Air France Flt 358 vs. thunderstorms

Old August 3rd 05, 04:33 PM

Default Air France Flt 358 vs. thunderstorms

I've read several reports online re the Air France crash at Toronto
that there were thunderstorms in the vicinity (one account said "right
over the airport") If so I'm curious why the captain didn't divert or
hold away from the storm until it passed (fuel status?). If there was a
storm nearby that could have caused massive wind shear and been the
reason for the jet going off the runway(?) It'll probably take
Transport Canada a while to investigate, but I wonder what consequences
this may have for the crew.

Old August 3rd 05, 04:55 PM
Guy Elden Jr

He reportedly aborted one landing attempt due to winds, then went
around for another try.

Old August 3rd 05, 06:13 PM
Ray

If so I'm curious why the captain didn't divert or
hold away from the storm until it passed (fuel status?). If there was a
storm nearby that could have caused massive wind shear and been the
reason for the jet going off the runway(?) It'll probably take
Transport Canada a while to investigate, but I wonder what consequences
this may have for the crew.

I think it's pretty unlikely that the crew will be sanctioned for
deciding to attempt a landing. If you listen to the liveATC feed of the
Toronto approach control -

http://www.liveatc.net/.archive/cyyz...02-05-1530.mp3
(start at the 23 minute mark)

you'll see that the weather appeared to be letting up. At one point the
controller tells another pilot that people have been landing at Toronto
"for the last hour or so," and also there are aircraft cleared for the
ILS approach directly before and after the Air France flight. To me it
sounds like by the time the accident occured an almost normal flow of
traffic into the airport had resumed.

- Ray
Old August 3rd 05, 07:36 PM
Tim Epstein

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've read several reports online re the Air France crash at Toronto
that there were thunderstorms in the vicinity (one account said "right
over the airport") If so I'm curious why the captain didn't divert or
hold away from the storm until it passed (fuel status?). If there was a
storm nearby that could have caused massive wind shear and been the
reason for the jet going off the runway(?) It'll probably take
Transport Canada a while to investigate, but I wonder what consequences
this may have for the crew.

According to the BBC, the President of Air France stated in a press
statement that "Flight 358 was the last aircraft to land before the airport
was closed due to poor weather conditions".

This is a false statement. I have heard the recording the of the Toronto ATC
at the time, and there were no plans to close the airport before the crash
of AF 358. In fact, two aircraft had been cleared to land behind AF 358, and
their clearance was cancelled due to the crash of AF358.

Old August 3rd 05, 07:41 PM
Peter R.

Tim Epstein wrote:

According to the BBC, the President of Air France stated in a press
statement that "Flight 358 was the last aircraft to land before the airport
was closed due to poor weather conditions".

The Airbus was the last aircraft to land before the airport was closed due
to rescue operations on and near the runway.

--
Peter

Old August 3rd 05, 08:22 PM
Tim Epstein

ye
"Peter R." wrote in message
Tim Epstein wrote:

According to the BBC, the President of Air France stated in a press
statement that "Flight 358 was the last aircraft to land before the
airport
was closed due to poor weather conditions".

The Airbus was the last aircraft to land before the airport was closed due
to rescue operations on and near the runway.

Yep, but that's not what the Air France cheif said. His implication was that
this accident was really bad luck, and that the airport was about to be
closed anyway, and that the accident flight just happend to be the last
flight in before the airport was closed.

Old August 3rd 05, 08:33 PM
Peter R.

Tim Epstein wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message
Tim Epstein wrote:

According to the BBC, the President of Air France stated in a press
statement that "Flight 358 was the last aircraft to land before the
airport
was closed due to poor weather conditions".

The Airbus was the last aircraft to land before the airport was closed due
to rescue operations on and near the runway.

Yep, but that's not what the Air France cheif said. His implication was that
this accident was really bad luck, and that the airport was about to be
closed anyway, and that the accident flight just happend to be the last
flight in before the airport was closed.

Sorry, I was attempting to make a joke.

--
Peter

Old August 3rd 05, 08:39 PM
Tim Epstein

sorry Peter - one of my humor magnetos failed...

"Peter R." wrote in message
Tim Epstein wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message
Tim Epstein wrote:

According to the BBC, the President of Air France stated in a press
statement that "Flight 358 was the last aircraft to land before the
airport
was closed due to poor weather conditions".

The Airbus was the last aircraft to land before the airport was closed
due
to rescue operations on and near the runway.

Yep, but that's not what the Air France cheif said. His implication was
that
this accident was really bad luck, and that the airport was about to be
closed anyway, and that the accident flight just happend to be the last
flight in before the airport was closed.

Sorry, I was attempting to make a joke.

--
Peter

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old August 3rd 05, 11:01 PM
Matt Whiting

Tim Epstein wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Well, if you consider the smoke from the fire as weather... :-)

Matt
Old August 3rd 05, 11:40 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Tim Epstein" said:
sorry Peter - one of my humor magnetos failed...

I hope you declared an urgent condition...

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
....the default behaviour should be *not* to **** up.

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 06:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM