Software for flight planning????

Old March 8th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Software for flight planning????

The one AOPA (AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planer power by Jeppesen) has does that, I
laned a trip from Oklahoma to California PWA - RIR via airways at a too low an
altitude (7500) and it did some weird stuff. When I set the altitude at 10500,
it did a good job.

But this one is a free down-load (as long as you are an AOPA member)
and does most of jobs OK.

Old March 8th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris G." wrote in message
reenews.net...
I attended the NW Aviation Conference and Trade Show in Puyallup, WA, on
Feb 25 and watched an EXTENSIVE demo of the Voyager software by Seattle
Avionics. In the demo, I quizzed them in such a way that they planned
my route home from 1S0-HIO-SLE twice, using separate routings and
features. I was sufficiently impressed to purchase the product with an
update subscription for special show price of about $200 (US). Normal
price would be about $250 for the same package. I purchased it because
of their willingness to show me the product thoroughly, the feature sets
offered by the software, and the price. I would not have necessarily
purchased anything this expensive had I not been able to play with it
like I had. They do offer a free trial period to use the software. I
think it was 10 days or something like that. Fully functional.

http://www.seattleavionics.com

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Seattle Avionics, other than
having the experience shown above at the NWAC&TS in Puyallup. As with
everything, YMMV.

You might be quite disappointed with the performance you get away from the
show site (I'm assuming they had a T-1 or better connection at the
convention site) as some have noted it's performance can overwhelm even the
biggest and bestest PCs along with Cable or DSL.

Old March 8th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've installed it and messed with it quite a bit on my home system and
have had no real problems. That's not to say I wouldn't buy the Jepp
Flightstar, because I would if it was less expensive or I was richer.
(neither are the case

Chris

Old March 9th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris G." wrote in message
reenews.net...
I've installed it and messed with it quite a bit on my home system and
have had no real problems. That's not to say I wouldn't buy the Jepp
Flightstar, because I would if it was less expensive or I was richer.
(neither are the case

Chris

Give this a read

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...e=source&hl=en

I have a 1.2mb DSL and an Athelon 64 3500 with 1GB of memory and Voyager
choked it to the verge of death, but I have not tried Jepp's JIFP.

Old March 9th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Try AirPlan out... it isn't a processor hog. Voyager uses .NET and
eats lots of CPU cycles. AirPlan is Win32 and only the map redraws are
processor intensive, and they are fairly quick.
http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplan (30 day trial)