Rechristening an aircraft?

Old November 13th 03, 03:30 PM
Louis L. Perley III

Default Rechristening an aircraft?

I own an airplane that has been unairworthy for almost 3 years now (engine
was making metal large enough to punch visble holes in the oil filter
paper). Only recently have I found the time and resources to put it back
together. Since I'm about a week away from getting everything signed off,
I've begun thinking about what I should do by way of ceremony now that it'll
be airworthy again. I thinking of something along the lines of when they
christen a boat, but I'm guessing that whacking a bottle of (do they use
wine or champagne?) against a semi-monocoque(sp?) airframe is not a smart
move. I'm not wanting to break a bottle on the prop, either for similar
reasons. I'm mainly wanting to do this as a way of thanking everyone who has
put effort into putting this aircraft back together and those who have seen
this aircraft languishing on the ramp, waiting for me to do something about
it. Am I just crazy? Is this over the top for a lowly C152? I know many on
this newsgroup fly much more capable planes, what would you do?

I'm planning on putting together a web page to walk through the process of
the restoration. It's not anywhere near complete, but the work up to this
point was to get it airworthy. Next I get to work on the interior. I'm not
anywhere near as talanted as say, Jay Honeck, but we'll see.

Louis Perley III
N46000 @ BJC
N370 @ BJC

Old November 13th 03, 03:33 PM
Ron Natalie

"Louis L. Perley III" wrote in message ...
I own an airplane that has been unairworthy for almost 3 years now (engine
was making metal large enough to punch visble holes in the oil filter
paper).

Fly the airplane, then drink the champagne.

Old November 13th 03, 03:41 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Louis L. Perley III" said:
I've begun thinking about what I should do by way of ceremony now that it'll
be airworthy again. I thinking of something along the lines of when they
christen a boat, but I'm guessing that whacking a bottle of (do they use

When they smack people over the head with bottles in movies, they use
special bottles made out of sugar. Maybe you could make one of those?

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/L...EAM/glass.html
http://www.bonus.com/beakman/news/021300/recipe.html

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I complained that finding a solution to problems with Microsoft software
Old November 13th 03, 03:50 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "Ron
Natalie" wrote:

I own an airplane that has been unairworthy for almost 3 years now
(engine
was making metal large enough to punch visble holes in the oil filter
paper).

Fly the airplane, then drink the champagne.

yes. definitely. Fly the airplane.

It's a great feeling to finally fly your plane again after
it's been done for an extended period of time.

--
Bob Noel
Old November 13th 03, 05:55 PM
Don Tuite

My understanding is that the ancient custom was to pour out a
sacrifice of wine, called a libation, to the appropriate god. For
boats, that would have been Poseidon, and one would have poured the
wine into the sea, The later business with the bottle probably came
about for the sake of news photographers and as a way for latter-day
monotheists to mock the practice without *quite* abandoning it.

For an airplane, I think the equivalent practice would be to release a
bunch of helium balloons to Aeolus, the minor deity in charge of the
four winds.

Don