Airspace Question

Old September 3rd 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Evan Salant

Default Airspace Question

I fly out of Linden (KLDJ) Airport, which is located under the floor
of Class B Airspace (Newark Airport's bravo airspace, shared with JFK
and LGA). The traffic pattern altitude at LInden is 800 feet and the
floor of the Class B airspace is also 800 feet.

My question is this: What is the airspace below the floor of this
Class B airspace ? Is it Class G ?

Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds" ? Could
you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?

The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
find this in the FARs/AIM.
Old September 3rd 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert Moore

Evan Salant wrote

My question is this: What is the airspace below the floor of this
Class B airspace ? Is it Class G ?

YES

Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds" ?

YES with 1 mile visibility

Could you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?

YES, if you can comply with Section 91.119: Minimum safe altitudes

The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
find this in the FARs/AIM.

It only goes to either 700' or 1200'. Ref: FAA ASF 92 / -002, "Airspace
Reclassification at a Glance".

Bob Moore

Old September 3rd 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Evan Salant wrote:

I fly out of Linden (KLDJ) Airport, which is located under the floor
of Class B Airspace (Newark Airport's bravo airspace, shared with JFK
and LGA). The traffic pattern altitude at LInden is 800 feet and the
floor of the Class B airspace is also 800 feet.

My question is this: What is the airspace below the floor of this
Class B airspace ? Is it Class G ?

Immediately below the Class B floor it's Class E airspace, Class E begins at
700 AGL, it's Class G below that.

Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds"?

Below 700 AGL, yes.

Could you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?

Below 700 AGL, yes.

The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
find this in the FARs/AIM.

Class E to the surface is designated by a dashed magenta line.

Old September 3rd 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Evan Salant wrote:
I fly out of Linden (KLDJ) Airport, which is located under the floor
of Class B Airspace (Newark Airport's bravo airspace, shared with JFK
and LGA). The traffic pattern altitude at LInden is 800 feet and the
floor of the Class B airspace is also 800 feet.

My question is this: What is the airspace below the floor of this
Class B airspace ? Is it Class G ?

Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds" ? Could
you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?

The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
find this in the FARs/AIM.

No, the regulations aren't murky. They state that a higher class of
airspace supercedes a lower class. If you check the sectional the
entire New York area is surrounded by Class E transition airspace.
(700-foot floor). That applies except where superceded by Class B or D
airspace. So, the airspace over KLDJ is Class G below 700 feet, agl.
There is a 100-foot layer of Class E below the Class B over the airport.
Old September 4th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Evan Salant

On Sep 3, 6:22*pm, Sam Spade wrote:
Evan Salant wrote:
[...]

Thanks this is all helpful. Bottom line seems to be class G below 700
feet. Thanks.

Airspace Question Bill Denton[_2_] Piloting 4 May 6th 08 11:08 PM
airspace question michcio Piloting 12 May 13th 07 10:50 PM
Wichita Airspace Question and overlapping airspace Owen[_4_] Piloting 1 February 14th 07 10:35 PM
Busting airspace question Dallas Piloting 76 February 10th 07 06:05 AM
Saskatchewan airspace question Paul Tomblin Piloting 0 January 9th 05 12:19 AM