Power Lines..

Old August 21st 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Default Power Lines..

I've seen power lines marked on sectionals. How high are the highest
major power transmission lines? They look quite high from the ground,
but there's not much to give perspective.

--Dan

Old August 21st 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On 20 Aug 2006 22:18:35 -0700, "Dan" wrote:
I've seen power lines marked on sectionals. How high are the highest
major power transmission lines? They look quite high from the ground,
but there's not much to give perspective.

They vary depending upon a lot of factors from what I understand...
The highest one is over in Europe and is 227 meters tall...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbe_crossing_2

Most of the ones that I see locally are probably only 200-300 ft tall
at most...
Old August 21st 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Dan wrote:
I've seen power lines marked on sectionals. How high are the highest
major power transmission lines? They look quite high from the ground,
but there's not much to give perspective.

--Dan

Power lines are marked for use as visual landmarks, NOT as obstructions.
Old August 21st 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Ron Natalie wrote:
Dan wrote:

I've seen power lines marked on sectionals. How high are the highest
major power transmission lines? They look quite high from the ground,
but there's not much to give perspective.

--Dan

Power lines are marked for use as visual landmarks, NOT as obstructions.

Agreed.. the right of ways are very distinctive when they head off
through forestland..

I live on the gulf coast, and pretty much the vast majority are 200 feet
or less. Crossing a major ship channel, or the mississippi, you may find
them up to 500 feet agl though, to allow ships to pass under.

Dave
Old August 21st 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Power lines are marked for use as visual landmarks, NOT as obstructions.

Unless it is a catanary spanning a valley.
Old August 21st 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

There are some awesome powerlines spanning valleys in Idaho near the
Snake River and let me tell you they are a loong way up from the bottom
of the valley, easily 500', probably 1000' or more.... Some of the
lines are on the sectional. I've never seen a power line on a sectonal
marked with obstruction footage, but they might exist.

Old August 21st 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Doug wrote:
There are some awesome powerlines spanning valleys in Idaho near the
Snake River and let me tell you they are a loong way up from the bottom
of the valley, easily 500', probably 1000' or more.... Some of the
lines are on the sectional. I've never seen a power line on a sectonal
marked with obstruction footage, but they might exist.

john smith wrote:
In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Power lines are marked for use as visual landmarks, NOT as obstructions.

Unless it is a catanary spanning a valley.

I was assuming we were talking the normal chart power line symbol
(these look like little power line towers with lines connecting
them). Where the towers themselves are obstructions one of the
obstruction symbols (inverted V with a . in it) will be shown.
An example around here is on the Potomac river just north
of Quantico, VA (more apparent on the Washington/Baltimore
TAC chart than the Washington Sectional).

Old August 21st 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article .com,
"Doug" wrote:

I've never seen a power line on a sectonal
marked with obstruction footage, but they might exist.

Several years ago, the FAA added the symbol for a catenary by
highlighting/darkening/thickening the line where it is strung across a
valley.
Old August 21st 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:39:14 GMT, Dave S
wrote:
I live on the gulf coast, and pretty much the vast majority are 200 feet
or less. Crossing a major ship channel, or the mississippi, you may find
them up to 500 feet agl though, to allow ships to pass under.

They don't need 500 ft to allow the ships to pass underneath, but
since the lines dip in the center between the towers and this is a
function of the distance between the towers, crossing a major waterway
would require the towers to be higher since the distance between
towers is greater... I'm not sure what the tallest ship might happen
to be... Probably 300 ft at the most... According to the following
link, there was a sail powered ship that had a 295 ft carbon fiber
mast... That sounds impressive...

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...recordid=43706

An aircraft carrier requires about 215 ft above the waterline for
clearance of bridges and such... For power lines, you would probably
want to add another 100 or 200 ft for safety...
Old August 21st 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

How high must they be to fall into the FAA's definition of
obstructions?

--Dan

Ron Natalie wrote:
Doug wrote:
There are some awesome powerlines spanning valleys in Idaho near the
Snake River and let me tell you they are a loong way up from the bottom
of the valley, easily 500', probably 1000' or more.... Some of the
lines are on the sectional. I've never seen a power line on a sectonal
marked with obstruction footage, but they might exist.