Older Bo's

Old July 11th 04, 05:46 PM
The Weiss Family

Default Older Bo's

All,

I was recently perusing through some of the newer Trade-A-Plane listings,
and I saw tons of old Bonanzas.
Within the last 3 days of listings, there were probably 10 or more.

From previous threads in this newsgroup, I have read that the older Bo's are
expensive to maintain, typically due to the high cost on parts.
So, I was wondering why the parts are so expensive and/or hard to come by if
there are so many planes out there?

Does someone have an older Bonanza who could comment on this?

Adam

Old July 11th 04, 06:02 PM
Stu Gotts

Depends on what you consider "old". Parts for some of the older E225
engines are getting scarce, but airframe parts are pretty much
available. They're really not much more expensive than Piper or
Cessna, and probably last longer with proper maintenance. The real
question you should be asking is how well maintained are the aircraft
you're looking at. I've seen 1960 models go from $40K to $110K. Yes,
those were selling prices,

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:46:04 -0700, "The Weiss Family"
wrote:

All,

I was recently perusing through some of the newer Trade-A-Plane listings,
and I saw tons of old Bonanzas.
Within the last 3 days of listings, there were probably 10 or more.

From previous threads in this newsgroup, I have read that the older Bo's are

Old July 11th 04, 08:09 PM
Kyle Boatright

"The Weiss Family" wrote in message
All,

I was recently perusing through some of the newer Trade-A-Plane listings,
and I saw tons of old Bonanzas.
Within the last 3 days of listings, there were probably 10 or more.

From previous threads in this newsgroup, I have read that the older Bo's

are
expensive to maintain, typically due to the high cost on parts.
So, I was wondering why the parts are so expensive and/or hard to come by

if
there are so many planes out there?

Does someone have an older Bonanza who could comment on this?

Adam

As mentioned in another post, supplies of engine components for some models
are becoming problematic. An additional problem is the magnesium control
surfaces on the older aircraft, which sometimes (often?) corrode to the
point where they are paper thin. Unscrupulous people will fill and paint
these surfaces, even when they should be replaced, and replacements *ain't*
cheap. Another problem is that the very early Bonanzas have never had a
major AD on the empennage, which means that the fittings back there have
never been given a good inspection. A final problem is that older wiring
harnesses can crumble into dust when you even look at 'em funny. I saw all
these problems and more when an acquaintance bought a '47 Bonanza.

My guess is that the oldest Bonanzas became ramp queens after 20-30 years,
because newer, better equipped, more capable aircraft were plentiful on the
used market, so why spend the bucks to keep up a more or less obsolete
aircraft. Instead, sell the old bird to someone else and upgrade to a 15
year newer version... After about two annuals, the new owner can't afford
annual #3 on the old Bo, and tries to sell the airplane. Unfortunately, he
can't get his money out of it, so it sits for 1/2 a decade until someone
buys it, restores it to sellable condition, and advertises it in trade a
plane.

Not that this is the tale of *all* old Bonanzas, but I'd be very wary of an
old, cheap Bonanza.

KB

Old July 12th 04, 06:57 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:09:16 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"The Weiss Family" wrote in message
All,

I was recently perusing through some of the newer Trade-A-Plane listings,
and I saw tons of old Bonanzas.
Within the last 3 days of listings, there were probably 10 or more.

From previous threads in this newsgroup, I have read that the older Bo's

are
[...]

On ,mine the tail cone is taken off for every annual. Everything back
there gets a good look.

harnesses can crumble into dust when you even look at 'em funny. I saw all
these problems and more when an acquaintance bought a '47 Bonanza.

That is one of the biggest problems with any old airplane. The old
rubber covering on things like the throttle, mixture and prop controls
gets hard and brittle. I finally had to replace the throttle cable on
mine.

My guess is that the oldest Bonanzas became ramp queens after 20-30 years,

Nope, some of the originals are still flying.
Olive Beech's personal plane is still flying and that is an *old*
V-tail.

Do a search on the FAA database and you should find lots of them.

I'm flying the first straight tail off the line.

because newer, better equipped, more capable aircraft were plentiful on the

used market, so why spend the bucks to keep up a more or less obsolete
aircraft. Instead, sell the old bird to someone else and upgrade to a 15
year newer version... After about two annuals, the new owner can't afford
annual #3 on the old Bo, and tries to sell the airplane. Unfortunately, he

My annuals on average are a bit less than a thousand. Some times more
and some times less. Course the whole airframe which was built in 59
still has less than 4000 hours on it. It is getting time to have the
paint redone though even if it does look pretty good.

can't get his money out of it, so it sits for 1/2 a decade until someone
buys it, restores it to sellable condition, and advertises it in trade a
plane.

