Flying into Canada

Old March 16th 04, 04:54 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Dan Thompson wrote:

2. Going to Canada is basically being on a DVFR or IFR flight plan, with ATC
squawk, and a toll-free phone call when you arrive.

I think it's just VFR, not DVFR. When I did it VFR, the discrete squawk
was kind of a joke. I had one code for my 200 mile in-US segment, then
ATC said "squawk VFR, you can try Vancouver Terminal on xxx.yy" and that
was it.

5. The U.S. Customs guys are usually kind of cranky and scary.

Our US agent was cheerful and pleasant. The two Canadian agents drove
30 minutes from a road checkpoint and were determined to make it
worth their time.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old March 17th 04, 01:02 AM
Dan Thomas

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message ...
I expect this question has been asked many times here....but here goes.

Exactly what, if anything, do I need if I want to fly into Canada?
Does the answer change if I want to land in Canada or if I am just
flying through their airspace? I expect to be on an IFR flight plan, so
I will already have a squawk code...if that helps.

Don't be carrying any handguns if you land in Canada. The
government here takes a dim view of such things.
Mostly, landing in Canada is much less hassle than landing in the
US. I suppose that if we had a version of 9-11 happen here, things
would be vastly different.

Dan
Old March 17th 04, 03:34 AM
Michelle P

O. Sami,

The sticker does not have to be on the outside of the aircraft. It needs
to be near a main door of entry. I have mine on the inside of the cargo
door (all three of them 2002-4).
Second I believe the issue now is getting the sticker in advance. I was
told that the local customs guys do not sell them anymore. Getting them
is easy and you can get it by the weekend but it is going to cost you.
For more info you can go to http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/ at
the bottom there is a link labeled Guide for Private Flyers.
For your sticker:
http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/trave..._fee_decal.xml
Have fun Flying in Southern Canada is pretty much like flying the
northern US. Only big difference is you must file a flight and have it
active while enroute. It will cost you about $15 CDN for their services
per quarter.
Michelle

wrote:

On 15-Mar-2004, "O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

Exactly what, if anything, do I need if I want to fly into Canada?
Does the answer change if I want to land in Canada or if I am just
flying through their airspace? I expect to be on an IFR flight plan, so
I will already have a squawk code...if that helps.

First of all, the simple stuff. Discrete transponder codes are required for
cross-border VFR flights, but, as you correctly surmise, if you are IFR that
is not an issue. If you are just flying over Canadian airspace and not
landing in Canada, customs is also not an issue. However, if you use
Canadian ATC services (which are semi-privatized), you will later receive a
bill for a few bucks, payable by credit card.

If you want to land in Canada, you need to do so first at an airport of
entry, i.e. one with customs service. Canadian customs is really fairly
simple. Before departing the US (at least 1 hour in advance) call Canadian
customs at 1-888-226-7277 (888-CANPASS) to advise them of your intentions.
They will want to know stuff like the aircraft number, point of departure,
airport of arrival, ETA, number and nationality of occupants, etc. When
filing your US flight plan, under "comments" note that you will require
customs service. (This really doesn't do anything, but it's apparently
still in the regs.) When you arrive at the Canadian destination, ask ground
control for taxi to customs. (At uncontrolled fields, there should be
signs.) How customs is handled from that point seems to vary by location,
but the process is fairly painless and free. I strongly recommend that you
bring passports for all aboard -- not STRICTLY required for US citizens, but
makes things much easier. Customs will give you a registration number that
you should write down and keep in the airplane. This provides evidence of
clearance if any issues arise.

Unfortunately, returning to the US is not nearly as simple. First of all,
you have to alert US customs in advance where and when you will be arriving.
It has to be an airport of entry, but such a designation does not mean that
customs service will be there, even during normal business hours.
Furthermore, unlike Canadian customs, there is no central number to call.
Instead, you have to call the customs office at the airport you intend to
land at and negotiate a time of arrival. What's the phone number for that
customs office? You would think that the US Customs service would make that
information available online, but I've never found it. Fortunately, AOPA
members can find a complete listing at
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/guides/custaprt.html. This calling ahead
can sometimes be challenging because, as I noted, the customs offices at
smaller airports are often unmanned. Then, you need to arrive precisely at
the negotiated time, give or take a few minutes, to assure that the customs
agent will be there. File a Canadian flight plan, and be sure to check the
"ADCUS" (advise customs) box.

When you arrive for US Customs inspection, you will have to fill our two
lengthy forms. Customs charges an annual $25 fee for each airplane, for
which you get a very ugly decal that you are supposed to plaster on the
outside of your airplane near the passenger door. If you don't have the
decal, the customs agent will collect the $25 and you will be sent the decal
by mail for any future (same year) use.

The bill for Canadian ATC services will come some time later. For light
aircraft, the charges will typically be around US$13 or so.

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old March 17th 04, 05:06 PM
Doug

Although there is an ancient and unenforced FCC requirement for a
radio license, no one checks for it. I have never been asked for
insurance papers either (been up there 4 times, once each year for the
last 4 years).

Also, it is easier if you land at an airport with a permanent customs
officer, that way you don't have to sweat your arrival time and he
doesn't have to travel to check you in. It is also somewhat easier to
avoid the big airports. This is true of coming back to the US.

There is the Canadian "green book" that is the Canadian equivalent to
our AFD. Get it and the charts (I use WAC's), and you are set to go.
They use 126.70 all over for Candian FSS.

There are a lot of FSS on the field and they act as an "official
Unicom". They call it a Mandatory Frequency. They will open and close
your VFR flight plans automatically. Some of these are going away,
however. Also, you have to talk to them to taxi out and takeoff. They
are sort of a non-tower-tower. They are not a tower, but they act like
one. Go in and get a weather briefing. They have the actual paper
weather charts like you read about when you got your private!

The air is the same as the US. The rules are similar. If you can fly
in the US, you can fly in Canada. Just update your GPS, get the charts
and the green book and you are set to go.

Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 26th 04 11:24 PM
Flying into Canada Don Tuite Owning 2 March 16th 04 08:08 AM
Progress on Flying Car Steve Dufour General Aviation 5 December 19th 03 03:48 PM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM
Flying from US to Canada Aarfy Owning 8 July 22nd 03 06:13 AM