U.S. FAA Certificate Replacement Problem

Old January 10th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_12_]

Default U.S. FAA Certificate Replacement Problem

I recently tried to use the FAA's online procedure for replacing my
paper certificates with the required plastic ones. I had no trouble
at all with my Ground Instructor and Parachute Rigger tickets, but the
site refused to let me replace my Commercial license, citing error #
214.

After some digging around, I found that the problem was the presence
of the 'Aerotow' launch type next to my glider rating. Apparently the
FAA no longer includes launch type on the glider rating, and the
automated process wasn't smart enough to simply remove it.

I wound up calling the FAA Airman Certificate Office at (866)
878-2498, waiting interminably until I got to an actual human, who
then immediately removed the rating(s) from my record. Then I was
able to go through the web process, pay my $2.00 via credit card, and
get my plastic certificate.

Note that if you call the ACB and select menu choice 1 -- 2
("Information regarding replacement of your airman certificate...."),
you will suffer through a long explanation, and then be directed to
the FAA website, without ever having the opportunity to talk to a
human. You must instead choose 1 -- 1 ("Info concerning date of
issue currently being processed..."), suffer through the interminable
wait, and then tell the human what you want.

TA
Old January 10th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default You don't need to call! was: U.S. FAA Certificate Replacement Problem

On Jan 10, 11:18*am, Frank wrote:
[...]

You don't need to call! Just mail in the request for a replacement
certificate, send a check for $2. Worked for me.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old January 10th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Now that you have had the "Aero Tow" removed from your certificate,
Be sure to get the endorsement added to your logbook. :)

Granted 61.31(J)(2) says that a rating issued before 1997 is considered to
be incompliance.
But your new certificate will have a 2010 date of issue.
There should be a log book entry for your initial glider check ride signed
by the examiner or DPE that should cover it.

BT

Old January 10th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:09:14 -0800, "BT" wrote:

Now that you have had the "Aero Tow" removed from your certificate,
Be sure to get the endorsement added to your logbook. :)

Granted 61.31(J)(2) says that a rating issued before 1997 is considered to
be incompliance.
But your new certificate will have a 2010 date of issue.
There should be a log book entry for your initial glider check ride signed
by the examiner or DPE that should cover it.

BT

.... text deleted ...

I seem to remember some discussion in the past relating to a method to
obtain the new plastic FAA certificate with the original issue date
of the old paper certificate.

Anyone recall this?

Bob
Old January 11th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Jan 10, 5:36*pm, Bob Gibbons wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:09:14 -0800, "BT" wrote:
Now that you have had the "Aero Tow" removed from your certificate,
Be sure to get the endorsement added to your logbook. :)

Granted 61.31(J)(2) says that a rating issued before 1997 is considered to
be incompliance.
But your new certificate will have a 2010 date of issue.
There should be a log book entry for your initial glider check ride signed
by the examiner or DPE that should cover it.

BT

... text deleted ...

I seem to remember some discussion in the past relating to a method to
obtain the new plastic FAA *certificate with the original issue date
of the old paper certificate.

Anyone recall this?

Bob

The FAA specifically says that they will not do this.

-T8
Old January 11th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TDixon

I checked with my local FAA office regarding the endorsement issue
since the ones who did mine are deceased, they told me to keep my old
paper certificate with my log books.

Tom

Old January 11th 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve

Save the $2. Just ask to change to a new cert. number from your SS
number. That's free.

Steve

Old January 11th 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Frank,
You da man! I have been suffering through the same problem. I passed
through about an hour of FAA no progress calls on Friday about this
very problem. Thanks so much for posting this so I can get the stupid
web form to work. Thanks!

Bruno - B4

Old January 11th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

either that or get the CFIG to put the endorsement in the logbook at your
next flight review.
BT