Inertial reel shoulder harness - retro fit?

Old March 21st 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Inertial reel shoulder harness - retro fit?

Hi all,

I'm shopping for an inertial reel shoulder harness for a 1976 C-172M. I've
been to the B.A.S., Inc. site and seen their product line. Are there any
others?

Any comments about switching out the old shoulder strap (fixed w/adjustable
buckle) for the inertial reel?

Old March 21st 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Casey Wilson N2310D @ gmail.com wrote:
Hi all,

I'm shopping for an inertial reel shoulder harness for a 1976 C-172M. I've
been to the B.A.S., Inc. site and seen their product line. Are there any
others?

Any comments about switching out the old shoulder strap (fixed w/adjustable
buckle) for the inertial reel?

Inertia reels are very convenient, until they stop working right, and
then they're totaly useless and a royal pain in the ass.

A strap with an adjustable buckle is always sort of annoying, but
never fails. I'll go with simple but foolproof every time.
Old March 21st 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yes. http://www.amsafeaviation.com/generalaviation.htm
Old March 21st 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote:
I'm shopping for an inertial reel shoulder harness for a 1976 C-172M.
I've
been to the B.A.S., Inc. site and seen their product line. Are there any
others?

Yes. http://www.amsafeaviation.com/generalaviation.htm

Thanks... but all I found there was a pointer to go look at the B.A.S.
website.

Old March 22nd 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I installed the B.A.S. on my '65 Skyhawk. I love them. Both front seats
have it. The owner was great to work with and sent sample colors for me
to match. He asked that I send them back when I finished. You can move
around with out the solid hardpoint Cessna shoulder strap. You can
always check the inertial reel by quickly pulling on the strap. Locks up
each time.

Ross

Old March 22nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've decided to opt for the B.A.S. system for the SkyHawk. In response
to the post about the reel breaking down and the belt then being useless --
I find lots of testimonial about how the shoulder harness prevented serious,
perhaps even fatal, injury and nothing about the reels breaking down.
My problem with the fixed length, is that even with the belt loosened to
its max length, I can't reach the fuel selector valve on the floor. With it
cinched down for take off, I can't touch the instrument panel with my finger
tips and its all I can do to keep the throttle all the way in with only one
finger pushing on it.
The last thing I'd want to contend with if the whirly thing quit, is
unfastening that belt to get to the valve and then buckling it back up
before making an off field landing if I couldn't get the noise maker back in
operation.
Ross, thanks for the positive response. Too bad there's no competition
for B.A.S. to get the price down.

Go Fly!

Old March 23rd 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Engine failure -- was Inertial reel shoulder harness - retro fit?

Granted that engine failure (stopping the whirly thing up front) is
uncommon it happens often enough that we drill on it in primary training,
flight reviews, and.... And every POH I've seen, certainly not all by a
long shot, has a check list for engine failure in various scenarios. If
something impedes me performing the check list ... Yeah, I worry about it.
Or did I miss your point, Newps?

Old March 23rd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Casey Wilson wrote:
snip
Ross, thanks for the positive response. Too bad there's no competition
for B.A.S. to get the price down.

If you're looking for an alternative to BAS inertial reels, try these
guys (just try to look past the horrible website design...)

http://www.davisaircraftproducts.com/

They'll build to suit, and their products are STC'd (not just FAA/PMA
approved).

The only downside is that they won't give you a quote (even a "ballpark
number") until you give them all the specs and they work up the exact
design, including prints, and get your approval on them. Don't ask me why.

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old March 23rd 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Doug Vetter" wrote in message

If you're looking for an alternative to BAS inertial reels, try these guys
(just try to look past the horrible website design...)

http://www.davisaircraftproducts.com/

Got another web address for them that one doesn't seem to work.

Crouch Strap story Ed Byars Soaring 43 September 23rd 13 05:43 PM
Surplus Shoulder harness? Michael Horowitz Home Built 2 May 19th 05 12:37 AM
Cessna 150 Inertia Reel Shoulder Harnesses MRQB Owning 1 April 10th 04 07:16 AM
Citabria aerobatic harness Ed Wild Aerobatics 0 February 1st 04 05:38 PM