Not that this is the tale of *all* old Bonanzas, but I'd be very wary of an
old, cheap Bonanza.

I'd be wary of any old, cheap airplane. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

KB

Old July 12th 04, 03:17 PM
Michael

Stu Gotts wrote
airframe parts are pretty much
available. They're really not much more expensive than Piper or
Cessna

Not my experience. A friend of mine just bought an older Baron.
Elevator trim tab is a bit loose, needs a new Clevis fork. On a
Cessna or Piper, that would be a standard AN part, maybe $10-$20. On
the Baron, it's a Beech-specific part. Sure, it's available. $156.

Beech-specific parts ARE more expensive, often by an order of
magnitude. Whether they last longer or not is debatable.

Michael
Old July 12th 04, 06:52 PM
Frank Stutzman

Michael wrote:
Stu Gotts wrote
airframe parts are pretty much
available. They're really not much more expensive than Piper or
Cessna

[snip]

Beech-specific parts ARE more expensive, often by an order of
magnitude. Whether they last longer or not is debatable.

I concur with Michael. I'm not a master of what Piper prices are, but my
wallet has felt the hit of Raytheon (Beech) prices are. I personally have
shelled out $400 for a cabin door hinge, $120 for a single landing gear
bushing. And those are just my personal experiances. I think the worst
I've heard about is ~$4,000 for the sheet metal baffleing on an E-powered
plane. The real insult on that bit of slightly stamped sheet metal was
that the owner had to wait 6 months for it.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl" (A '49 A35)

Old July 12th 04, 07:03 PM
Frank Stutzman

{sorry I've lost track of the attributions}
cheap. Another problem is that the very early Bonanzas have never had a
major AD on the empennage, which means that the fittings back there have
never been given a good inspection. A final problem is that older wiring

Dunno what you mean by no major AD on the empennage. There is the AD for
inspecting ruddervator push rods. There is the the "speed restriction" AD
that calls for skin thickness testing and ruddervator rebalance. Are
these major? Depends upon your definition, I suppose.

On ,mine the tail cone is taken off for every annual. Everything back
there gets a good look.

[ I think this is Rich Hare talking about his Debonair ]
The tail cone should always be removed for annual. However, the fittings
back there are significantly different between the bonanza and the
Debonair.

Nope, some of the originals are still flying.
Olive Beech's personal plane is still flying and that is an *old*
V-tail.

Yup, saw serial number 12 last summer in Seattle. Looked pretty good.
There are still older ones still flying. I had a belly laugh a few years
ago when I saw that A35 hanging in the Spruce Goose Museum in McMinville
Or had a later serial number than mine.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl" ('49 A35, serial number D-1514)

Old July 12th 04, 07:59 PM
Rich

Hey! Hey! Hey!
Don't nobody go around saying that _I_ fly a Debonair!

I fly a gen you wine "V" tail! (My third one!)

Bonanza parts _are_ expensive... but sturdier than most other brand "P"
and "C" parts. Therein lies the Bonanza curse. Things last so long
that people successfully forego maintenance for a long while because
"it's still working pretty good"... and then it finally goes out of
serviceable tolerance and you have to buy the $109 bushing (or eight of
them in the main landing gear scissors) that you wouldn't pay 69 cents
for at Ace Hardware. Lots of older used Bonanzas are at that point in
their service life.

Rich

Old July 13th 04, 01:25 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:59:19 -0400, Rich wrote:

Hey! Hey! Hey!
Don't nobody go around saying that _I_ fly a Debonair!

No, Now... Let's not confuse such a modern design as the Deb with an
antique! :-)) I mean, you're compairing a 1947 design to a 1959
design, even if it is the same airplane with a different empenage.
They even call mine a 35-33

OTOH Frank's 49 makes my 59 look positively modern.

Old July 13th 04, 05:36 AM
Frank Stutzman

Rich wrote:
Hey! Hey! Hey!
Don't nobody go around saying that _I_ fly a Debonair!

I fly a gen you wine "V" tail! (My third one!)

Sorry, I stand corrected. Rich Hare/Roger Halstead. At least I got the
initials correct.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"