some planes [55 of 56] "wlhj_clart035_wwllerawindtunnel.jpg" yEnc (2/2)

Old August 23rd 09, 08:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_3_]

Default yenc

"John Crawford" wrote in
:

Yenc is suppose to save band width. No on my computer, all it does
is
flood it with useless unreadable
garbage.

Yenc might make sense when posting songs or video
clips but when it comes to simple images I have never
seen a reason to depart from the jpeg format that
everyone can read and is comfortable with.

Old August 23rd 09, 09:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert Moore

Mitchell Holman
Yenc might make sense when posting songs or video
clips but when it comes to simple images I have never
seen a reason to depart from the jpeg format that
everyone can read and is comfortable with.

JPEG is a file compression format, Yenc is an encoding
system. Most all of the Yenc encoded files that my
free newsreader, Xnews, receives are still JPGs.

Bob Moore
Old August 24th 09, 12:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:50:40 -0400, Mitchell Holman wrote
(in article ):

"John Crawford" wrote in
:

Yenc is suppose to save band width. No on my computer, all it does
is
flood it with useless unreadable
garbage.

Yenc might make sense when posting songs or video
clips but when it comes to simple images I have never
seen a reason to depart from the jpeg format that
everyone can read and is comfortable with.

One more time:

Every single binary posted on USENET is encoded using some method or another.
If you post a .JPG, you are posting it using some encoding system, MIME, or
UUNET, or yENC or something else. You cannot just post a .JPG, USENET is a
text-only medium and binaries must be encoded so that they look like text or
they will not show up on USENET. You choose to encode using UUNET or MIME,
depending on the default setting of your NNTP client; almost all NNTP clients
decode MIME and UUNET and yENC. Some just decode MIME or UUNET. Some still
don't decode any of those formats at all and must rely on 'helper apps' to
decode binaries. (And to encode them for upload) When I first started reading
USENET, my NNTP client at the time did not decode binaries of any format; I
had to use a helper app.

The two most prominent NNTP clients which do not decode yENC are MSOE and
Thunderbird. MSOE users, in particular, insist that others not use yENC
because their client won't read it. I tell 'em to kiss my ass. If you want to
see _all_ the pics, use a client which will decode them, or get a helper app
which will do it for you. If you insist on doing neither, that is _your
choice_. You don't get to see certain pix. Like it or lump it.

Old August 24th 09, 01:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
G Paleologopoulos

"hielan' laddie" wrote
One more time:

Every single binary posted on USENET is encoded using some method or
another.

May humbly suggest to a.b.p.a readers to check out "yEnc" @ Wikipedia and
also to check out the references contained in the article.
Opinions and conclusions will be per individual.
I offer none to the group.
My ***own*** is that yEnc is much-ado-about-nothing today, and non-standard
to boot.

Old August 24th 09, 07:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:39:35 -0400, Sj wrote
(in article ):

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:52:51 +0300, "G Paleologopoulos"
wrote:

"hielan' laddie" wrote
One more time:

Every single binary posted on USENET is encoded using some method or
another.

May humbly suggest to a.b.p.a readers to check out "yEnc" @ Wikipedia and
also to check out the references contained in the article.
Opinions and conclusions will be per individual.
I offer none to the group.
My ***own*** is that yEnc is much-ado-about-nothing today, and non-standard
to boot.

Agreed ... but used by many so one either decides to
learn how to deal w/ it or ignore it ...

Exactly. If anyone doesn't like it, then simply killfile 'yenc' in the
headers and it's gone.

yelling about it is
like blowing in the wind ...

Let 'em yell. There ain't thing one they can do other than yell.

Old August 24th 09, 07:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
the Legend of LAX[_2_]

Actually, Thunderbird does do yEnc. Unfortunately, it only does files
that are properly formatted. I can usually see about half of all yEnc posts.

--
Dale G Elhardt
Cypress Ca
Old August 24th 09, 08:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:43:15 -0400, the Legend of LAX wrote
(in article ):

hielan' laddie wrote:

The two most prominent NNTP clients which do not decode yENC are MSOE and
Thunderbird.

I stand corrected. That means that it's only MSOE that has the problem.

Old August 24th 09, 11:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Raven[_2_]

"G Paleologopoulos" wrote in message
"hielan' laddie" wrote
One more time:

Every single binary posted on USENET is encoded using some method or
another.

May humbly suggest to a.b.p.a readers to check out "yEnc" @ Wikipedia and
also to check out the references contained in the article.
Opinions and conclusions will be per individual.
I offer none to the group.
My ***own*** is that yEnc is much-ado-about-nothing today, and
non-standard to boot.

Agreed. It's just another pseudo standard that few use. I hate it primarily
because it offers NOTHING any of the current encoding methods provide AND
that it has a tendency to be used for multi-part messages that invariably
are incomplete. In essence, it does nothing.

Remember (for those of you old enough) the wars over ARC, LZH, ZIP, RAR etc?
What a waste that was and we still came back to ZIP, one of the very first
standards. All the rest tried to be better but generally failed.

Old August 25th 09, 08:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Raven[_2_]

"Sj" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:12:10 +1000, "The Raven"
wrote:

[...]

I disagree w/ you on this ... both rar's & zip's work nicely for
me ...

Yes, Zip and RAR are common standards. ZIP predominantly for the MS based
systems (historically anyway). RAR tends to be non-MS specific, which I have
no problems with. Beyond these two all the other contenders for the file
compression crown have failed. Similarly, yEnc may offer some technical
benefit (no idea what) but it offers nothing practical that can't be
achieved by using default encoding methods.

As for yEnc, unless someone complains about yEnc, I don't
even notice its use, as my Agent deals w/ it seamlessly ...

Mine will now handle yEnc BUT, as 90% of the yEnc posts consist of missing
multi-part messages it's a mute point.

And I'm not into DVD's, mp3's, warez, any of the big stuff ...

Same here.

Old August 25th 09, 09:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave D

"hielan' laddie" wrote in message
[...]

I always figgured that those who insist on using yENC for pics were kinda
like those who put spoilers on the rear of their cars that won't go fast
enough to be of any value. Simply put for show, looks, and status....

DaveD