medical question

Old September 13th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default medical question

Emily writes:

I've participated in life plenty....you don't even know how old I am.
I've just never experienced a doctor singlehandedly try to get my
medical revoked for absolutely no reason.

Did he tell you he was doing that?

Old September 13th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mortimer Schnerd, RN writes:

Fast forward 14 years and I'm being worked up for some abdominal surgery. The
anesthesiologist asks how long has it been since I'd had an EKG? "Quite a
while", I replied. So he ordered one and it said I'd probably had a septal wall
MI at some point in the past. "How odd", I thought, "you'd think I'd remember
having a heart attack".

They don't always produce symptoms.

Old September 13th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

I'm getting the results of the lab work (which WILL show anemia),
skipping the followup appointment, and finding another doctor.

You don't want anemia, because it prevents you from working at
altitude.

Old September 13th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Margy Natalie wrote:

Deer ticks you don't see. They are about the size of a pin head. I've
had two occasions with funny looking bites. They just treat with
antibiotics in case.

Margy, I think you are on to something with your recommendation. Here is a
list of potential symptoms of Lyme disease, which includes depression,
fatigue, and fever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_Disease

Living in a heavily infested deer-tick area of upstate New York state
(thanks to the fact that the state still won't allow any type of hunting on
nearby state park land and the deer reproduce far greater than local
rabbits), I can relate a few tidbits of deer tick information from personal
experience:

1) A deer tick bite (assuming the tick is still not attached) will appear
as a bulls-eye type red mark in the area immediately surrounding the bite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lymebite.png

2) An engorged deer tick still attached to the skin will be much bigger
than a pin head. The tick's body, which will be the part above the skin,
will be grey in color and about the depth of a pencil eraser, but narrower
in width.

3) If you do spot a tick on your skin, all of the OWT about how to remove
them (touching it with a burnt match head, covering it with Vasoline, etc.)
are, in fact, fallacy and can result in the tick regurgitating its contents
back into your bloodstream. Definitely increases the chances of
contracting Lyme disease.

We have been most successful using a tick puller, which is a US 5$ plastic
set of wide tweezers that pinch the tick in the area just at skin level.
With a slow, gentle rotating and pulling motion, this tool will pull the
tick intact from the skin, as opposed to leaving the head behind, another
potentially dangerous side-effect of using an incorrect method. If you
don't have this special tool, a standard set of tweezers will work, but use
caution to not squeeze the body of the tick too hard.

You then should throw the tick into a plastic sandwich bag and bring it to
your local health department for Lyme disease testing, as well as notify
your doctor.

4) A fully engorged tick will eventually drop off on its own, usually after
only a couple of days, to then reproduce.

Somewhere I read that only about 1 in 100,000 ticks carry Lyme disease, but
I don't have a site.

--
Peter
Old September 13th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Mxsmanic wrote:

Emily writes:

This wasn't an AME.

Then see a doctor who is. I doubt that she will concur with this
armchair diagnosis of depression. Better yet, find an AME who is also
a psychiatrist, if such exist.

That is actually very bad advice to those pilots who value their medical
certificate. A real pilot knows not to place the responsibilities of
normal healthcare in the hands of the same doctor who signs one's medical
certificate.

--
Peter
Old September 13th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
The med school washouts can always go to flight school, which will then
qualify them as experts in all matters medical, political, financial, etc.

And the flight school washouts can whine about airport noise.

Old September 13th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..
Besides, she implied she was "twenty something". Like maybe "twenty
twenty-five"?

Nawh, if a woman says "twenty something", it means that at best, her 30th
birthday is coming up rather soon...

Old September 13th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Peter R." wrote in message
That is actually very bad advice to those pilots who value their medical
certificate. A real pilot knows not to place the responsibilities of
normal healthcare in the hands of the same doctor who signs one's medical
certificate.

My philosophy is to not go to doctors unless something is obviously broken
(i.e. bone sticking through the skin, etc)... The problem with going to the
doctor is that you find out things that you really don't want to know...

Old September 13th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Let him know in no uncertain terms that this 'diagnosis' will cause you
financial harm, and that a wrong diagnosis will cause HIM financial harm.

Nawh, Emily's in Texas now, so it's, "a wrong diagnosis will case him
*physical* harm"...

Old September 13th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
news
Her new internist blew her off. Now it's her turn.

So, you're saying that she should blow off her internist?

Hmmm... That might work... dirty-old-man-grin

And yet another USENET topic morphs into a sex thread...