The Cobra "Ramp Grind" - a fix

Old August 14th 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default The Cobra "Ramp Grind" - a fix

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 2:38:36 AM UTC-4, bumper wrote:
New "bumper" product announcement:

The ramp sliders on my 2002 Cobra trailer were metal on metal, bolt threads gouged the extruded aluminum floor rails and there was metal on metal wear. Some later trailers have plastic washers, but those don't last or work well either. I made plastic sliders for my trailer a decade ago. They worked well but the design was not suited for easy consumer installation and I back burnered the idea. That is, until one owner pestered me for 3 years! :c).

The SRS (smooth ramp slider) kit uses a machined one piece slider of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW PE). This material is almost as slippery as Teflon, and when it comes to abrasion resistance, is better than steel for many applications. One inch will stop a .45 ACP round (though I have yet to personally test this particular claim). Installation is easy, 20 minutes. The ramp moves as smooth as oil on glass.

The SRS kit is available now in limited quantities. I announced it last week on a glider model specific forum and had orders for 16 the first day - so I'm concerned with getting swamped (I have 20 kits available now and will make more). Price is $35 plus $4 shipping to USA, $12 shipping to other countries.

(insert my 6 letter "car part" name) @frontier.com for installation instructions, questions, and ordering info. Please include "SRS" in the title of your email.

I'll see if I can make this Google picture link work (the link is long, but when I copy and paste it into the search bar it works for me). If it doesn't work, you can ask for a picture if you email me.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S8...3=w851-h638-no

bumper

MKIV "high tech" yaw string & Quiet Vent
zz
Minden

I bought this product in Uvalde, installed it today and it works great, as advertised.

Cobra should take notice.

Sean
Old August 15th 17, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 10:08:53 AM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:

I bought this product in Uvalde, installed it today and it works great, as advertised.

Cobra should take notice.

Sean

Sean,

Thanks for the review!

I'm told that Cobra was told about the issue a few years back, and they added the plastic washers. That helped, but didn't last long or keep the bolt threads from damaging the tracks. My SRS should last longer than the trailer. There are plans to show the SRS to Spindelberger. I can supply them, or they can copy the design. For me, it's not about money.

I enjoy the challenge of inventing stuff - and I like to share - and yes, there's some pride involved. The tooling and fixtures to make things efficiently is also fun. But when it comes down to actually making things production line, it can start feeling like work if it gets too demanding. That was the reason behind my removed the MKIV yaw string and Quiet Vent from distribution (Cumulus Soaring was doing too good a job.) I still sell all my things direct.

And I'm not bored with the SRS quite yet, sold and orders pending over 120 sets in a month with no real advertising! I'm still amazed :c)

(Thanks Dave Nadler for spreading the joy at Uvalde!)

bumper

Old August 15th 17, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 1:28:09 PM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
[...]

I get a smile every time I pull the ramp out. Having a difficult day today, thinking of driving out to glider port just to hear the silence as I slide the ramp out!
Old August 16th 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 1:50:49 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

I get a smile every time I pull the ramp out. Having a difficult day today, thinking of driving out to glider port just to hear the silence as I slide the ramp out!

Thank you!

In the spirit of seldom leaving well enough alone, or fix it 'till it's broke, I've come out with SRS ver 2. All new SRS shipped are version 2.

The factory leaves the ramp slider bolts loose so the ramp jack end can hinge up and down. The original SRS was installed in similar fashion. Ver 2 adds a urethane or silicone rubber spacer "spring" - a 1/4" long 1/4" ID rubber tube, under the bolt head to take out the slop and prevent assembly from rattling down the road. Choices:

You can use your SRS as is, it'll rattle but who cares?

You can provide and add a 1/4" (6mm) ID length of rubber fuel hose as the spacer.

You can order the V2 spacers from me at no cost.

Install takes a few minutes, no need to remove ramp. It is important to follow new SRS bolt install and adjustment procedure in new instructions (see link below). SRS bolts are unscrewed with ramp in place, spacers added and bolts reinstalled.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/beyd1sh78w...t%5E.docx?dl=0

To get your free upgrade kit, send an email to: (my nickname as below, followed by the letter "m", so 7 letters) at frontier dot com

Subject line for email, "SRS V2".

If you are in another country and know of other SRS owners, please consider combining shipment (state number of kits requested in email).

Note there may be a delay in shipping and email acknowledgement - I'm going to go see the solar eclipse.

bumper