Its About Time I Finally Got Me A Birdie

Old March 15th 04, 12:12 AM
Ben Jackson

In article 6,
Carl Ellis wrote:

I thought it might be APEX. I bought my Taylorcraft from a fellow who has
a hangar there. 2.5 years ago the sub base (Bangor) had effectively
confiscated part of their strip by extending a no-fly zone into the first
500' or so of the runway.

That "T"FR is smaller now. They replaced the circle-with-APEX-cutout
(I never saw a version that didn't leave about a mile and a half around
the airport) with a rectangular region that doesn't close it in on 3
sides. I noticed it last time I was copy those TFRs onto my charts.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old March 15th 04, 01:54 AM

Know the feeling !!!,

MAN, WHAT a feeling! ...

Walking on the ramp towards my (well.. OUR) airplane...

..No jockying for a "rental slot" and cleaning up after the
last renter, wondering what/who was doing what.. (nice new flat spot
on the other 172's tire I noticed) ...

A beaut day here, so one of my "partners" said "lets go
flying" ..........and our plane was WAITING FOR US... (not the other
way around)

We have done a lot of work on it (all appearance items). it
sailed through it's annual/100 hr check needing 3 cowl fasteners
(that we suspected) ..

It looked like crap, but it appears that it got whatever it
needed, when needed maintenance - wise...

We put it back in the hanger, washed it underneath, touched
up some paint chips and turned out the lights...

Felt really, really good...

Dave

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:43:14
-0800, "MRQB" wrote:

Yep thats right first time flying my airplane man that sounds werid,

You forgot...

First time flying YOUR airplane!

Old March 15th 04, 02:19 PM
Bill Denton

Couple of points:

The form had nothing to do with the bank. I guess you missed it, but 10 or
15 years ago regulations went into effect that required anyone withdrawing
$10,000 or more from a financial institution had to fill out a form and the
feds had to be notified of the transaction. The idea was to cut down on the
drug trafficking and money laundering. Of course, your average coke dealer
simply withdrew $9,995, went outside for a smoke, then came back in and got
the other $5.00. So much for that idea!

As far as asking for the money a day in advance goes, that's just common
sense. Banks get robbed. The more money in the bank, the more money that
guts stolen. So banks try to limit their funds on hand to what they think
they will actually need in a day. Try walking into your nearest Krispy Kreme
and getting 10,000 donuts right now. It ain't going to happen! Krispy Kreme
only makes the donuts the feel they will sell in a certain period of time.
But if you call and order them, they'll be happy to whip out 10,000 for you.

And for whoever might be of an argumentive bent, I already know how much
interest a zillion dollars earns in a nanosecond, but the "robbery" example
is also correct, so let it go.

"MRQB" wrote in message
They had me fill out a form for the government! Told me that next time to
call a day in advance so they could order the funds. They almost refused

give me over 10k at once told them it was my money and i want it now!!!!!!

said I dont care that I need to fill out a form to get my money so give me
my money or give me every thing in my account and close it they gave me

the
amount i asked for was more then 16k that i was asking for.

I hate banks for that reason.

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
What did the bank say when you told them you wanted to withdraw 16k in

cash?

"MRQB" wrote in message

Hello, all well I have been lurking and posting trying to find me a

low
cost
time builder well I almost have up the hunt, I went to bed early

Thursday
night woke up about 4am logged on to eBay and to my surprise a local

area
person posted a nice little low time 1976 150 called the guy at 5am

woke
him
up, he called back about 8 am I spoke with him settled on a over the

phone
price, price dependant upon inspection.

A friend and I drove for about 4 hours to go look at this bird. We got

there
before the seller and started poking around a old guy smoking a cigar

came
out and asked you interested in that airplane, said maybe can you tell

me a
bit about it. Said yea I can I just got done doing a major a major

annual to
it. Talked with him got all his info and he went away. The seller

showed
up
about 5 min later had all the logs back to new, I asked him if we

could
pull
it over to the mechanics hanger so I could inspect the airplane. Now

is
ware
it starts to get interesting!

He hands me the keys and says' s taxi it over and ill get you guys

some
screw drivers well had a problem starting starter clutch went bad?

