Paint system

Old November 30th 03, 03:48 PM
Sam Fly

Default Paint system

I am in the process of rebuilding a PA25-235, Pawnee. We are ready to
begain spraying the fabric and metal. We have been looking at an HVLP
spraying system. I would like opinions of an HVLP system for this
purpose. What is the best system. Thanks in advance for your help. Sam
Fly, Texas Soaring Association.

Old November 30th 03, 08:03 PM
B25flyer

I would like opinions of an HVLP system for this
purpose. What is the best system.

I have a $50.00 one from Harbour Freight that works great. Taking a break right
now from spraying ribs and other parts on my Champ project. Have used less than
a quart so far and it looks like it will finish out the remaining 6 ribs for a
total of 15 ribs, 8 small to medium parts and two pieces of the leading edge.

But I will add that I intend to get one of the self contained units for the
finish coat.

Walt
Best darn Champ rib cleaner and painter....for today. grin
Old December 1st 03, 01:12 AM
plumb bob

Don't cheap out on an HVLP gun. The cheap ones such as from Harbor Freight
are not for finish coats - good for priming, that's all. Try Sharpe,
Devilbiss, Binks, SATA... talk to auto body guys... also, try the forums at
www.autobodystore.com

Old December 1st 03, 02:24 AM
Rich S.

"plumb bob" wrote in message
Don't cheap out on an HVLP gun. The cheap ones such as from Harbor Freight
are not for finish coats - good for priming, that's all. Try Sharpe,
Devilbiss, Binks, SATA... talk to auto body guys... also, try the forums

at
www.autobodystore.com

Do not equate price with quality. The HF gun is perfectly adequate for
finish coats. My Devilbiss was long ago hauled away in the trash after using
the HF gun.

Rich S.

Old December 1st 03, 03:27 AM
plumb bob

"Rich S." wrote in message
"plumb bob" wrote in message
Don't cheap out on an HVLP gun. The cheap ones such as from Harbor

Freight
are not for finish coats - good for priming, that's all. Try Sharpe,
Devilbiss, Binks, SATA... talk to auto body guys... also, try the forums

at
www.autobodystore.com

Do not equate price with quality. The HF gun is perfectly adequate for
finish coats. My Devilbiss was long ago hauled away in the trash after

using
the HF gun.

An average gun in the hands of a skilled operator can yield some good
results. For the regular schmo, like me, I have had better luck with the
higher quality guns. YMMV...

Bob (straight up)

Old December 1st 03, 05:07 PM
Sam Fly

I am looking at an Axis AXS SP2004, 4 stage HVLP spray system from
Fastech. Spray Gun Depot has it listed at $1033 Depot price $ 799.
This is the system the Poly Fiber folks recommend, which is the dope and
paint we are using. Any commenets pro/con is appreciated.

Old December 1st 03, 07:28 PM
O-ring Seals

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:48:30 GMT, Sam Fly wrote:

I am in the process of rebuilding a PA25-235, Pawnee. We are ready to
begain spraying the fabric and metal. We have been looking at an HVLP
spraying system. I would like opinions of an HVLP system for this
purpose. What is the best system. Thanks in advance for your help. Sam
Fly, Texas Soaring Association.

Sam,

After years of using various guns (from DeVilbiss and Binks to the
cheapie knock-offs) I finally purchased a Sharpe HVLP pressure system.
It has a 2 liter pot with 6 ft, hoses and also a 1 qt, pressure cup
with regulator. The best equipment I have used. The complete system
was about $525 from Levine Auto Supply. The best price I could find
on line. Shipping was free also.

Good luck,

O-ring Seals
Old December 1st 03, 07:58 PM
Wallace Berry

In article ,
Sam Fly wrote:

I am in the process of rebuilding a PA25-235, Pawnee. We are ready to
begain spraying the fabric and metal. We have been looking at an HVLP
spraying system. I would like opinions of an HVLP system for this
purpose. What is the best system. Thanks in advance for your help. Sam
Fly, Texas Soaring Association.

Hi Sam,

Glen Lawler used to build Glassairs and refinish fiberglass gliders here
in Auburn. He used a self contained twin turbine HVLP system and got
excellent results. I actually borrowed it and spray painted a barn.
Worked well for that too. It is a Turbinaire brand
(http://www.turbinaire.com/. I'm going to borrow it again to paint my
Stits homebuilt ).

Wallace Berry
Southern Eagles Soaring
Old December 2nd 03, 12:47 AM
Sam Fly

Wallace, thanks for the info. We plan to finish the Pawnee and then
refinish the wings on one of TSA's Grob's. I want a unit that will
handle polyurethane and Gel coat. I have looked at an Axis CITBUD-4
which is a four stage turbin with 2 man breathing mask. It list's for
$1799 and I can get it for $1299....I want quality a finish for our
project. The tow plane will last another 30 years with the proper
workmanship.

Sam Fly

hi vis Paint Ben Haas Home Built 0 November 8th 03 02:58 PM
FA: halon fire ext system for homebuilts N329DF Home Built 0 August 16th 03 03:12 PM
rivet and dimple paint prep Dick Home Built 2 August 12th 03 08:31 AM
Velocity Paint scheme Ezaviator Home Built 0 July 31st 03 04:09 AM
2nd update on Review of Plasma II Ignition System MikeremlaP Home Built 8 July 22nd 03 01:37 AM