpected stuff in the pattern it can happen to me too.
Old April 11th 20, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Why would one want to shut the radio off in the pattern after making their initial radio call?

I want to know what all traffic is doing at all times.

Saved my butt a number of times with conflicts in the pattern that arose after the initial call - mostly with power traffic.

Perhaps this is less of an issue at glider only locations.

Lou
Old April 11th 20, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 10:43:38 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
Why would one want to shut the radio off in the pattern after making their initial radio call?

I want to know what all traffic is doing at all times.

Saved my butt a number of times with conflicts in the pattern that arose after the initial call - mostly with power traffic.

Perhaps this is less of an issue at glider only locations.

Lou

I watched a similar situation play out at our field one day when a Discus launched and his spoilers popped open at the beginning of the tow. The tow pilot and several of us on the ground kept calling him on the radio, telling him to close them but he never responded. Fortunately, the Pawnee was strong enough to drag him up and he released at 2000' as planned. After the day was over and he had landed, we all asked him about the spoilers and he told us he was wondering why the tow took so long and figured it out after he released. We asked why he couldn't hear all of us calling him on the radio and he said "I turn that thing off on takeoff and landing so I can concentrate better without all that yakking going on". SMH
Old April 11th 20, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"I turn that thing off on takeoff and landing so I can concentrate better without all that yakking going on"

Violates the what's it going to look like on the accident rule.

Cessna 172 gear warning Paul Kassel Owning 0 March 27th 17 04:29 PM
Gear Warning Gadget Guy Soaring 118 November 30th 05 10:43 PM
Gear Warning Gordon Schubert Soaring 11 November 22nd 05 03:27 AM
Gear Warning Gordon Schubert Soaring 0 November 18th 05 08:22 PM
gear warning plus K.P. Termaat Soaring 0 September 8th 03 08:33 AM