Must haves!

Old May 4th 04, 10:52 AM
Graham

Default Must haves!

Having been out of simming for a good couple of years (I took up the
real thing!), I'm wondering what are the must haves. I see there is
Ultimate traffic and My Traffic. Any real difference between the two?
What is required nowadays for online flying etc. Any other add-ons
that you just wouldn't be without? All suggestions/comments welcomed

regards
Graham
Old May 4th 04, 05:13 PM
jafar

On Tue, 04 May 2004 10:52:58 +0100, Graham
wrote:

Having been out of simming for a good couple of years (I took up the
real thing!), I'm wondering what are the must haves. I see there is
Ultimate traffic and My Traffic. Any real difference between the two?
What is required nowadays for online flying etc. Any other add-ons
that you just wouldn't be without? All suggestions/comments welcomed

regards
Graham

Well the Blue Sphere rplacement textuers and one of the water texture
hacks would make things look nicer. Some higher resolution meshes
would make things more interesting too

--
Jafar As-Sadiq Calley
Senior 1st Officer
Old May 4th 04, 07:23 PM
MajorUrsa

wrote:

Having been out of simming for a good couple of years (I took up the
real thing!), I'm wondering what are the must haves. I see there is
Ultimate traffic and My Traffic. Any real difference between the two?
What is required nowadays for online flying etc. Any other add-ons
that you just wouldn't be without? All suggestions/comments welcomed

regards
Graham

Well the Blue Sphere rplacement textuers and one of the water texture
hacks would make things look nicer. Some higher resolution meshes
would make things more interesting too

Correct, and Ultimate Traffic and some weather engine; the built-in
FS2004 weather does a reasonable job but I prefer ActiveSky from
http://www.hifisim.com/

I'm not entirely sure but the difference between MyTraffic and Ultimate
Traffic is that the latter one is based on real (dec 2003) airline
schedules and MyTraffic uses it's own intelligent patterns. I use UT and
it may seem the logical choice. Be warned though that 'real' traffic can
not be handled by the AI ATC of FS2004 so pile-ups emerge, both for
take-off as for landings, which is not very realistic. It may be that
MyTraffic gives a more realistic impression, but I haven't tried it.

Ursa..

--
==================================
Ursa (Major)/ \ *-*-* *

Old May 11th 04, 03:15 AM
nathantw

I have Ultimate Traffic and it's pretty cool. However, since I have daylight
savings here in California I'm suffering from the programming problem in FS9
where it doesn't know how to compensate for it. So flights that are suppose
to be taking off at 10 don't actually take off until 11. Also, I'm not sure
if this is an Ultimate Traffic problem or not, but all the strobes on the
planes landing at night are in sync meaning they all blink at the exact same
time. That looks really hokey.

I've actually been looking at getting My Traffic because the planes
supposedly have correct places to park, such as Fed Ex will park in a Fed Ex
place and United Airlines will park in their places at an airport. Ultimate
Traffic's default is all planes park whereever there's room.

Old May 11th 04, 08:30 AM
Alan White

On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:15:59 GMT, "nathantw"
wrote:

I've actually been looking at getting My Traffic because the planes
supposedly have correct places to park, such as Fed Ex will park in a Fed Ex
place and United Airlines will park in their places at an airport. Ultimate
Traffic's default is all planes park whereever there's room.

Get ADCAD (found at avsim.com).

This is a utility that will, among a lot of other very useful things,
enable you to allocate parking spaces to specific airlines.

--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow.
Old May 11th 04, 09:12 AM
Alan White

Get ADCAD (found at avsim.com).

....should read 'AFCAD'.

(I *must* not post before breakfast).

(Posted *during* breakfast).

Old May 11th 04, 03:33 PM
MajorUrsa

nathantw wrote:
I have Ultimate Traffic and it's pretty cool. However, since I have daylight
savings here in California I'm suffering from the programming problem in FS9
where it doesn't know how to compensate for it. So flights that are suppose
to be taking off at 10 don't actually take off until 11.

Remember that the schedule used by UT is from december 2003. To make
meaningfull flightplans these have to be deduced to UTC somehow. The
same moment in UTC means a different clock in May.

Also, I'm not sure
if this is an Ultimate Traffic problem or not, but all the strobes on the
planes landing at night are in sync meaning they all blink at the exact same
time. That looks really hokey.

Never noticed that. Will take a look. This would diminish realism I
agree. It is probably a blinking 'texture' and not part of the
AI-simulation 'per' aircraft, which would be too expensive in processortime.

I've actually been looking at getting My Traffic because the planes
supposedly have correct places to park, such as Fed Ex will park in a Fed Ex
place and United Airlines will park in their places at an airport. Ultimate
Traffic's default is all planes park whereever there's room.

As Alan White pointed out during breakfast this depends on the AFCAD
file used. UT comes with a load of AFCADs for the major airports, but
none of them have specified parking spots. For most airports you can
find very good alternatives on Avsim and the ususal places, that will
provide these spots as close to reality as is usefull. You can put these
in the Addon/Scenery folder.(You might want to displace the AFCAD that
UT put there, find the F1UT_xxxx.bgl, where xxxx is the ICAO name of the
field).

So no need to switch to MyTraffic for this reason alone.

Old May 11th 04, 10:31 PM
John Ward

Hi Alan,

Grilled Kippers?

Regards,
John

Old May 11th 04, 10:35 PM
John Ward

Hi MajorUrsa,

There's a file on Avsim/FlightSim that makes the strobes asynchronous

asynchronous_strobes_effects.zip, I think......

Regards,
John

Old May 12th 04, 01:29 AM
Major Ursa

John Ward wrote:

Hi MajorUrsa,

There's a file on Avsim/FlightSim that makes the strobes asynchronous

asynchronous_strobes_effects.zip, I think......

Hey cool, thanks John.

BTW. for the UT part of this thread there is a summer-schedule
(actuallly schedule of last may) update for UT availabe on
http://www.flight1.com/ Cost you US$6

Ursa..

--
Ursa (Major)/ \ *-*-* *