Best foggles or hood w/ Headset and Glasses

Old April 26th 04, 04:54 AM
Jeff Saylor

Default Best foggles or hood w/ Headset and Glasses

If you are a pilot who uses both a headset and eyeglasses, what IFR
trainng device works and fits best for you? The generic foggles, like
Sporty's sells? The Jeppesen JeppShades Flip-Up hood? A particular
model of hood?

Old April 26th 04, 05:02 AM
John Yossarian

I just got a hoodlamb, it's pretty good so far. I've only worn it
for a couple hours though.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/1482

Old April 26th 04, 05:11 AM
Stan Gosnell

Jeff Saylor wrote in :

If you are a pilot who uses both a headset and eyeglasses, what IFR
trainng device works and fits best for you? The generic foggles, like
Sporty's sells? The Jeppesen JeppShades Flip-Up hood? A particular
model of hood?

I use a flip-up device that clips on my glasses, I can't remember where I
got it or the brand. It's lightweight plastic, black, wraparound. They
look like Overcasters, now that I've looked at some pictures on a few
sites.

I've thought about the flip-up foggles that clip on glasses, but what I
have works, and is very, very light, which is important. You don't want a
lot of weight hanging in front of your glasses for hours, and they're very
easy to flip up and down for transitioning to and from instruments.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old April 26th 04, 07:47 AM
Brenor Brophy

I tried foggles, but decided they let in too much peripheral vision. I also
tried something called a "Francis IFR hood" that a CFII had during a stage
check. It was bad because it pressed my glasses into the bridge of my nose
and gave me a headache. In the end I settled on a tradition hood and it
worked just fine for all my IFR training.

Old April 26th 04, 08:14 AM
Donald Ramsey

Foggles did ok for me after I applied a liberal amount of Scotch(tm) tape
to block out the areas I wasn't supposed to see. To me, foggles do a nice
job of transmitting a bit of shadow as one might get in light IMC without
totally giving away which way is up. However, they do have way too much
clear vision area. You'll need to tape over the areas you feel are allowing
you to "cheat".

--Don

Old April 26th 04, 08:42 AM
Thomas Borchert

Jeff,

ASA's clip-on for glasses.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 26th 04, 10:56 AM
Matt Whiting

Jeff Saylor wrote:
If you are a pilot who uses both a headset and eyeglasses, what IFR
trainng device works and fits best for you? The generic foggles, like
Sporty's sells? The Jeppesen JeppShades Flip-Up hood? A particular
model of hood?

I used the ones that clip onto your glasses and can be flipped up and
down. They aren't a hood, just glasses clip-ons that have part of the
"lens" frosted. The only downside is they don't completely block your
peripheral vision and once the clear part of the lens gets scratched,
they can be hard to see through. However, mine didn't get bad until
after several years of use.

Matt

Old April 26th 04, 12:04 PM
Dan Truesdell

I used the hoodlamb extensively during my training and loved them.
Unfortunately, they attach to your headset, and may not fit onto some of
the newer ANR units.

Jeff Saylor wrote:
If you are a pilot who uses both a headset and eyeglasses, what IFR
trainng device works and fits best for you? The generic foggles, like
Sporty's sells? The Jeppesen JeppShades Flip-Up hood? A particular
model of hood?

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old April 26th 04, 02:20 PM
Rod Madsen

I bought a Hoodlamb with high expectations. A friend of mine has it and
loves it. However, it would not stay on my David Clark H10-13.4 headset.
Just be sure.

Rod

Old April 26th 04, 02:54 PM
Captain Wubba

This may sound silly, but I take a $0.99 pair of clear protective
goggles (from Sears or Home Depot, or wherever), then put duct tape
over the top half of the lenses, and along the sides. I got tired of
losing $20 foggles.

I wear glasses and a headset, and these protective goggles are usually
quite flexible and comfortable, and work as well as any foggles or
view-limiting devices I have used. I can see the panel fine, but
nothing over the top, unless I actually try to cheat (which I could do
with most other goggles.I used these on a checkride, and the DE had no
problem with them. These typially fold up quite well and fit fine in
my flight bag, and if I lose them, it hurts a lot less than losing a
$20 pair.

Cheers,

Cap