Open Bearing Question

Old August 24th 15, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JD Williams

Default Open Bearing Question

During my first annual with my Phoebus A1, we were looking at the rudder control arm connection and noticed an odd bearing. It's designed to move in multiple axes, so it seems like the bearings being exposed is notmal. But, having not seen such a beast, is there anything to pay more attention to with exposed bearings, different approach to lubrication, etc.

Picture of the connected assembly and the bearing:http://imgur.com/a/kbptW

Glider is a Phoebus A1 (1966)

Thanks!
JD
Old August 24th 15, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 8:44:28 PM UTC-4, JD Williams wrote:
During my first annual with my Phoebus A1, we were looking at the rudder control arm connection and noticed an odd bearing. It's designed to move in multiple axes, so it seems like the bearings being exposed is notmal. But, having not seen such a beast, is there anything to pay more attention to with exposed bearings, different approach to lubrication, etc.

Picture of the connected assembly and the bearing:http://imgur.com/a/kbptW

Glider is a Phoebus A1 (1966)

Thanks!
JD

JD,

this is a common double row spherical ball bearing, designed to accommodate a good deal of misalignment. Typically, there is a felt ring on both sides keeping the dirt out and the grease in.
Wash it out with a good blast of brake parts cleaner, work some heavy grease into the space between the inner and outer race, install the felt rings and life will be good for a year or two.

Uli
'AS'
Old August 24th 15, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JD Williams

Thanks, Uli! I'll take care of that next weekend.