Choices continued; Another great moderated pilots forum

Old June 11th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Choices continued; Another great moderated pilots forum

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
So far, this has not been my experience, but time will tell.
Don't know where you got the stats on the forum moderators. I don't have
that information.
I think you have the wrong perspective on how these forums are moderated.
I've yet to see a moderator on either forum edit or delete a post based on
the moderator's judgment on who is right and who is wrong. Only obvious
bad behavior, vitriolic posts and ad hominem attacks are "moderated" by
the control board.
As far as I can determine, you can agree or disagree with anyone on these
forums with free abandon as long as you do it politely and in a friendly
manner.
Can't address the registration problem except to say that POA was hacked
yesterday and they thought they sorted it all back out last night.
All is perfectly normal on my end and I'm having no issues today at all.
Personally, I've found the experience quite satisfying so far.
You'll have to make your own assessment of course.

--
Dudley Henriques

I took a look a couple of days ago and, although I didn't take time to look
through every topic and thread, there didn't appear to be much traffic--and
the categories were not really inuitive. I'll take another look as time
permits, but there are really only a couple of really annoying people here
in the "wild west" with any staying power--plus a few who come and go at
random.

Admittedly, I haven't spent a lot of time on it and haven't checked the AOPA
forums at all--even though they would clearly aleviate the greatest single
annoyance.

Peter

Old June 11th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

F. Baum wrote:
On Jun 11, 11:51 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
So far, this has not been my experience, but time will tell.
Don't know where you got the stats on the forum moderators. I don't have
that information.

Here is what I have seen on POA. When someone posts a question there
is the same small group of the same respondents who have nothing
usefull to add but they always respond anyways. Just like MX would do.
Also, people at POA like to flaunt their qualifications as if that
really means something or lends them higher credibility. Heck, around
here I have seen student pilots give valid answers to posts. There
have been about 6 or 7 posters claiming to be adminstators and most of
their profiles said PPL. I dont think it will be worthwhile for me but
good luck.
FB

What you are saying is directly opposed to what I'm getting in my
personal email, the posts I'm seeing on these two forums, and comments
from just about everyone who has tried these forums. I've seen
absolutely nothing to substantiate what you are saying and in fact just
the opposite.

I understand from the 4 distinct and varied negatives you have listed
that you discovered on the forums as you tried them that you just might
be much happier not being involved over there. I respect that.
Best to you as always.
Old June 11th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Peter Dohm wrote:
[...]

The final analysis is simply what each individual thinks best fits their
needs.
If it's your thing, I'm sure you will be welcome over there. If not,
Usenet is always here. Personally I'm planning to be both places. I like
alternatives :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 11th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I took a look a couple of days ago and, although I didn't take time to
look through every topic and thread, there didn't appear to be much
traffic--and the categories were not really inuitive. I'll take another
look as time permits, but there are really only a couple of really
annoying people here in the "wild west" with any staying power--plus a few
who come and go at random.

Peter, I encourage you to give POA another shot. I, too, have found the
interface a bit clumsy, but I'm starting to get the hang of things.

What's great is how many old names you will recognize over there from the
"pre-Bertie" days of rec.aviation. The exodus to POA obviously started
many months ago, because nearly every "regular" you remember from here is
now over "there"!

It's almost like going home. Positive, upbeat, friendly folks, posting
about flying, with no personal attacks, no fake posts, no trolls. Ahhhhh,
it's like a breath of fresh air!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 11th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article gWX3k.204399$yE1.195906@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

[...]

What is the link? How do I get there?

Old June 11th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Lou wrote:

already been in a heated discussion (politics),
Lou

So I gather from this that they do permit OT posting?
Old June 11th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Jun 11, 4:00*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

What's great is how many old names you will recognize over there from the
"pre-Bertie" days of rec.aviation. * The exodus to POA obviously started
many months ago, because nearly every "regular" you remember from here is
now over "there"!

Jay, One word of caution. The management over there encorages a
"comend in public, correct in private" policy. There is alot of miss
information over there when you go to forums like the IFR one. Around
here people who answer posts without much expertese on a subject are
chased off (MX exepted of course). Over there I think the mediators
have created a sterile envoronment where posting to something you know
nothing about is not discouraged.

It's almost like going home. *Positive, upbeat, friendly folks, posting
about flying, with no personal attacks, no fake posts, no trolls. *Ahhhhh,
it's like a breath of fresh air!

