Little friend takes big brother home.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 29th 03, 08:21 PM
ArtKramr

Default Little friend takes big brother home.

The recent thread on "most beautiful things" has brought back many memories. We
were flying a maximum effort (56 Marauders) heading East into Germany We were
in the number two slot in the high flight flying deputy lead. Way in the
distance I saw a tiny spot coming toward us As it came closer I saw it was a
single B-17. When it came even closer I saw that it had one engine shut down
and the prop feathered. Another engine smoking but operational. And above and
to one side of the B-17 was a lone P-51 flying top cover taking the wounded
B-17 home. I got a bit choked up and wanted to applaud but knew no one would
hear me. As the B-17 passed us I examined it as best I could. I saw no gunners
in the waist window or anywhere else. Had they bailed out? Were they dead or
wounded? Had the pilot bailed the whole crew out and was taking the B-17 home
alone? When we got back to base I went to the A-2 guys and asked about that
B-17. But as usual A-2 officers only ask questions they never answer them. I've
thought of that B-17 and that P-51 every now and again over rhe past 60 years
and wonder if they ever made it home. I guess I'll never know, but that first
sight if the lone B-17 and that lone P-51 covering is a sight I never will
forget. I still get choked up thinking about it.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Home aerial for an ICOM AC-A5? jls Home Built 14 December 14th 04 08:19 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 9th 04 05:37 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Home Built 0 November 9th 04 05:37 PM
Big Brother Wants to Know if You Have a Misdemeanor Record Before You Fly jls Home Built 1 August 11th 04 04:36 PM
Home Inspection Listings Patrick Glenn Home Built 4 April 26th 04 11:52 AM