Non certified engines.

Old February 1st 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Non certified engines.

Okay, I don't know diddly; I've just caught the airplane bug. So, I'm
asking...

My buddy went out and spent multi tens of thousands of dollars on an
airplane engine. Lycoming, I think it was. Seems kinda pricy, but I
understand that most of that cost is testing, no iron.

I note that there was a lot of talk in the newsgroup and some books out
on Amazon.com on using non-certified engines.

How wise is that? The FAA really allows that, huh? If I had a noose in a
tree, and called it an experimental airplane, would the FAA let me fly
it? Probably not if the nose was over a populated area, huh? Just wondering.

VW engines are mentioned, I suspect because water cooled engines would
be too heavy for small airplanes, and it would introduce additional
cooling failure modes.

I guess I'm not smart enough to even know what questions to ask. So,
please discuss engines, so I can read the thread.

Is there a FAQ for this newsgroup?

Old February 1st 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Stuart Grey" wrote in message
. ..
Okay, I don't know diddly; I've just caught the airplane bug. So, I'm
asking...

I note that there was a lot of talk in the newsgroup and some books out on
Amazon.com on using non-certified engines.

How wise is that? The FAA really allows that, huh? If I had a noose in a
tree, and called it an experimental airplane, would the FAA let me fly it?
Probably not if the nose was over a populated area, huh? Just wondering.

supposedly if you can prove its flight characteristics, and prove that the
materials used wont fail under anticipated stresses, yeah, you could fly it.

go to a big airshow and look at some of the nightmares they gave the OK to
fly. amazing. wings made mostly out of sticks 3/8x3/8? CLOTH wings?

and yes, I think that there are some restrictions on some planes, engines
and otherwise. someone can pipe up that has looked at the rules lately

VW engines are mentioned, I suspect because water cooled engines would be
too heavy for small airplanes, and it would introduce additional cooling
failure modes.

ummm curtis jenny? used a water cooled ford engine.

but there are benefits to air cooled. less parts, less weight, less failure
modes. you have to be a bit fussier with them though.

before there were certified engines for planes, what did you think they
used?

Old February 1st 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Tater Schuld wrote:
"Stuart Grey" wrote in message
. ..

Okay, I don't know diddly; I've just caught the airplane bug. So, I'm
asking...

I note that there was a lot of talk in the newsgroup and some books out on
Amazon.com on using non-certified engines.

How wise is that? The FAA really allows that, huh? If I had a noose in a
tree, and called it an experimental airplane, would the FAA let me fly it?
Probably not if the nose was over a populated area, huh? Just wondering.

supposedly if you can prove its flight characteristics, and prove that the
materials used wont fail under anticipated stresses, yeah, you could fly it.

go to a big airshow and look at some of the nightmares they gave the OK to
fly. amazing. wings made mostly out of sticks 3/8x3/8? CLOTH wings?

Cloth wing worked for the Wright Brothers. But then, there wasn't an FAA
there to stop the WBs from homebuilding. :-) I'm half worried about
building something dangerous, and half worried about building something
safe that I can't convince the govmint to let me fly. :-)

and yes, I think that there are some restrictions on some planes, engines
and otherwise. someone can pipe up that has looked at the rules lately

VW engines are mentioned, I suspect because water cooled engines would be
too heavy for small airplanes, and it would introduce additional cooling
failure modes.

ummm curtis jenny? used a water cooled ford engine.

So, I shouldn't rule out water cooled engines? Maybe I should look for a
totaled Chevy Geo in the junkyard? Maybe there is a size (horsepower)
break at which water cooled makes more sense than air cooled? I'm asking.

but there are benefits to air cooled. less parts, less weight, less failure
modes. you have to be a bit fussier with them though.

The biggest problem seems to be using an automobile crankshaft, which is
designed for pure torque, as the structural member for transmitting the
thrust force to the airplane body.

before there were certified engines for planes, what did you think they
used?

Engines that killed people more often than they should have, I suppose.
What's your opinion? Is the cost of a certified engine worth the risk?

Old February 1st 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

How wise is that? The FAA really allows that, huh? If I had a noose in a
tree, and called it an experimental airplane, would the FAA let me fly
it? Probably not if the nose was over a populated area, huh? Just
wondering.

supposedly if you can prove its flight characteristics, and prove that
the materials used wont fail under anticipated stresses, yeah, you could
fly it.

Neither the FAA, the gummint, nor we really care if you build an airplane
out of concrete and power it with a string of firecrackers. Precautions are
taken to limit exposure of innocent parties, however - so you may find
yourself with a test area restricted to the Mojave desert, 20 miles from any
known habitation.

You may, if you wish, kill yourself by attempting to fly anything you like.
Have a ball!

Rich "ZPG" S.

Old February 1st 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Stuart Grey" wrote)
I guess I'm not smart enough to even know what questions to ask. So,
please discuss engines, so I can read the thread.

Is there a FAQ for this newsgroup?

R.A.Homebuilt FAQ
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2212119C
(Same link as below ...wait for it)

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.homebuilt/browse_frm/thread/6491fb1b4663238f/644f86f84d150f9d?hl=en#644f86f84d150f9d

Engine option for ...CriCri's
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y5312119C
(Same link as below ...wait for it)

Click Engines ...Click on "Classic" engine pic ...Anything above 200 (3W
200iB2TS)

http://www.3w-modellmotoren.com/english/www_3W_Modellmotoren_com.html?../motoren/index_classic_en.html~main

Two more options for a ...CriCri:
http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/engines/zdz420B4.html
4 cylinder (2 stroke. Oil/gas)
http://www.rcshowcase.com/images/eng...z/zdz420cs.jpg
Pic of engine

http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/engines/rcs400.html
5 cylinder 400 cc FOUR STROKE Radial Gas Engine. 23hp/22 lbs.

Montblack

Old February 1st 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Montblack wrote:
("Stuart Grey" wrote)

[...]

Thank you! I've book-marked them all!

Old February 1st 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Montblack wrote:
("Stuart Grey" wrote)

[...]

You know, I think some of those urls are for toy RC engines?

:-)

Old February 1st 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Rich S." wrote)
Neither the FAA, the gummint, nor we really care if you build an airplane
out of concrete and power it with a string of firecrackers.

Test Flights in the Mojave:

Flight #1. Ladyfingers are nice but Black Cats would be better...

Flight #2. Black Cats are good but Cherry bombs would be better...

Flight #3. Cherry bombs are good but M-80's would be better...

Flight #4. M-80's are good but dynamite would be better...

Montblack
How many Black Cats to power that flying brick? Yup, a brick. g

Old February 1st 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Montblack" wrote in message
Test Flights in the Mojave:

Flight #1. Ladyfingers are nice but Black Cats would be better...

Flight #2. Black Cats are good but Cherry bombs would be better...

Flight #3. Cherry bombs are good but M-80's would be better...

Flight #4. M-80's are good but dynamite would be better...

A vivid reminder of the difference between "preignition" and "detonation".

Rich S.

Old February 1st 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Stuart Grey" wrote)
You know, I think some of those urls are for toy RC engines?

Toy?

http://www.amtjets.com/gallery_real_plain.html
CriCri jet. The 170 Kg spec given is Gross weight. Empty weight is about
65-75 Kg. The extra 100 Kg (220 lbs) is for pilot + fuel.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...gsearch=D-GHWB
7 pics at Airliners.net

http://flight.cz/cricri/english/cri-cri-articles.php
1974 and 1982 articles about the CriCri