Check your gas.

Old November 30th 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

Default Check your gas.

Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...lying_on_empty

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.
Ken
Old November 30th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.
Ken

I wonder how often these fuel exhaustions happen because the pilot
might have forgotten to lean his mixture or had a petcock leak and
drain away fuel, as opposed to planning a 4 hour XC with 3 + 50 of
fuel aboard?

My fuel management plan is simple, but has worked so far. I taxi out
on the least full tank (so I know it's working), do run up and so
forth on the tank I intend to use for take off (some check lists have
the PIC switch to the most full tank after run up -- I would not
switch tanks and then take off!). I burn away half the fuel in the the
take off tank, switch to the other, and it doesn't matter if my
ultimate destination is just 50 miles ahead, when I switch back to the
initial tank, thought to be half full, I will land for fuel. I don't
ever remember needing more than 45 gallons to fill both tanks in the
Mooney. and those flights include some quite long VMC cross country
flights (Long Beach CA to the east coast comes to mind),
Old November 30th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...ief_flying_on_
empty

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.

This sort of thing always comes to mind when people ask me about the
danger of flying gliders. Not having an engine is an asset, not a risk,
it's one less thing to go wrong!

Somewhat more seriously... I understand that there are various obstacles
to having reliable fuel quantity indicators in a light aircraft, but I
bet that it must be possible. How difficult and expensive would a good
one end up being, and what would it look like?

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old November 30th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Dec 1, 11:59*am, Mike Ash wrote:
In article
,
*"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...
empty

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.

This sort of thing always comes to mind when people ask me about the
danger of flying gliders. Not having an engine is an asset, not a risk,
it's one less thing to go wrong!

Somewhat more seriously... I understand that there are various obstacles
to having reliable fuel quantity indicators in a light aircraft, but I
bet that it must be possible. How difficult and expensive would a good
one end up being, and what would it look like?

a piece of dowelling!
I used a dip stick to measure the amount of fuel -every- time I went
flying.
Old November 30th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...
empty

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.

This sort of thing always comes to mind when people ask me about the
danger of flying gliders. Not having an engine is an asset, not a risk,
it's one less thing to go wrong!

Somewhat more seriously... I understand that there are various obstacles
to having reliable fuel quantity indicators in a light aircraft, but I
bet that it must be possible. How difficult and expensive would a good
one end up being, and what would it look like?

a piece of dowelling!
I used a dip stick to measure the amount of fuel -every- time I went
flying.

Didn't work for the Gimli Glider!

Old December 1st 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Nov 30, 1:53*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.
Ken

That's what happened to a Beech King Air turbo a
couple of weeks ago near me. Ran out of gas, for
as yet undetermined reasons. Shame to see such
a nice plane totalled, but at least no fatalities.

The guys at Stevens have a good reputation.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...gallon-of-fuel

---
Mark
Old December 1st 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,

*"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...
empty

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.

This sort of thing always comes to mind when people ask me about the
danger of flying gliders. Not having an engine is an asset, not a risk,
it's one less thing to go wrong!

Somewhat more seriously... I understand that there are various obstacles
to having reliable fuel quantity indicators in a light aircraft, but I
bet that it must be possible. How difficult and expensive would a good
one end up being, and what would it look like?

a piece of dowelling!
I used a dip stick to measure the amount of fuel -every- time I went
flying.

Good point there. Simple technology works well for that. However, what I
*meant* to ask about is how you could have a reliable fuel indicator
that could be read while in flight? Checking on the ground is certainly
a good idea no matter what sort of gauges you might have, but it would
be useful to be able to detect when you're using more than you think, or
just have a reminder.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old December 1st 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

On Dec 1, 2:00*pm, Mark wrote:
On Nov 30, 1:53*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.
Ken

That's what happened to a Beech King Air turbo a
couple of weeks ago near me. Ran out of gas, for
as yet undetermined reasons. Shame to see such
a nice plane totalled, but at least no fatalities.

The guys at Stevens have a good reputation.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...11110344/1004/...

I'd like to know how many fuel exhaustions were associated with a
successful emergency off-field landing. Running out of fuel should
not automatically lead to a crash/fatality if the pilot practices his
emergency procedures regularly. This does not excuse the need to have
30+ mins excess over plan of course.

Cheers
Cheers

Old December 1st 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

*"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Meticulous pilot runs out of gas and can't land in a corn field!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...travel_brief_f...
empty

Must have got his license from Canadian Tire.

This sort of thing always comes to mind when people ask me about the
danger of flying gliders. Not having an engine is an asset, not a risk,
it's one less thing to go wrong!

Somewhat more seriously... I understand that there are various obstacles
to having reliable fuel quantity indicators in a light aircraft, but I
bet that it must be possible. How difficult and expensive would a good
one end up being, and what would it look like?

I agree that removing the engine might reduce the probability of a
mechanical failure, and yet the stats say gliders have more
accidents.
Among fixed-wing powered aircraft, the rate for single-engine piston
airplanes was 9.32 accidents and 1.79 fatal accidents per 100,000
hours flown. Glider operations had 28.06 accidents and 4.95 fatal
accidents per 100,000 hours flown (2005 figures). How can this be
explained -is it the landing out that is the problem or the launch (or
something else)?

Cheers
Old December 1st 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Flaps_50!" wrote:
I'd like to know how many fuel exhaustions were associated with a
successful emergency off-field landing.

The AOPA writes a yearly report on accidents (see
http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/nall.html) that addresses questions
like that; here's the latest one:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/08nall.pdf

Go to page 14 and you should find an approximate answer - at least for the
year they examined in that report.

check this... billybeer Owning 0 December 1st 04 01:28 AM
Check it out [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 November 30th 04 09:35 PM
Check it out! [email protected] Soaring 1 November 30th 04 01:21 AM
Check this out! [email protected] Aerobatics 0 November 30th 04 12:58 AM
check this out Tony Verhulst Soaring 0 February 27th 04 04:04 PM