e Reader options for xc soar?

Old July 23rd 13, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default e Reader options for xc soar?

What e Readers are you all using with XC Soar?

Check out this photo. Looks outstanding to me...what product is this? This is a European glider I believe...

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=96fd2...A89ng71-Olr8Wc

Sean

Old July 23rd 13, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

That's the traditional Nook "Simple Touch" http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1102344735 I can vouch for it as an e-reader but it is pretty slow for something like xc-soar.

JP
Old July 23rd 13, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I very strongly suspect it is a Nook (from Barnes and Noble). The power button has a distinctive "n" shape to it. I'm not familiar will all the models, but it looks like the http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1102344735

I recall reading somewhere that Nooks run a non-standard version of Android, but there are ways to convert them to "normal" Android tablets.

Cheers,
-Mark Rebuck
Old July 23rd 13, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_3_]

Am 23.07.2013 16:03, Sean F (F2) wrote:
What e Readers are you all using with XC Soar?

Check out this photo. Looks outstanding to me...what product is this? This is a European glider I believe...

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=96fd2...A89ng71-Olr8Wc

Sean

XCSoar is also beeing ported to the Kobo mini reader, here you can see a
pictu http://max.kellermann.name/download/...shots/kobo.jpg

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old July 23rd 13, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

These new devices are interesting, notwithstanding possible slowness.
However, I wonder how you mount them in the cockpit since they're so large.
Will you make a leg strap or mount it to a stalk? Simply laying it on your
lap could become an expensive surprise when you hit a strong vertical shear
and it rises up and through your canopy!

I made paper cutouts of all my instruments and of various sized Android
devices and tried laying them on a spare uncut panel I have. Not even a 7
inch model could be integrated into my panel and I didn't want a Ram mounted
thing that big blocking the view of my panel.

For now, my Streak on a home made mount works great but I'm always on the
lookout for a suitable replacement.

Old July 23rd 13, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Hostage

I am flying with a Nook Simple Touch, loaded with TopHat (a derivative of
XCSoar, see: tophat.freeforums.org), connected to a Cambridge 302. The
display is superb in direct sunlight and the update rate is immaterial,
given that I use the instrument for occasional quick reference, not
detailed and continuous study.

I have mounted the Nook on a stalk attached to the cockpit side rail,
giving me full panel access for regular instruments.

Mike

Old July 23rd 13, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AGL

On Tuesday, 23 July 2013 11:48:07 UTC-4, Mike Hostage wrote:
I am flying with a Nook Simple Touch, loaded with TopHat (a derivative of

XCSoar, see: tophat.freeforums.org),

Yes, it's a Nook. I have one with TopHat too, but use a USB mouse GPS or my back-up generic Garmin with a serial/usb adapter. I take it home and download the igc file by USB. (ok for the OLC) It works very well so far.

I made custom clips for a RAM-HOL-TAB-SMU with a 1" ball system to the cockpit side rail. It covers the spare Winter mechanical vario I never use.

After flying four hours on the regular 7AH batteries with that and an audio vario, voltage dropped from 12.8 12.6 volts. One day I'll measure the current usage, but it's a non-issue.

I see no indication that it's too slow to do the job. On-line objections about speed or ghosting have been theoretical. Try one! It's cheap enough. :-)
Old July 23rd 13, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

This is video of our installation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a28I9u0fYO8

Still some issues with IOIO connection, but I have been flying with
it. It's B&W only, some ghost images, maybe slow... but readability
in glider cockpit is so much better than anything else, that I am
sure that this is the future of PNA devices.

Since viewing angle is practically unlimited, kneeboard use should
be possible.

Old July 24th 13, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Does the Simple Touch have sound? I know that my old Nook (which I still use) doesn't have any sound, GPS, etc.
I've seen these around for under $50 recently..
Old July 24th 13, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No sound on the Nook. Someone on the Top Hat site posted a means of getting sound out. Involved extra hardware.

Slow display and ghosting is no problem in my opinion. Seems at least as fast as the PDA's many of us have been using. Getting the nook setup is a bit fiddly, but not at all difficult using the instructions on the Top Hat Soaring site.

IGC Reader for iPhone/iPad Jelle Vandebeeck[_2_] Soaring 13 October 25th 11 09:05 PM
RAS group reader Andy Smiel Soaring 15 November 20th 10 11:17 PM
News Reader Stretch Aviation Photos 2 March 10th 08 11:40 AM
easy to use news reader? Dave[_16_] Aviation Photos 10 August 18th 07 12:24 AM
looking for Reader's Digest article [email protected] Soaring 0 March 23rd 06 03:16 AM