Cobra hydraulic bottle jacks - where to buy?

Old December 3rd 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default Cobra hydraulic bottle jacks - where to buy?

"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
Bumper said he could get the jack apart with a pipe wrench on the large
hex near the top of the reservoir. I tried with an extension on my pipe
wrench handle but nearly tore the vise off the bench, The nut didn't
budge!

Hartley Falbaum

Hartley,

A shaped charge will get it apart real quick. When you think about it, there
are very few problems in life that can't be handled with good explosives.

And to think Oakland PD actually sent me to FBI bomb school . . .

bumper
zz
Minden

Old December 3rd 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Goddard

"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
:

I did exactly that a few years ago. All dimensions were the same except the
bushing in the ram was a different size. I didn't have a lathe at the time,
so I took it back and bit the bullet for a new Cobra. Now I could do the job
in about 15 min including set-up. But still crappy quality.

Bumper said he could get the jack apart with a pipe wrench on the large hex
near the top of the reservoir. I tried with an extension on my pipe wrench
handle but nearly tore the vise off the bench, The nut didn't budge!

You forgot the basics, Hartley!

"Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"

:-)

zero one

Old December 3rd 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

"bumper" wrote in message

"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
Bumper said he could get the jack apart with a pipe wrench on the large
hex near the top of the reservoir. I tried with an extension on my pipe
wrench handle but nearly tore the vise off the bench, The nut didn't
budge!

Hartley Falbaum

Hartley,

A shaped charge will get it apart real quick. When you think about it,
there are very few problems in life that can't be handled with good
explosives.

And to think Oakland PD actually sent me to FBI bomb school . . .

bumper
zz
Minden

Thanks Bumper--that helps.

I was thinking of using my plasma cutter and wearing a Kevlar/Nomex suit.

Could work!

Hartley

Old December 3rd 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

I'm ignorant on these matters - any specific kind of hydraulic fluid
needed for these POS jacks? Mine doesn't leak yet (one season old)
but better safe than sorry....

Kirk
66
Old December 3rd 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

"Larry Goddard" wrote in message ...
"HL Falbaum" wrote in message :

I did exactly that a few years ago. All dimensions were the same except the
bushing in the ram was a different size. I didn't have a lathe at the time,
so I took it back and bit the bullet for a new Cobra. Now I could do the job
in about 15 min including set-up. But still crappy quality.

Bumper said he could get the jack apart with a pipe wrench on the large hex
near the top of the reservoir. I tried with an extension on my pipe wrench
handle but nearly tore the vise off the bench, The nut didn't budge!

You forgot the basics, Hartley!

"Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"

:-)

zero one

Ah--Yesssss!

I'll try that next time!

Hartley KF

Old December 3rd 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Tractor supply places sell hydraulic oil by the 5 gallon pail. There are
also petroleum distribution outlets in many cities that carry pretty much
all a major brands stuff (Chevron, Shell etc). Most all auto parts stores
(Kragen, NAPA etc) will have hydraulic "jack" oil by the quart.

bumper

Old August 16th 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, December 1, 2008 at 3:36:00 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I am looking for a source for a replacement bottle jack for a cobra
trailer ramp (yes, I know I should switch to the mechanical jack and
all problems will go away, but I don't want to go down that route
yet). The Torin 2-ton jack that Walmart and Autozone sell is extremely
poorly built, in addition to the dimensions not being quite right.
Somebody must have gone through this before and found a decent source?

Yes, another old thread brought back from the not-so dead.

Wings And Wheels are currently out of stock of hydraulic jacks (August 2017).

Tractor Supply and Pep Boys both have the pseudo- replacement for the standard single-seat Cobra jack. The same Torin Big Red 2-ton Hydraulic Floor Jack, SKU 0116479 or 1024519. They have been on sale for $20, but not visible on the Tractor Supply website right now.
CAUTION: Because it's typical Chinese rubbish, there will be slight differences in construction due to which children would work the cheapest when the order came in.
I found the Tractor Supply part 0116479 had the pivot point for the actuator arm slightly higher than the one that was in the trailer, so needed to drill and add a steel rivet and washer to provide the upper stop for the foot pedal. Also drilled a shallow hole in the end cap of the cylinder for the end of the return spring to sit in.
The bleed valve to lower the Tractor Supply jack had different threads to the part removed from the trailer, so no easy swap there.
Jim

Old August 16th 17, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 1, 2008 at 11:36:00 PM UTC, wrote:
I am looking for a source for a replacement bottle jack for a cobra
trailer ramp (yes, I know I should switch to the mechanical jack and
all problems will go away, but I don't want to go down that route
yet). The Torin 2-ton jack that Walmart and Autozone sell is extremely
poorly built, in addition to the dimensions not being quite right.
Somebody must have gone through this before and found a decent source?

price is up to the buyer!
Old August 17th 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 2:15:19 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
[...]

The cylinder for single seat gliders mentioned above measures about 7" / 18cm center to center when compressed.
Does anyone know of a replacement part for the cylinder used for heavier gliders, which is 8 1/4" / 21cm center to center when compressed?

QNIMC: Do you have a supplier of high-quality parts for the job?
Jim
Old August 17th 17, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 4:55:29 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
[...]

I don't know of anything specific.

US Jacks make a big thing about their jacks being US made.. except a few jacks like their small imported floor jacks... but still might be worth pinging them.

I really like my AC Hydraulic (made in Denmark) floor jack, I believe they use Weber Hydralik (made in Germany) cylinders at least for some of their stuff. If I can pull it out some time I'll measure it's cylinder. Weber brought out USA based Hyco International which makes heavy hydraulic gear in the USA. Might be worth contacting Hyco/Weber Hydralik USA and seeing what is available or Pelican Parts (where I got my AC Hydraulic floor jack) might be able to source parts or measure cylinders for you if you don't mind the sticker price of sacrificing a quality floor jack.

It's well beyond time that Spindleberger stopped risking expensive gliders by putting these awful jacks in their trailers. It's even worse when there is a leading manufacturer like Weber in Germany they could be working with/sourcing from.