Most Important Control On My Plane

Old November 27th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Charles Talleyrand

Default Most Important Control On My Plane

Type of plane
I have a VFR Cessna 150.

Most important control
Radio transmit

Least important control
Pitot heat (if you need it, you shouldn't be flying)

Never working control
Parking brake

Scariest control
Landing light (when it suddenly failed during a night landing)

Control I never use
Transponder test

Control in the wrong place
Fuel shutoff (right where me feet can kick it)

Control I fixate about
Mixture

Control that impresses non-pilot passengers
GPS on button

Old November 27th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Most important control
Radio transmit

Hey, I'm a "Use the radio, dammit!" guy from way back -- but even I
wouldn't rate the transmit button as my "most important control"...

Maybe number three or so...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 27th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Charles Talleyrand" wrote:

Type of plane
I have a VFR Cessna 150.

Most important control
Radio transmit

aviate, navigate, communicate.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 27th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Bob Noel wrote:
In article .com,
"Charles Talleyrand" wrote:

Type of plane
I have a VFR Cessna 150.

Most important control
Radio transmit

aviate, navigate, communicate.

It's Bernoulli not Marconi that makes it fly.
Old November 27th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Ron Natalie" wrote:

It's Bernoulli

Uh-oh...

Old November 27th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Dan Luke wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote:

It's Bernoulli

Uh-oh...

Newton doesn't rhyme.
Old November 27th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Charles Talleyrand" said:
Type of plane

I fly a Piper Lance.

Most important control

Intercom ISO to shut up my kids.

Least important control

The knob that sets your level on the AI. Never use it.

Never working control

Electric trim.

Scariest control

Landing gear override.

Control I never use

Fin strobe - keep it on all the time so the fin strobe comes on when I
turn on the master.

Control in the wrong place

Rudder trim - I hate reaching down to floor level for it in IMC.

Control I fixate about

Landing gear lever.

Control that impresses non-pilot passengers

The "Gear unsafe" light that comes on while the gear is in transit.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Panic kills"
Old November 27th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robet Coffey

Robert Coffey Wrote:
Type of plane
I have a VFR Piper Cherokee 6.

Most important control
Yoke

Least important control
ADF

Never working control
*#! Sun Visor won't stay up, I'll remember to bring velcro next time.

Scariest control
Mixture ( is right next to cabin heat & same style knob )

Control I never use
ADF, Rudder trim, VOR(s), DME, Standby VAC, Spare fuses, Defrost, (tie)

Control in the wrong place
Cabin Heat

Control I fixate about
Fuel Selector

Control that impresses non-pilot passengers
Auto pilot (when it changes course over a waypoint)

Old November 27th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Charles Talleyrand wrote:
Type of plane
I have a VFR Cessna 150.

M20

Most important control
Radio transmit

Yoke

Least important control
Pitot heat (if you need it, you shouldn't be flying)

Why shouldn't you be flying if you need pitot heat?
I would say landing light is the least important. I only use it for
taxiing.

Never working control
Parking brake

DME slave to nav #2. Slaves to nav #1, just not to #2. Avionics tech
gave me complicated answer, translation "it won't work".

Scariest control
Landing light (when it suddenly failed during a night landing)

On the Decathlon it was the door eject lever. On the Mooney, maybe the
emergency gear extention?

Control I never use
Transponder test

Marker beacon brightness

Control in the wrong place
Fuel shutoff (right where me feet can kick it)

Fuel selector. I'm long armed so its not a big deal, others who have
flown my plane have a very difficult time reaching it.

Control I fixate about
Mixture

Gear

Control that impresses non-pilot passengers
GPS on button

Red flashing "auto pilot not engaged" light.

-Robert