airspace question

Old May 11th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
michcio

Default airspace question

In my area there is a C right next to D airspace.

After establishing radio contact with class C approach and the D
airspace being in my flight path, do I need to talk directly with
airspace D to get cleared through it, or is that all taken care of by
the approach controller?

Thanks.

Old May 11th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article . com,
michcio wrote:

In my area there is a C right next to D airspace.

After establishing radio contact with class C approach and the D
airspace being in my flight path, do I need to talk directly with
airspace D to get cleared through it, or is that all taken care of by
the approach controller?

C will tell you what to do.
Old May 12th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"michcio" wrote in message
ups.com...
In my area there is a C right next to D airspace.

After establishing radio contact with class C approach and the D
airspace being in my flight path, do I need to talk directly with
airspace D to get cleared through it, or is that all taken care of by
the approach controller?

C will generally clear you through, tell you to contact the D facility on a
specific frequency, or vector you around or over the top. -c

Old May 12th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Danny Deger wrote:

Before I entered the D while talking to the C controller, I would make
sure
I was cleared. If in doubt ask.

or see how much flexibility you might have to go around/above it; a thing
that has happened to me coming back from the Bay Tour, talking to approach,
was to hear them say as soon as I left class B: 'radar service terminated,
squawk VFR, resume own navigation' while already inside SQL class D...

ooops.

I was not talking to SQL since I was talking to approach, so all set as far
as going through the class Ds of airports along the way... the SQL guy was a
bit upset. So, from then on, I fly the return flight over/westish hwy 280
(all they ask for is that you remain west of hwy 101) which puts me well
clear of SQL airspace, just in case.

--Sylvain
Old May 12th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"michcio" wrote in message
ups.com...

In my area there is a C right next to D airspace.

After establishing radio contact with class C approach and the D
airspace being in my flight path, do I need to talk directly with
airspace D to get cleared through it, or is that all taken care of by
the approach controller?

The radar controller is required to coordinate your transition of the Class
D airspace with the control tower, you are not expected to contact the tower
yourself.

Old May 12th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hamish Reid

In article ,
Sylvain wrote:

Danny Deger wrote:

Before I entered the D while talking to the C controller, I would make
sure
I was cleared. If in doubt ask.

or see how much flexibility you might have to go around/above it; a thing
that has happened to me coming back from the Bay Tour, talking to approach,
was to hear them say as soon as I left class B: 'radar service terminated,
squawk VFR, resume own navigation' while already inside SQL class D...

ooops.

I was not talking to SQL since I was talking to approach, so all set as far
as going through the class Ds of airports along the way... the SQL guy was a
bit upset. So, from then on, I fly the return flight over/westish hwy 280
(all they ask for is that you remain west of hwy 101) which puts me well
clear of SQL airspace, just in case.

I always ask SFO tower for the frequency change when I'm about abeam the
tower on the Bay tour over 101 for precisely this reason -- and they
usually seem only too happy to get rid of me. Given how busy SQL is, you
need the time to call them... (but they often know about you anyway,
somehow).

Hamish
Old May 12th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Danny Deger wrote:

Before I entered the D while talking to the C controller, I would make
sure I was cleared. If in doubt ask.

Danny

You do not need a clearance to enter class D airspace (or class C for
that matter). Only requirement is radio contact.

Old May 13th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"kontiki" wrote in message
Danny Deger wrote:

Before I entered the D while talking to the C controller, I would make
sure I was cleared. If in doubt ask.

Danny

You do not need a clearance to enter class D airspace (or class C for
that matter). Only requirement is radio contact.

Correct, but contact with who? I assume it is with the control tower that
owns the Class D, not the controller that owns the class C next door. Like
I said, I would confirm with the class C controller before I entered the
class D.

Danny Deger

Old May 13th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Clay

You do not need a clearance to enter class D airspace (or class C for
that matter). Only requirement is radio contact.

To enter class C airspace, the controller must call back your call
sign.