Seller
acted like he did not know about it but since it was going over to the

shop
he had a A & P put a new one in and put an entry in the logs, Now with

all
inspection plates removed and new starter clutch the 4 hours pre buy
inspection is under way. Only 3 squawks were found but not an

airworthiness
issue's.

We put the plane back together and go review the log books well he

said
that
it was IFR certified well it was clearly not but it was in 1987. There

was
no damage history neither was there any missing logs and all AD's have

been
complied with. Went to the seller told him that it was not IFR

certified
and
started the negations. We settled on a cash price that was more than

Fair to
me tell you the truth I'd have paid $5k to $7k more if I had more

money.

I went there with cash in hand for price we agreed upon over the

phone.
The
plane had 3 squawks and was not IFR certified as I was told It dose

have
full IFR panel. I offered him a lower amount than we agreed on the

phone
due
to the discrepancies The seller declined after I started to walk back

the
truck to go home. The seller made a counter offer $50.00 more than my

offer
my friend looks at me said take it worth way more then he is asking.

So
went inside sat down at the table got all the paperwork done and

counted
out
$16k in cash we both signed a sales agreement he signed the bill of

sale
we
shook hands and now I own me a late model 150.

Times
4030 Airframe
700 SMOH Engine Compressions 74,75,77,75
100 ON New Prop

All around condition a strong 7.5 may an low 8

Fresh Annual Done Right!! Nothing Deferred, Airplane Has New tires,

break
rotors, wheel Barings, fuel line, fuel strainer valves, fuel gages,

steering
rods and boots, starter clutch, and a lot more, yes it dose help to

get
another set of eyes on the airplane as we found 3 non airworthyness

squawks
little things that dont really need to be done buy are getting done

monday.
I know i am happy I kinda feel guilty at the price i go it for.

Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The
Excellent Advice.

Old March 16th 04, 12:47 PM
MRQB

Who cares about Krispy Kream we just got the largest HOOTERS in the USA here
ware there is a strip joint on every corner.

Old March 16th 04, 07:14 PM
TTA Cherokee Driver

MRQB wrote:

Hello, all well I have been lurking and posting trying to find me a low cost
time builder well I almost have up the hunt, I went to bed early Thursday
night woke up about 4am logged on to eBay and to my surprise a local area
person posted a nice little low time 1976 150 called the guy at 5am woke him
up, he called back about 8 am I spoke with him settled on a over the phone
price, price dependant upon inspection.

Thanks To All The Groups Here For Putting Up With Me And For All The
Excellent Advice.

As one of the posters who gave you grief for your attitude in this, let
me say congratulations and many happy hours. Glad it finally worked out
for you.

Old March 16th 04, 11:05 PM
Jon Kraus

I have purchased several houses with cash that were way over 10K and
have never had to fill out anything....

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL
Student-IA

"MRQB" wrote in message

They had me fill out a form for the government! Told me that next time to
call a day in advance so they could order the funds. They almost refused

give me over 10k at once told them it was my money and i want it now!!!!!!

said I dont care that I need to fill out a form to get my money so give me
my money or give me every thing in my account and close it they gave me

the

amount i asked for was more then 16k that i was asking for.

I hate banks for that reason.

.com...

Old March 17th 04, 02:11 PM
Bill Denton

How long ago?

Did you withdraw the money from a financial institution or was it in a safe
or something similar?

Old March 17th 04, 02:20 PM
Tom Sixkiller

Bill Denton wrote:

Couple of points:

The form had nothing to do with the bank. I guess you missed it, but 10 or
15 years ago regulations went into effect that required anyone withdrawing
$10,000 or more from a financial institution had to fill out a form and

the
feds had to be notified of the transaction. The idea was to cut down on

the
drug trafficking and money laundering. Of course, your average coke dealer
simply withdrew $9,995, went outside for a smoke, then came back in and

got
the other $5.00. So much for that idea!

Now they track anyone making more that $xxxx worth of withdrawals/deposits
over a certain time period.

It's had a really significant impact, hasn't it.

Old March 17th 04, 03:04 PM
Bill Denton

Well, we're damn sure keeping those folks who run flea markets and other
small cash businesses under control!