Not like going to my home (Kidding). Good luck and if I get some time
at OSH I will come over and check out your party.

FB

Old June 11th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
What is the link? How do I get there?

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/

Pther two sites that have been mentioned a

http://www.purpleboard.net/~purplebo/forums/index.php
http://forums.aopa.org/index.php

This site lists a whole bunch of different aviation forums:

http://www.thirtythousandfeet.com/message.htm

Old June 12th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

F. Baum wrote:

Jay, One word of caution. The management over there encorages a
"comend in public, correct in private" policy. There is alot of miss
information over there when you go to forums like the IFR one. Around
here people who answer posts without much expertese on a subject are
chased off (MX exepted of course). Over there I think the mediators
have created a sterile envoronment where posting to something you know
nothing about is not discouraged.

In the interest of good information being passed on to people
contemplating a move to the forums being addressed here, I am posting
both forums rules as taken off each web site.

First Pilots of America

User's Agreement and Rules of Conduct for the Pilots of America Message
Boards

Use of and participation in the Pilots of America message board
(hereafter referred to as "the forums") is contingent upon your
acceptance of the following terms and rules. By participating in the
forums, you acknowledge your acceptance of these terms. For purposes of
this agreement, "Participant" refers to you. "the forums" refers to the
Pilots of America Message board and all content associated with
http://www.PilotsOfAmerica.com.

Pilots of America is a non-profit organization operated by pilots for
pilots.

Rules of Conduct
These forums are for discussing Aviation and Aviation Related Topics
affecting pilots in the United States of America. These guidelines are
posted as a code of conduct and if all of our participants will
subscribe to this code of conduct most of these rules will be easily
observed.

Goals of the Forums
Show respect at all times.
Help build the Community.

The success of our forums depends upon the quality posts of our
participants. To ensure our success we are posting these guidelines so
that all participants of the forums understand what is considered
unacceptable behavior in the forums, which can result in a temporary
suspension or a permanent ban.
Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post
that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum,
especially in a personal way.
Trolling is prohibited. Whenever someone is clearly, deliberately
posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the
other participants of the board, it is considered "trolling." The public
posting of reputation comments received, which are considered by PoA to
be personal and confidential, is considered ipso facto trolling.
Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion in the long run; it only
encourages personal attacks (if left unchecked).
Solicitations and Advertisements are prohibited except in designated
areas, if provided.
Private Messages received on these Forums are to be considered private
and are not to be posted publicly unless the sender of the private
message agrees.
Participant shall not post messages containing personal phone numbers or
addresses other than their own.
Bans and warnings are not to be discussed on the forums. Any inquiries
or comments or bans are to be sent in private messages or via email. A
moderator may choose to publicly inform the participants of a forum
about bans and warnings if this is in the interest of the forum.
Posting of pornography, racist or otherwise discriminating remarks,
threats to cause physical or mental harm, extreme offensive language,
material that breaks any law or otherwise totally unacceptable posts or
links to pages that contain the aforementioned material may result in an
immediate ban from the forums.
Deliberately circumventing the censor filter is prohibited.
Spamming the forums is prohibited.
Not responding to or ignoring moderator warnings can lead to suspension.
Off Topic (OT) are not prohibited, but should be posted within reason.
There are some topics that are not appropriate for the forums. All posts
are subject to these rules. Excessive OT posts will be dealt with on a
case by case basis.
All Forums have a main topic. When starting a new thread, make sure you
do so in the proper Forum.

------

and second, The Purple Board;

"Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to
edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations.
Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users
who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the
forum they are moderating."

There is absolutely nothing unusual about either forum. I've seen
exactly 0 deletion or censuring of posting on either forum by the
administrators. All they ask is that dialog be civil.

This has been my experience so far, and all of it has been good!

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 12th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , romeomike wrote:

So I gather from this that they do permit OT posting?

There is a specific area (forum) for such stuff. I believe it's called "the
spin zone"

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Random data from a Cessna Pilots Ass'n. forum, etc. Dan Luke[_2_] Piloting 5 October 3rd 07 08:19 PM
Great Forum [email protected] Piloting 7 October 13th 05 05:38 AM
Great Forum [email protected] General Aviation 0 October 12th 05 10:33 PM
Great Forum [email protected] Rotorcraft 0 October 12th 05 10:30 PM
Great Holiday Gift Idea for Pilots! Jay Honeck Aviation Marketplace 0 November 26th 03 09:44 PM