Question about medical certificate and Zyban...

Old July 25th 05, 12:35 AM

Default Question about medical certificate and Zyban...

Hi all,

I am just about to start my private pilot training.

In fact, I have about $2000 on account and went in today to sign up for
everything.

Luckily, before signing all the papers, I stumbled on the FAA's
position that Zyban automatically disqualifies you from obtaining a
medical certificate. (I have been taking Zyban for smoking cessation
for about 7 months).

So, before signing everything; before taking lessons which would only
lead to a dead end; and before taking the medical exam, I would very
much like to know what my options are.

For example, one thing I learned today was that I had an option of
getting a sport pilot license instead of private pilot. BUT, if I had
taken the medical exam, and been disqualified due to my taking Zyban, I
would be forever unable to get a sport pilot license.

So, I don't know what to do. Should I just settle on a sport pilot
license, because since I have been taking Zyban, I am forever banned
from a private pilot license. Or maybe I can quit the Zyban for like 90
days, and THEN take the medical, and based on that duration of
abstenence (sp?) be eligible without jumping through hoops? Or,
perhaps I should just walk into the medical as-is, and see what the AME
recomends?

A note from the doctor who prescribed the Zyban taken into the AME for
the exam after how ever many days of abstenence would be required?

Sigh...

Please, any guidance with this would be very much appreciated. Kinda
frustrating that a heroine addict could EASILY lie their way into a
medical certificate. But, an honest guy who wanted to do the right
thing, and quit smoking could just as easily be permanently banned from
ever getting a private pilot license.

Thanks much!!!!!!!!

Old July 25th 05, 03:35 AM
Don Hammer

I guess I don't understand why the Zyban for seven months. Have you
just traded one addiction for another? About 30 years ago I was a two
pack a day Lucky smoker and quit cold turkey. After less than two
weeks I forgot about them.

Good luck
Old July 25th 05, 03:58 AM

Well, a little bit off the subject...

But, there isn't anything at all addicting about Zyban. Only thing I
noticed at all after I started taking it was that I no longer had a
desire to smoke. And, even if it is addicting, previously, my response
would be "so what?" Many people trade addictions when quitting
smoking, such as excersise, immersing themselves in reading, or other
hobbies, etc..

My doctor's just been telling me that if it's working, with no side
effects, that I might as well stay on it. The only problem with
stopping it is that it takes like 5 days for the effects to kick in.
So, if I stop taking it, and I feel the urge to start smoking again,
I'll have to wait 5 days after taking it again for the effects to start
again.

That said, I'd stop taking them right away if there was a reason to
(such as getting my pilots license). Up till now, it's just been like
taking a vitamin. Sure, I could stop taking vitamin's everyday. And,
I don't really notice any positive effects from taking them. But, why
should I?

And, I understand the rational why the FAA disqualifies people who take
Zyban: 1) It is also used as an anti-depressant, and instead of
getting involved with which people who are clinically depressed should
fly and which one's shouldn't, it's best to just ban them all. 2) In
some people, the side effects are definately contrary to flying, such
as seizures. 3) You can't really make exceptions for people taking it
for smoking cessation vs. people who are depressed, because you'd just
get people cheating the system by getting the doctor to cook the
diagnosis.

So, I'm not questioning (much), the blanket policy.

All I really want to know is what is my best course of action so I can
get my license.

I probably rambled on too much defending myself, which is probably not
really necessary. I just hope we can keep the conversation on track.

Old July 25th 05, 04:36 AM
KD Wilkerson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, a little bit off the subject...

SNIP

So, I'm not questioning (much), the blanket policy.

All I really want to know is what is my best course of action so I can
get my license.

I probably rambled on too much defending myself, which is probably not
really necessary. I just hope we can keep the conversation on track.

I'd check with the doc about stopping Zyban...seven months seems more than
long enough, but doc may want you to taper off.

Contact FAA Aeromedical in OKC and ask what amount of time you should wait
after stopping the medication before going in for your physical.

If you're unable or unwilling to ask FAA anonymously, go to AOPA and ask
there. You'll get a straight answer from current AME's who have good
information.

Best of luck with your training!

Regards,

Kevin Wilkerson
Evansville, IN
http://www.s6s.org

Old July 25th 05, 04:40 AM
Jose

Only thing I
noticed at all after I started taking it was that I no longer had a
desire to smoke. [...]
My doctor's just been telling me that if it's working, with no side
effects, that I might as well stay on it.

Staying on unnecessary medication is not a good thing, though it
enriches the drug companies. Ask your doctor if you "might as well get
off of it".

So, if I stop taking it, and I feel the urge to start smoking again...

....resist the urge. You can certainly do it for =one= day. At a time.
Cigarettes are bad for the airplane too.

All I really want to know is what is my best course of action so I can
get my license.

Try this (after consulting your doctor and ensuring that it's safe):
1: Stop taking Zyban. Then...
2: Don't smoke.

Don't even hang around with people who smoke. Stay away from smokey
places. Don't buy cigarettes. Don't accept them either. And don't do
stuff that brings you in contact with them.

This is what non-smokers do.

As PILOT IN COMMAND, you will need to resist many urges, such as the
urge to go through that not-so-good weather so you can get home in time
for the ball game, or the urge to take off with just a wee bit too much
of a load, or the urge to skip a preflight because you're late and
besides you just flew the airplane and what could be wrong... Resisting
the urge to smoke is a good place to start. And you're already ahead,
because you are out of the habit. Your hands aren't automatically
reaching for a cigarette, and you don't have them in your pocket anyway.
It would require affirmative action to start again. So, don't start
again.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old July 25th 05, 04:45 AM
Don Hammer

If you want to see why the FAA doesn't like it see -
http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_zyban.pdf It doesn't look much
like aspirin to me and is not used for depression.

Why not can the Zyban? Shortly after I quit, cigarettes started
smelling bad and I lost my desire to start again. After all these
years you would think it would be the same for you.

One thing you might consider - The internist that takes care of me is
also my flight surgeon. He won't give me anything that disqualifies
me to fly.

Guess you have to decide what's important to you. Smoking, taking
drugs, or flying airplanes. I know where I'd be on that.

Old July 25th 05, 04:56 AM
Sylvain

All I really want to know is what is my best course of action so I can
get my license.

step 1: join AOPA (see
http://www.aopa.org/)

step 2: ask the question to the nice AOPA folks

--Sylvain
Old July 25th 05, 05:35 AM

Well, I do thank you all for your replies. Though, I think that much
of the point was missed.

I do not have any problem quitting Zyban. I do not think that I will
have any problems staying off the cigarettes once I quit Zyban.

I am afraid, though, that because I have taken it that I may be forever
banned from piloting an airplane. Or maybe I have to be off the Zyban
for like 60 days and I'd pass with flying colors... But, if I go in
after 59 days, I'll get a big FAILED stamp put on the exam, which would
forever disqualify me from getting a sport pilot license (If that's all
I can get) -- or maybe even disqualify me from getting ANY license.

Some have suggested asking AOPA. Looks like it's a great resource,
regardless. But, it costs $39 to join, and right now, the flight
school has all my money.

But, I do sincerely thank all of you who have taken the time to
respond.

Old July 25th 05, 05:47 AM
Jose

Some have suggested asking AOPA. Looks like it's a great resource,
regardless. But, it costs $39 to join, and right now, the flight
school has all my money.

After you quit Zyban, put the money you save into a fund, and once it
reaches $39, join AOPA.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.