How to File a Star

Old May 4th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dennis Johnson

Default How to File a Star

Let's say I want to file a standard instrument arrival route (STAR) on my
IFR flight plan. For example, flying to Henderson Executive (KHND), south
of Las Vegas. I want to fly from Palmdale VOR (PMD) to Hector VOR (HEC) to
BASAL intersection to Daggett VOR (DAG), to Henderson (HND) airport.

Daggett VOR is on my route of flight and is also a transition point for the
Clarr Two Arrival. The computer code for the Daggett transition to the
Clarr Two arrival is DAG.CLARR2.

I've checked the AIM and both my FAA instrument flying textbooks and all I
came up with was to file the STAR by listing DAG.CLARR2 in the route of
flight area of the flight plan. Okay, that's clear enough.

But do I list DAG VOR as the last fix before listing DAG.CLARR2? For
example, I could file a route of flight like so:

PMD HEC BASAL DAG DAG.CLARR2

Or do I omit DAG as the last fix before writing DAG.CLARR2 because it's
obvious that I'm going to DAG VOR, like so:

PMD HEC BASAL DAG.CLARR2

I know a human at ATC wouldn't have a problem either way, but I'm worrying
that the computer will reject it if I do it wrong. I could take the easy
way out and not file a STAR, but I figure this is good practice and it's
always fun to learn something new.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old May 4th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kobra[_10_]

Or do I omit DAG as the last fix before writing DAG.CLARR2 because it's
obvious that I'm going to DAG VOR, like so:

PMD HEC BASAL DAG.CLARR2

If they need DAG in the route and you omit it, the computer probably won't
except the route. You'll know the answer as soon as you file with FSS using
a phone and a human. I don't use DUAT or DUATS so I can't comment if it
will tell you immediately if your route is valid or not.

GW

Old May 6th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dennis Johnson

Thanks for the answers on filing a STAR! I always enjoy learning something
new.

Thanks,
Dennis