Becker & Headsets

Old January 10th 10, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob 7U

Default Becker & Headsets

Hi,
I have a Becker 3201, connected to a Becker Speaker box (1PL 042) that
has two DIN sockets. One is currently being use by the Mic and the
other I believe is for a headset.
Any ideas where I can get a lightweight headset with the DIN
connection?

Thanks,

Bob 7U
Old January 10th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

Bob:

Instead of a headset, which runs the risk of scratching or cracking
the canopy, you might consider one of those plug-in earpieces many
airline pilots use. Here's a link from Sporty's: http://sportys.com/
PilotShop/category/776 I've never used one, but know other glider
pilots who have. Fred
Old January 10th 10, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

both of these DIN connectors on the Becker loudspeaker junction box are for
Microphone inputs (for 2 seaters) and have leads for Audio output also. The
Mic inputs can be selected on the radio itself for dynamic (non-amplified)
microphones or amplified (standard) amplified dynamic, electret, or carbon
type) microphones on the 3201 via a jumper in the radio you can select
either or mic type but not both at once)
these connectors also have audio output and ground so you can use headphone
from either din connector, you just would have to make a Din connector on a
headphone to use this connector.
see diagrams and installation on my website "useful info" page
http://wingsandwheels.com/useful.htm
tim

Old January 10th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

"Bob 7U" wrote in message

Hi,
I have a Becker 3201, connected to a Becker Speaker box (1PL 042) that
has two DIN sockets. One is currently being use by the Mic and the
other I believe is for a headset.
Any ideas where I can get a lightweight headset with the DIN
connection?

Thanks,

Bob 7U

The original question was not clear. Is this a motoglider or
conventional glider? Is it a headset (with mic) or just a set of
heaphones that is wanted?

If its a motorglider I do recommend the Clarity Aloft Fred linked to.
I fly with them. However if it is a conventional glider then the level
of isolation (~30dB on the Clarity Aloft) is way too high and you miss
all those audible cues we need for better gliding (and safety). That
may of course be irrelevant if the original issue is needing louder
volume becasue of hearing loss. Also headsets like the Clarity Aloft
with their expanding foam earpieces are intended to be inserted once
per flight and left there. You can't quickly reinsert like you want
for a quick engine restart. But those earbuds are a standard size and
it is possible to replace the foam type with a slightly less isolation
type that is great for quickly donning (but with slightly less
isolation). See http://www.darryl-ramm.com/2007/03/c...aloft-headset/

The Becker junction box while handy for basic installs is a fairly
useless design when using a headset. Becker makes a headset with a DIN
plug connection. I have no idea what the headset looks like or if it
is any good. You could cut of the leads off a conventional headset and
install a din plug. Then you can't use that anywhere else. I would
install the 1/4" phone jacks used for a conventional headset (and mic
if wanted Switchcraft series 480/PL-68) jacks. I am not sure if there
is room inside the junction box to do that but that is what I'd look
at first.

The 4201 has a nice wiring diagram in the back of the manual. I assume
the 3201 manual has a similar diagram. Remember things are likely
wired for a dynamic mic, which most new headsets will have.

If this is a motorglider, or even an conventional glider and you want
a headset with a microphone then it is likely a good idea to mute the
conventional microphone in the cockpit. That requires either wiring a
conventional phone style mic jack type to suppress the fixed
microphone or installing a selector switch for the microphone (you
could do that in the junction box).

Another choice is to just run a new set of wires for the headphone
from the back of the radio and install conventional headset jacks
elsewhere. That way you can put the mic selector switch in easy reach
on the panel (which is what I have).

If you just want a headphone (no mic) I would look at trying to modify
the junction box to replace the the stupid DIN socket with a standard
1/4" phone jack. I would stay away from making any type of inline
adapter. Too many things to fail or get unplugged. And DIN plugs tend
to be less robust than a well installed/high quality phone style plug
and since this is a headset or at least headphone it is likely to get
accidently pulled on/mishandled.

Remember mic phone style plugs are .206" not 1/4" like headphone
jacks. Look for parts made by Switchcraft.

(Does it show that I *hate* stupid DIN connectors)

Darryl
Old January 10th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob 7U

Thanks for all leads and tips that you have provided. It seems that
what I am after is a single sided headphone like the Telex 750 SS from
Sporty's.
The original problem with hearing the speaker is that it is mounted
behind the back panel and facing the undercarriage. There doesn't seem
to be an easy place to mount the speaker box that will allow access to
the linkages etc and face the pilot so I guess the previous owner did
it this way for a reason.
I was thinking that I could just use the the second DIN connection for
a headset. This would be a semi permanent installation so the DIN
would be useful as it does have the threaded retention collar. Maybe I
will replace the plug on the Telex for a DIN and leave it connected.
Would this override the speaker or would I have both speaker and
headphone at the same time?
Tim, do you sell the Telex?

Bob 7U

isolation). Seehttp://www.darryl-ramm.com/2007/03/clarity-aloft-headset/

Old January 10th 10, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

"Bob 7U" wrote in message

[...]

Plugging in headphones to the DIN connector will not take the speaker
out of the circuit (or the mic) things that are easy to do with phone
jacks. That may or may not be what you want. It may be more important
to switch out the mic. I've seen problems with the cockpit mic and air
vents blowing on them etc.. You could add a remote switch if needed.
There is no way to relocate the speaker box? To the side of the
pilot's head?

Darryl
Old January 11th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

Fred wrote:
Bob:

Instead of a headset, which runs the risk of scratching or cracking
the canopy,.....

Which is why I stopped using the empty (wide mouthed) water bottles to
replace their former contents. :-) I was amazed that the canopy didn't
shatter.

Tony V. LS6-b "6N"
Old January 11th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

On Jan 10, 4:33*pm, Tony V wrote:
Fred wrote:
Bob:

Instead of a headset, which runs the risk of scratching or cracking
the canopy,.....

Which is why I stopped using the empty (wide mouthed) water bottles to
replace their former contents. :-) I was amazed that the canopy didn't
shatter.

Tony V. LS6-b "6N"

Bob: I have a single-ear David Clark headset with a din plug on it.
I bought it blind thinking it would be good for a hearing-impaired
student I was working with, but it was not and I still have it. I
don't remember what I paid for it, but it was less than $100 and I'd
gladly ship it to you for that and you can see if you can modify it
for what you are doing. Let me know if this sounds interesting. Fred

FS: Becker Transponder Fox Two Soaring 2 October 29th 10 11:55 PM
Becker vs Microair Dixie Sierra Soaring 31 August 19th 08 06:02 PM
Looking for a Becker AR3201 Ira Blieden Soaring 0 December 8th 06 01:38 PM
Becker radio AD Tom Serkowski Soaring 3 November 2nd 04 01:43 AM
Microair vs Becker Ian McPhee Soaring 0 August 30th 03 09:45 PM