vfr on top

Old February 22nd 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default vfr on top

On Feb 21, 7:55*am, " wrote:
On Feb 21, 7:21*am, " wrote:

On Feb 20, 1:36*pm, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

What are the advantages
of *IFR to VFR-on-top then cancel over IFR to VFR then cancel?

You should know the answer to this.

You watch me closer and provide REQUIRED separation when I am VFR on
top. *You can't drop me when I am VFR on top as it's still IFR.

Correction to the above thinking this through. *Separation would be
VFR rules. *Duh, hence VFR on top. *The rest still stands.

VFR on top is an IFR clearance and ATC cannot drop me until they hear
those magic words cancel IFR. *That is the benefit of VFR on top.

That's just swell, peachy even. But the issue ain't flight following
vs. VFR-on-top, it's IFR to VFR-on-top then cancel vs. IFR to VFR then
cancel. Why request VFR-on-top to punch through a cloud deck if you
intend to cancel IFR upon reaching VFR conditions?
Old March 16th 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Mar 15, 9:06*pm, brian whatcott wrote:

ABOVE them? In G class?

Sure! Near my airport is a very large body of water. It's not
unusual to see stratiform clouds form in the morning after sunrise
with bases of 300 to 500 and only a couple hundred feet thick east of
my airport and the airport be severe clear for VFR departure.

Of course class G ends at 700 at my airport so in most cases you won't
be legal to be 1 foot above them but get a little further out where
class E starts at 1200 and it's something worthy of experiencing.

Very localized conditions but they are clouds :-)
Old March 16th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Moore

" wrote

On Mar 15, 9:06*pm, brian whatcott wrote:

ABOVE them? In G class?

Of course class G ends at 700 at my airport so in most cases you won't
be legal to be 1 foot above them but get a little further out where
class E starts at 1200 and it's something worthy of experiencing.

Both of you "Johnny come lately"s have forgotten that Class G airspace
does extend up to 14,500' in some parts of the country.
We all know about the Magenta shading...don't forget the blue shading.

Bob Moore
Old March 16th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Mar 16, 8:13*am, Bob Moore wrote:

Both of you "Johnny come lately"s have forgotten that Class G airspace
does extend up to 14,500' in some parts of the country.
We all know about the Magenta shading...don't forget the blue shading.

Gee Bob! Thanks for the reminder of what I fly!

Class G airspace above my service ceiling in my Sundowner LOL I'm not
getting far in that neck of the woods.
Old March 16th 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jon Woellhaf

For some reason, this airspace discussion reminded me of an apocryphal
conversation between an SR-71 and Center:

SR-71: Center, Blackbird 37 requests flight level 800.

Center: Blackbird 37, Center. If you can get up there, you can have it!

SR-71: Roger. Blackbird 37 descending to flight level 800.

Old March 17th 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Brian Whatcott

Bob Moore wrote:
" wrote

On Mar 15, 9:06 pm, brian whatcott wrote:

ABOVE them? In G class?

Of course class G ends at 700 at my airport so in most cases you won't
be legal to be 1 foot above them but get a little further out where
class E starts at 1200 and it's something worthy of experiencing.

Both of you "Johnny come lately"s have forgotten that Class G airspace
does extend up to 14,500' in some parts of the country.
We all know about the Magenta shading...don't forget the blue shading.

Bob Moore

I see you forgot, old timer, that separations in G change above 10000....
:-)

Brian W