Seeking head rest for ASW-20C - or a cheap chiropracter : )

Old July 18th 19, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Colton

Default Seeking head rest for ASW-20C - or a cheap chiropracter : )

I love my ASW-20C but one thing is missing. A baby soft fuzzy headreast to lean into against those full-rack black-out pull ups, and barf your guts red-out push overs. I need one of those soft lams wool pillows attached to a decent frame to configure the perfect head rest. Does anyone has a lead? Is anyone selling a damaged ASW-20 for parts and has a great headres. Is anyone a lexus parking lot attendant and has access to ..... I won't tell..

DC
Old July 18th 19, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Colton wrote on 7/17/2019 8:22 PM:
I love my ASW-20C but one thing is missing. A baby soft fuzzy headreast to lean into against those full-rack black-out pull ups, and barf your guts red-out push overs. I need one of those soft lams wool pillows attached to a decent frame to configure the perfect head rest. Does anyone has a lead? Is anyone selling a damaged ASW-20 for parts and has a great headres. Is anyone a lexus parking lot attendant and has access to ..... I won't tell..

Contact Karl Striedieck. He was the Schleicer dealer during the ASW 20 era, and
also routinely removed seat back and head rest from the 20's he owned.

-

Old July 18th 19, 10:38 AM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Colton View Post
I love my ASW-20C but one thing is missing. A baby soft fuzzy headreast to lean into against those full-rack black-out pull ups, and barf your guts red-out push overs. I need one of those soft lams wool pillows attached to a decent frame to configure the perfect head rest. Does anyone has a lead? Is anyone selling a damaged ASW-20 for parts and has a great headres. Is anyone a lexus parking lot attendant and has access to ..... I won't tell..

DC
Until you find the perfect headrest roll up a piece of memory foam. Works for me .
Old July 18th 19, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I made a headrest once by stitching together two wash cloths and stuffed
the pillow with foam.Â* Wasn't the greatest looking, but worked great!

Or you could swap that '20 for an LS-6.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 18th 19, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 8:43:08 AM UTC-4, Delta8 wrote:
Dan Colton;995156 Wrote:
I love my ASW-20C but one thing is missing. A baby soft fuzzy headreast
to lean into against those full-rack black-out pull ups, and barf your
guts red-out push overs. I need one of those soft lams wool pillows
attached to a decent frame to configure the perfect head rest. Does
anyone has a lead? Is anyone selling a damaged ASW-20 for parts and has
a great headres. Is anyone a lexus parking lot attendant and has
access to ..... I won't tell..

DC

Until you find the perfect headrest roll up a piece of memory foam.
Works for me .

--
Delta8

The issue with memory foam is it gets very hard at cold temps. But you don't want to use something bouncy that will cause your head to rebound if you crash. I'm using some foam (type unknown) that seems to absorb some energy but isn't so cold sensitive. Memory foam works great for seat cushions because our body heat keeps it warm Not the same for headrests.

Chip Bearden
Old July 18th 19, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Dan Colton;995156 Wrote:
[...]

Weren't the ASW20C headrests a Mercedes part?
Jim
Old August 18th 19, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What is the purpose of that headrest anyway? I have flown without headrest for years, but I just purchased an LS8 with a nice soft headrest. I have four flights so far, and other than leaning my head way back to touch the head rest a time or two, I have no idea that it’s been there. Am I missing something? Or is it just to prevent whiplash caused by aggressive winch drivers?
Old August 18th 19, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

It’s for the brief nap when you have glide on home 75 miles out.

Or to prevent the crap in the baggage compartment from hitting you in the head in turbulence or a rough landing.

Old August 19th 19, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 11:01:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What is the purpose of that headrest anyway? ...Am I missing something?

Same as in your car:
Headrest is to prevent whiplash injury after forward impact.