landing gear cleaning

Old July 4th 04, 05:17 PM
Bob Miller

Default landing gear cleaning

What does everyone use for cleaning dirt/grease up on landing gear?
We're not satisfied with soap/water due to the fact the
brush/scrubber/sponge can't get to all the nooks and crannies. A
hangar neighbor suggested brake cleaning fluid.
Thanks
Old July 5th 04, 02:51 PM
Bob Miller

Powerwash with a good detergent
We tried a friend's power washer last year and were not happy...enough
pressure to clean was enough pressure to remove paint :-(

and rinse and then proper lube
afterwards.

Yes, lube is important, lubing after a washing or flying through hard
rain you can see water come out when adding grease

Wipe the exposed chromed parts of the struts down with a
light film of oil.

At least we don't have to bother with that (Mooney)
Old July 5th 04, 08:31 PM
hjarrett

Watch out for the brake fluid. Several kinds will attack paint and the
seals (assuming you have a pneumatic/hydraulic strut) can be damaged by the
brake fluid getting on them. Craigs suggestion of detergent is good but
remember to wipe the chrome on the strut down with the same fluid that's in
the strut before you move the plane. One pass of a dry piston on the seals
can roll or cut them and result is buying an expensive seal kit.
Hank J

"Craig" wrote in message
om...
(Bob Miller) wrote in message

. com...
What does everyone use for cleaning dirt/grease up on landing gear?
We're not satisfied with soap/water due to the fact the
brush/scrubber/sponge can't get to all the nooks and crannies. A
hangar neighbor suggested brake cleaning fluid.
Thanks

Powerwash with a good detergent and rinse and then proper lube
afterwards. Wipe the exposed chromed parts of the struts down with a
light film of oil.

Craig C.