Private pilot license

Old February 16th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Private pilot license

Jose, tell us from where does your vast knowledge of the US aviation
regulatory system come.

It comes from almost fifty years of studying and using the English
language (and I will refrain from commenting on the structure of the
above quoted sentence). It comes from Usenet posts (that is, I am not
offering my independent knowledge, but rather, my interpretation of the
knowledge that is offered as support for the position with which I disagree)

Jose
Old February 16th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Moore wrote:

It is this little bit of freedom granted to citizens of the United
States of America that makes the difference between license and
certificate.

"United State Code TITLE 49 - TRANSPORTATION
Sec. 40103. Sovereignty and use of airspace
(2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit
through the navigable airspace."

No further granting of permission (license) is required, however, a
demonstration of training or ability (certification) may be
required. Note the ultralight Part 103 exception to the certificate
requirement.

This appears to me to be the classic case of a distinction without a
difference. If a demonstration of training or ability is required in
order to exercise a right, then it is hardly a right at all.

Matt
Old February 16th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

"Jose" wrote

The certificate confers permission to =pilot= a craft, which is more
than the "right of transit" granted above. Therefore it is a license.

My take on the whole thing is that the FAA give a certificate that says you
have passed the requirements to pilot a plane, *if* you meet many other
requirements, such as a current medical, current BFR, currency, as in recent
piloting to meet standards for carrying passengers, or conditions. (night,
or IFR as examples)

A driver's license gives you unconditional permission to drive a car, as
long as you are not impaired.

A certificate gives you permission to fly a plane, only if you meet all of
the other requirements. If it were a license, you would be good to fly,
without other strings attached.

Am I close? g

Nope, not even. My PA driver's license requires several things of me:

1. I must wear corrective lenses.
2. I can drive only the class of vehicles listed on my license.
3. I must renew the license every year by getting my picture taken any
paying $36 or so to the state

I'd hardly say that this is unconditional or without strings attached. :-)

Matt

Old July 7th 11, 02:31 PM
hamburg113 hamburg113 is offline
Junior Member

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: http://privatepilotlicense.info/

Best regards.

Last edited by hamburg113 : July 20th 11 at 09:07 AM.