Which ClearNav vario display?

Old July 15th 18, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Which ClearNav vario display?

Curious how CN users feel about the need for using both the 57mm round mechanical pointer and the LCD NavDisplay.

If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round LCD NavDisplay?

Thanks.
Old July 15th 18, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not sure of the question, but if it's which ClearNav VARIO display to use (and not comparing the vario's LCD display with the big ClearNav navigation tablet device), I'd love to have both. The thermal assistant is marvelous, but only available on the LCD display. The ribbon indicator for the vario portion on that display doesn't work for me. Despite trying to retrain myself, I end up watching the needle of my old Winter next to it and listening to the CNv audio instead. So I'd rather have both, and I believe the vario will drive them simultaneously.

In fact, if someone wants to sell their mechanical pointer display, let me know privately: jnbearden AT aol DOT com or at the other address using Google Groups.

Chip Bearden
Old July 15th 18, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 10:19:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Curious how CN users feel about the need for using both the 57mm round mechanical pointer and the LCD NavDisplay.

If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round LCD NavDisplay?

Thanks.

Sorry -- s/b If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round mechanical pointer?
Old July 15th 18, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 8:05:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 10:19:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Curious how CN users feel about the need for using both the 57mm round mechanical pointer and the LCD NavDisplay.

If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round LCD NavDisplay?

Thanks.

Sorry -- s/b If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round mechanical pointer?

Since the square E-Reader vario display came out, there is no need for the round one.
Jim
Old July 15th 18, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 12:06:04 AM UTC-4, JS wrote:
On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 8:05:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 10:19:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Curious how CN users feel about the need for using both the 57mm round mechanical pointer and the LCD NavDisplay.

If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round LCD NavDisplay?

Thanks.

Sorry -- s/b If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round mechanical pointer?

Since the square E-Reader vario display came out, there is no need for the round one.
Jim

I disagree with Jim, and agree with Chip. I end up listening to the audio, glancing at the TA screen which is great, and also at the needle on my S3 vario. The tape display on the digital display doesn't do it for me. I also wish for a mute switch, or knob to rapidly change the audio level on the CNv digital display, rather than through the menu.
Old July 15th 18, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:35:24 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
[...]

I prefer to have the square display and use my Winter to get my needle movement info. In one ship I have both the round and square because I bought the square later and had panel room. My scan still prefers rotating needle and I get info better from 3-1/8 vario than the smaller.
FWIW
UH
Old July 15th 18, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le samedi 14 juillet 2018 22:19:46 UTC-4, a écritÂ*:
Curious how CN users feel about the need for using both the 57mm round mechanical pointer and the LCD NavDisplay.

If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round LCD NavDisplay?

Thanks.

I have the CNv x/c analog display. Do not like the digital display specialy the ribbon.
We need a 80 mm analog display and maybe we would get all the info promise way
back when we got the analog vario and not delivered now or never.
Otherwise great vario, connected to a Oudie the TA is very good much better than on it's own.
Gilles
Old July 15th 18, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

I have both displays. The square display is much more readable, and includes the thermal assistant which is very very good. The only thing you want the round display for is a needle. The only reason for a needle is a quick glance at thermal strength as you are entering a thermal -- you have set the needle to relative netto while in cruise mode, so it answers "if I stop in this thermal what will its strength be?" That's it. For that purpose, it's a quicker read than the ribbon on the left of the square display. The audio is all you need for centering, and you should be looking outside anyway. The big fat number on the top right of the square display is where you look for thermal average for the stay/leave decision.

There may be a way to put the current relative netto on the numerical display in cruise. (I have pure netto there, with a long time constant). They you really wouldn't need the needle at all. Beep beep,,.. says 4 knots, it's a 4 knot thermal. You know there is lift, the question is, is this strong enough to stop, and a number is the way to answer this. The number may be moving around too fast to read though.. worth a try.

I disagree with UH. I would not want to look at a mechanical flow based needle. You want to look at a needle of the same vario feeding you audio, you want to look at relative netto not TE vario, and you don't want to mix a flow based system and pressure transducer system on the same line. Chuck the mechanical all together. I used to have a borgelt B40 backup -- self powered electric and pressure transducer, with audio. It's a lot better backup than a mechanical. Rex sold me on the idea of two separate CN varios so the round unit is a backup. This may reflect Rex's amazing salesmanship more than a practical idea.

Bottom line, if you only have room for one, choose the square display.

John Cochrane BB
Old July 15th 18, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:52:20 AM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
I have both displays. The square display is much more readable, and includes the thermal assistant which is very very good. The only thing you want the round display for is a needle. The only reason for a needle is a quick glance at thermal strength as you are entering a thermal -- you have set the needle to relative netto while in cruise mode, so it answers "if I stop in this thermal what will its strength be?" That's it. For that purpose, it's a quicker read than the ribbon on the left of the square display. The audio is all you need for centering, and you should be looking outside anyway. The big fat number on the top right of the square display is where you look for thermal average for the stay/leave decision.

There may be a way to put the current relative netto on the numerical display in cruise, and have a numerical display of the current TE vario in climb mode rather than the ribbon. (I have pure netto there, with a long time constant). They you really wouldn't need the needle at all. Beep beep,,.. says 4 knots, it's a 4 knot thermal. You know there is lift, the question is, is this strong enough to stop, and a number is the way to answer this. The number may be moving around too fast to read though.. worth a try.

Old July 15th 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:54:04 AM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
[...]

Isn't that what the pop up on the square display tells you? How fast I might climb in this thermal? That is one of the more useful features of the square display, or the CNv as a whole. (You may have to enable that feature, not sure if it is default).