OSH '05

Old August 2nd 05, 01:28 AM
Andrew Sarangan

There is free internet access at the EAA Member Village. I was not
really planning on doing any email at OSH, but it was right there at
Aeroshell square and there was no lineups.

"Jim Burns" wrote in
:

Plan for next year.... Jay could call me or another group member on
Sunday when he gets his camping spot, and we can post the spot number
and directions for the other group members that arrive Monday,
Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Many people had suggested to get to the North 40 Info building because
it would close prior to the airshow ending, but I also heard many
people complain that the building was very crouded also and people
were simply unable or unwilling to wait.

Jim Burns

We were *really* looking forward to you three stopping by. Party was
down the road (to the west), just past the red shower building - big
banner

(and
all of us) were in the first campsite - next to the road the buses
use.

It was good seeing everyone, though more time to chit-chat would have
been nice :-)

Old August 2nd 05, 02:11 AM

Jay,

Darn it, missed you. I looked for your campsite Tuesday evening and
missed it. Then again, I still wasn't exactly touching the ground
effectively after a weekend of flying seaplanes and taking dual in a
P-51.

Glad to hear the party was continuous and went very, very well.

Warmest regards,
Rick

Old August 2nd 05, 03:40 AM
Jay Honeck

Well, Jay, I sure wish that you'd given out a cell phone number. Brothers
Ed, Dave and I walked (actually, Dave drove his electric wheelchair) over
from the other side of Aeroshell Square to come to the party.

Augh! Man, that sucks. Sorry, Bob.

I was only able to leave my cell phone on in dribs and drabs, cuz the
battery wouldn't last the week. (Although, in one of the strangest things
ever, I *did* receive a phone call from Jer/ Eberhard, while I was sitting
at Rwy 27, watching departures. Incredibly, Jer/ was sitting two chairs
down from me when he called -- it's a small world!)

We were lucky enough to have the most visible campsite ever, this year,
facing south on the inner loop road, right along the fence line. This site
(and our banner) was visible not only from the North 40, but also from the
exit road heading west from the Warbird area parking. With our banner
flying high each day, we had literally dozens (hundreds?) of people stop,
wave, beep, and/or share a beer with us.

It never dawned on me that we couldn't be found, dang it. Heck, we had
people waiting for us to get up, some mornings, just so they could say "hi"!

I wish it had worked out. I've got a slew of pictures from both the pool
party and the campsite party to post, as soon as I get caught up at the
office...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 2nd 05, 03:44 AM
Jay Honeck

Plan for next year.... Jay could call me or another group member on Sunday
when he gets his camping spot, and we can post the spot number and
directions for the other group members that arrive Monday, Tuesday, and
Wednesday.

EXCELLENT idea.

Let's see, after last year, we learned to have "Iowa City" added to our
banner, so 300 people wouldn't stop to ask "Where are you?" throughout the
show. (Luckily, Montblack reminded me to do that, so we've got *that*
covered now...)

This year, we learned that 3/8 inch plywood is too thin for parking
airplanes on, motorized scooters are dangerous when they travel in herds,
and we learned that we should post the location of our campsite on the group
during the week.

I've gotta keep notes. Only 51 weeks till OSH '06!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 2nd 05, 04:46 AM
Jim Burns

Hey Rick,
I stopped by the Avweb booth Wednesday morning to invite you to the party,
but it was "manned" by only pretty young girls, sooo... nope, my wife
wouldn't let me invite them... but I did tell Jay that you had a 235 so I
think that next year he'll drag you even kicking and screaming so you can
compare notes and features to Atlas.

Jim Burns

oups.com...

Old August 2nd 05, 07:07 AM
Morgans

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote

Well, Jay, I sure wish that you'd given out a cell phone number. Brothers
Ed, Dave and I walked (actually, Dave drove his electric wheelchair) over
from the other side of Aeroshell Square to come to the party. We had your
tail number, but the North Forty locator shed was closed. We asked around
to see if anyone knew how we might find you but no one could help.

Betcha you didn't look on the side of the garbage can next to the north
shack. I left a coded message for RAH scum, thinking the side of a garbage
can would be the first place scum looks to find a home!

Actually, they wouldn't let me put it on the building, itself. g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 01:14 PM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
This year, we learned that 3/8 inch plywood is too thin for parking
airplanes on, motorized scooters are dangerous when they travel in herds,
and we learned that we should post the location of our campsite on the group
during the week.

Hey, don't blame me!!!
I posted 1".

It was that know-it-all Weir who said that was too thick. :-))
He suckered all of us into bringing 3/8" wood.
Makes you wonder why none of us could find the BlueOnBlue 182 to check
what his airplane was sitting on?
Old August 2nd 05, 01:43 PM
Bob Chilcoat

No, I never even thought that some secret message might have been left.
Actually, since we were leaving later that evening, we wouldn't have been
able to stay very long, or drink much beer. However, it would have been
nice (best adjective?) to have met some of you folks face to face. ...And
not have have had to cook, which was the main reason we wanted to find the
party. The Chilcoat boys have never been shy about eating someone else's
grub (see photo at http://www.geocities.net/viewptmd/3BrotherswP40.jpg ;-)

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote

Old August 2nd 05, 01:55 PM
Jay Honeck

This year, we learned that 3/8 inch plywood is too thin for parking
airplanes on, motorized scooters are dangerous when they travel in herds,
and we learned that we should post the location of our campsite on the
group during the week.

Hey, don't blame me!!!
I posted 1".

It was that know-it-all Weir who said that was too thick. :-))
He suckered all of us into bringing 3/8" wood.

Actually, I forgot to bring ANY wood. Montblack kindly brought some 3/4"
plywood for me, which I had NO room to pack at the end... They worked
great!

It was Jack Allison that discovered (when we pulled his plane onto the pads,
and heard loud cracking sounds) that 3/8" was too thin...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA