Will it fit in a 172?

Old May 1st 05, 04:03 AM
Jay Beckman

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Jay Beckman wrote:
"Slick" wrote in message

If I took the tires off of a 10-speed bicycle would it fit into the beck
seat of a 172?

Can't recall if it was Plane & Pilot or Private Pilot but,

I saw a blurb (with photo) about a bike rack for C172s that mouned ABOVE
the cockpit just like on a car with straps that tied it down to the door
frames.

They claimed it had a minimal effect on W&B.

This is really funny. Go back and check the date on the issue. I was
wondering if anyone would miss the point on that.

Matt

Matt,

Hehe, it just might have been the April issue...

But, it struck me as legitimate because it was in the front of the mag where
they highlight new equipment, avionics, training dvds, etc. and was not a
stand-alone article.

I found passing references to it in a couple of the rec.bicycle.* grouips
via Google too.

But, it might have been an April Fool's gag too.

Jay B

Old May 1st 05, 04:07 AM
Morgans

"Jay Beckman" wrote

Can't recall if it was Plane & Pilot or Private Pilot but,

I saw a blurb (with photo) about a bike rack for C172s that mouned ABOVE

the
cockpit just like on a car with straps that tied it down to the door

frames.

They claimed it had a minimal effect on W&B.

Since it is on the outside of the plane, it would take a STC, or field
approval, or something, wouldn't it?
--
Jim in NC

Old May 1st 05, 04:34 AM
Jase Vanover

Look at some of the other "new equipment" profiled on the same page... I'm
pretty sure it is an AFJ ;-)

Not that it couldn't be done I suppose, but think of the drag!

Old May 1st 05, 06:10 AM
Slick

If you take the tires off you can stack them in the luggage I think, or
buckle them into the passenger seat.
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:12:58 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

"Slick" wrote in message

If I took the tires off of a 10-speed bicycle would it fit into the

beck
seat of a 172?

Oh... absolutely! But what the hell good would it be at the
destination without tires???

Old May 1st 05, 12:12 PM
H.P.

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Depends ENTIRELY on the construction of the bicycle. Now if you took the
back seat OUT ...

Then his CG moves forward and he's nose-heavy and outside the limits
envelope.

Old May 1st 05, 05:52 PM
Peter Duniho

"H.P." wrote in message
Then his CG moves forward and he's nose-heavy and outside the limits
envelope.

Granted, it depends on a few unknown factors. But I think it's unlikely
that the average bicycle replacing the rear seats in the average 172 would
result in the CG being too far forward.

With a 172 that already has a somewhat-forward CG and an especially light
bike, certainly the possibility exists. But it's a pretty remote
possibility, IMHO.

Pete

Old May 1st 05, 09:35 PM
john smith

nrp wrote:
We took two 10 speed bikes to Bryce Canyon in a 172H. We had to take
the back seat out, and removed both front and back wheels to make it
all fit.

Surely the idea of a rack on top of a Cessna is a joke??????? Think of
the consequences if something came loose, much less the change in
handling characteristics.................

You have never seen what some of the folks from Alaska have strapped to
airplanes, have you?
Old May 1st 05, 10:25 PM
William W. Plummer

john smith wrote:

nrp wrote:

We took two 10 speed bikes to Bryce Canyon in a 172H. We had to take
the back seat out, and removed both front and back wheels to make it
all fit.

Surely the idea of a rack on top of a Cessna is a joke??????? Think of
the consequences if something came loose, much less the change in
handling characteristics.................

You have never seen what some of the folks from Alaska have strapped to
airplanes, have you?

Something like a moose?
Old May 2nd 05, 12:16 AM
W P Dixon

Come Now, get the STC for the Class 2 trailer hitch and just put them on a
trailer with a bike rack. At least then you can take the trailer off the
plane easier when not using it!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old May 2nd 05, 04:14 PM
Scott Migaldi

Wasn't that in the April 1 issue???

think about it a little more and then look at the add for the dog that
can tow your airplane.

What was it P.T. Barnum said????

Charles O'Rourke wrote:
Can't recall if it was Plane & Pilot or Private Pilot but,

I saw a blurb (with photo) about a bike rack for C172s that mouned

ABOVE the

cockpit just like on a car with straps that tied it down to the door

frames.

They claimed it had a minimal effect on W&B.

I remember seeing that in Private Pilot too. I wonder what kind of
cruise speed loss it causes?

It also seems like it'd be pretty difficult to get a bicycle on top of
a C172, let alone attached securely (and you'd sure want it to be
secure!).

Charles.
-N8385U