P-51 - An American Ambassador Remembered

Old December 6th 05, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default P-51 - An American Ambassador Remembered

http://www.rense.com/general69/p51.htm

Happy landings,

Old December 6th 05, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Private" wrote in message
http://www.rense.com/general69/p51.htm

Happy landings,

It's a beautiful sentiment.
Believe it or not, I've actually lived an exact duplication of this scenario
more than a few times in my life.
No matter where I was with our P51, the request was always the same; a low
pass and a roll or two before departing the area.
I complied wherever and whenever I could, if time and fuel permitted.
I always felt that when this happened I was just a player. The 51 and indeed
the Merlin sound are one of the most recognizable combinations in all of
aviation. I don't think I ever met anyone seriously involved with flying who
wouldn't admit to having a life long love affair with the airplane.
To many of the people that I met at the fields on these stops en route to
and coming from the air displays I flew, their request would be their once
in a lifetime chance to be so close to the airplane.
Most of all I remember the kids the most. In every face I saw myself at that
age.
I think I enjoyed those little impromptu small airport climbing rolls more
than any displays I ever flew.
Dudley Henriques

Old December 6th 05, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I tend to gravitate to the warbirds as well, the mid mark spits being
the favs (the SOUND again)!..... (but 'stangs OK too)

We have a squadron of TBM's here.. being retired soon, but are rigged
as spray planes and water bombers.

Was working on my boat early (0530) one quiet morning when 5 round
engines flew over my house , in formation, at 150 ft. OTW to kill
bugs...

I felt blessed, neighbours felt awake.. heh....

Some just don't understand these things,- have no sense of humor,
aviation, or both..

Dave

Old December 11th 05, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dudley

There are two sounds of the Merlin engine I remember. First was the
classical cruise or high power sound. The other was the sound when you
pitched off the deck in the pattern and pulled the throttle back to
idle. The popping noise with the short stacks was very distincive
also.

Very few alive today remember when pitching off the deck landing, was
the operating mode.

About all we can do now is dream of the good old days )

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````

Old December 11th 05, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Big John" wrote

Very few alive today remember when pitching off the deck landing, was
the operating mode.

What is this "pitching off the deck" that you are describing?
--
Jim in NC
Old December 11th 05, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Big John" wrote in message
news

Dudley

There are two sounds of the Merlin engine I remember. First was the
classical cruise or high power sound. The other was the sound when you
pitched off the deck in the pattern and pulled the throttle back to
idle. The popping noise with the short stacks was very distincive
also.

Very few alive today remember when pitching off the deck landing, was
the operating mode.

About all we can do now is dream of the good old days )

Big John

Big John,

Is flying the "Pitch Up To Land" similar to making an "overhead recovery"
that the military guys fly where they fly runway heading then break one by
one onto the downwind?

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
AZ Cloudbusters
Chandler, AZ

Old December 11th 05, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

About all we can do now is dream of the good old days )

Click here whenever you need a "Merlin fix", Big John:

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/merlin[1].wav

Turn the speakers down, or you'll scare the wife...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 11th 05, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Definitely my favorite warbird. Kewl...