Cambridge GPS-NAV Flight Logs

Old May 5th 11, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Flight Logs

I've been looking at online manuals (I got the instruments second hand) and
I can't find a way to delete the flight logs from the GPS logger. I've
tried using See You and CAI.exe and can't find it.

Is there a way to delete old flight logs or does the unit simply overwrite
the oldest log when empty space is used.

Old May 5th 11, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

The older Cambridge recorders (10, 20, 25) do use circular recording,
writing over the oldest data with the latest data without a hitch. If
you really want to erase all of the flight data, though, simply change
something like the Pilot Name or Comp ID.

-John

Old May 5th 11, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 5, 7:56*am, jcarlyle wrote:
The older Cambridge recorders (10, 20, 25) do use circular recording,
writing over the oldest data with the latest data without a hitch. If
you really want to erase all of the flight data, though, simply change
something like the Pilot Name or Comp ID.

I'd be surprosed if that erases any data although it may make it
inaccessible by the user. Typically "erasing" just moves a "pointer"
and all the data is still remains stored in memory.

Of course, as you say, there is no reason to "erase" these loggers.
Unlike some others they never fill up and they have no issues when
looping back to the start of memory.

The only issue I know with these loggers is that they produce an
inaccurate pressure altitude record when the voltage drops below
spec. Don't transmit at 17,400 ft during a contest or you may have to
explain an airspace violation. (the recorded altitude increases as the
voltage reduces).

Andy
Old May 5th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Dan,

I can help you get connected to the GPS-NAV. Give me a call sometime.

I recommend using the Cambridge Aero Explorer program which is available
he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/cai_downloads.htm

As mentioned by someone else - there is no need to delete old flight logs,
but the unit will delete them when you change the pilot name.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old May 5th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On May 5, 10:06*am, Andy wrote:
[...]

Only issues...

Lets add they are not approved for word records. A (usually slight)
hassle of dealing with .CAI files. And they have a horrible design
feature that if you update a declaration you update all the
declarations for existing flights--oops you probably did not want to
do that. So if you had a record badge flight sitting in the logger too
bad... (that's burnt a few people). And the memory is tiny compared to
modern flight recorders. Outside of wanting one for the specific
features for use with a GPS-NAV something a few decades more modern
like a Nano logger is much more friendly and capable.

Darryl

Old May 6th 11, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks to all. I kinda thought it was a circular buffer but I found no
information. Since the concensus is that it overwrites, I just won't worry
about.

I bought the GPS logger and display since the glider I'm using has an L-Nav
and I wanted the simple connectivity. Some day, when I buy another glider,
I'll get more modern instrumentation.

Thanks for the software link, Paul. I'll check it out.