Delcom Battery

Old April 6th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Delcom Battery

Does anyone know where I can get a battery pack(either rechargeable or
the type that holds AA batteries) for a Delcom Air 960 radio? Tim @
W&W doesn't have them. Thanks.

Mike

Old April 6th 06, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I should have searched Google first. There several suppliers for the
rechargeable batteries. None appear to have the case only where you use
you own AA batteries, which is what I would prefer. Any ideas on that?

Mike

Old April 6th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For one, we are not a very disciplined group and the radio is just as
likely to be left sitting, dead, in our equipment box as not. Second,
we are at a municipal airport and there is no electric near our tie
downs. We'd have to leave the charger and radio at the FBO and things
like radios and even batteries tend to grow legs when left unattended
and unsecured. Granted, there must be a limited market for this
particular battery. We are considering getting a solar panel and
charging the battery in our equipment box and still may. I'm just
considering the options. We used to have the rechargeable packs but
they didn't seem to last very long before they wouldn't hold a charge,
likely due to improper charging. For the cost a solar panel and a
charger that can be left on and connected to the battery for an
extended period (my understanding is that the simple wall chargers that
plug into battery pack shouldn't be left connected for long periods -
is that correct?) we could buy alot of alkaline batteries that can
changed instantly when the radio dies.

MIke

Old April 6th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Batteries Plus has been recommended several times for rebuilding the
rechargeable pack. I spoke with someone this past weekend who had it
done with higher capacity cells.

Frank Whiteley

Old April 7th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
Just curious...why would you prefer to keep buying alkalines instead of
re-charging?

There are several good reasons for using alkies instead of recharging, and
it mostly comes down to your type of use.

1) It gives you the option of installing fresh batteries in the middle of the
day whereas taking a 6-hour pause to charge a pack may be impossible.

2) Rechargeable batteries self-discharge in a few weeks while alkies have a
shelf life of several years. So if your radio is a seldom-used item in your
flight bag, the alkaline-equipped radio may be good-to-go while a similar radio
with a rechargeable pack may be dead and useless.

3) You could store a spare battery pack filled with alkaline in your glider for
emergency use and only need to replace the batteries once a season.

Vaughn

FOR SALE - 15 Delcom AIR960 Radios and Accessories ContestID67 Soaring 2 April 11th 06 12:31 AM
FOR SALE - 15 Delcom AIR960 Radios and Accessories ContestID67 Home Built 2 March 6th 06 06:35 PM
Delcom Battery Mike Soaring 1 July 25th 05 05:22 PM
14 Volt Gel Cell? Joe Allbritten Soaring 32 May 11th 04 01:37 AM