A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Compare MRX with PF Portable

Old August 6th 13, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Compare MRX with PF Portable

Now that my PowerFlarm PCAS performs as well or better than my Zaon (thanks to the latest firmware and the shorter antenna)

Just last weekend I flew another side by side comparison between the ZAON MRX and my Power FLARM portable.

For about half of the flight the Power FLARM indicated a spurious warning of my own mode C transponder. (Yes, I do have it configured so it knows I have a transponder)

I am using the antennas supplied with the portable but have them extended away from the unit with about 12 inches of RG58U. That allows me to get everything on the glareshield of my PA28.

As I reported earlier, the detection range of the PFP is much improved with the latest firmware update. Hovever, the spurious alerting of ownship tranponder is a signicant issue as this alert will take priority over any other transponder targets. I don't know if it also inhibits FLARM and ADS-B warnings.

My MRX won't be for sale for a while yet.

Andy

Old August 7th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:24:46 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
Now that my PowerFlarm PCAS performs as well or better than my Zaon (thanks to the latest firmware and the shorter antenna)

Just last weekend I flew another side by side comparison between the ZAON MRX and my Power FLARM portable.

For about half of the flight the Power FLARM indicated a spurious warning of my own mode C transponder. (Yes, I do have it configured so it knows I have a transponder)

I am using the antennas supplied with the portable but have them extended away from the unit with about 12 inches of RG58U. That allows me to get everything on the glareshield of my PA28.

As I reported earlier, the detection range of the PFP is much improved with the latest firmware update. Hovever, the spurious alerting of ownship tranponder is a signicant issue as this alert will take priority over any other transponder targets. I don't know if it also inhibits FLARM and ADS-B warnings.

Andy

I have mod S transponder and I experience the same issue but not as frequently probably once every 10-15 min sometimes only sporadic sometimes more often. I get an alert and the altitude difference would be jumping around +/- 75 feet but eventually the thing settles and goes away. I was debating if I should not put my ZAON back in.
Old August 7th 13, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:38:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:24:46 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

Andy

I have mod S transponder and I experience the same issue but not as frequently probably once every 10-15 min sometimes only sporadic sometimes more often. I get an alert and the altitude difference would be jumping around +/- 75 feet but eventually the thing settles and goes away. I was debating if I should not put my ZAON back in.

I sent a dump file to FLARM months ago because I was having some issues with less than optimum PCAS. Included were some alerts which appeared suddenly and it appeared that the PowerFlarm was detecting my own transponder. Within the dump file were a number of comments which said something along the lines of "failed to detect own transponder signal or reply" I sent this with a polite note asking for help to Flarm. Month or so later, I again asked for help. Month or so later I sent an email to the US rep I purchased from to see if he could muster some help. Reply from Flarm to date... NONE.....NONE....NONE...and more NONE....

In contrast, I sent a note to Winter asking for a couple of ASI dials with a change to the orientation to the zero position. They shipped them the next day , the price was a bargain, and were super awesome to deal with. THAT's customer service! Thanks Winter!
Old August 7th 13, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I also have a ModeS transponder (Trig TT21).
My "Own Transponder" issue was resolved with the update to the core FirmWare 3.31.
I know that this FW update particularly resolved the ModeS "Own Transponder" issue. I am not sure if it also addressed the ModeC "Own Transponder" issue.
(ModeS has the ICAO code encoded in the datastream which helps with recognition)
Old August 7th 13, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

While I had less than optimal PCAS reception with my powerflarm until recent firmware upgrades and antenna replacement, I had zero false alarms during the 300 hours I flew with it, not even once. I have a Becker mode C transponder.
My experience so far with both Powerflarm and Butterfly support was very positive. I found both Gerhard and Marc to be very responsive. Just need to know who to contact instead of sending emails to the official email address which may be clogged...

Ramy
Old August 7th 13, 10:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:21:18 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I also have a ModeS transponder (Trig TT21).

My "Own Transponder" issue was resolved with the update to the core FirmWare 3.31.

I know that this FW update particularly resolved the ModeS "Own Transponder" issue. I am not sure if it also addressed the ModeC "Own Transponder" issue.

(ModeS has the ICAO code encoded in the datastream which helps with recognition)

I only see Core Firmware 3.00 on the website. Where is 3.31 available?
Old August 7th 13, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:43:30 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
While I had less than optimal PCAS reception with my powerflarm until recent firmware upgrades and antenna replacement, I had zero false alarms during the 300 hours I flew with it, not even once. I have a Becker mode C transponder.

My experience so far with both Powerflarm and Butterfly support was very positive. I found both Gerhard and Marc to be very responsive. Just need to know who to contact instead of sending emails to the official email address which may be clogged...

Ramy

Ramy,

I sent all the above mentioned emails to direct individual email addresses. Including the dealer. It appears that FLARM has chosen not to reply/help.

Mark
Old August 7th 13, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

PowerFlarm FirmWare version 3.31
http://www.powerflarm.aero/index.php...ge-and-support

As Ramy says, I am also very pleased with the current level of the functionality of the PowerFlarm system.
I have had already several all-out alarms for potential collisions, including a ADS-B alarm while turning right base with a Cirrus turning left base.
Great functionality at less than half the price of my parachute.

My communication with the Flarm development works pretty well.
I am not associated with Flarm, PowerFlarm or Butterfly. But I work in High Tech. If I had to run an small operation like Flarm/PowerFlarm and I had to manage a very resource constrained team, I would also elect to focus on development and interaction with a few key knowledgeable users, who are capable of helping debugging. I would refrain from spending much resource on answering random emails/calls. I would most particularly ignore emails from users where it is obvious that they have not read any documentation (even if that documentation is still limited)

If you need generic help, I recommend to consult with established users or on forums like this. The collective knowledge is growing quickly.

Hoping for further adoption of PowerFlarm in the US.

ThreeUniform.
Old August 8th 13, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I do not work in tech, but If I did, I too might want to try out a new product with a few technically knowledgeable users to help me identify and correct problems. However, I would hope that I would do so BEFORE trying to sell the product on the open market.

What type of parachute do you use? PowerFlarm appears to cost between about $1600 to $1900 in the US. Parachutes seem to be in the $1700 to $2200 range. Hmm, I have not actually used my chute except as a seat cushion. I wonder if it's actually a beta test version...
Old August 8th 13, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:16:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:
PowerFlarm FirmWare version 3.31

Thanks for the tip on ver 3.31. I did not know that was available and it does include a change for own transponder supression.

However, the release notes include -

Known issues:
- Mode C targets at own altitude may be suppressed.

What is the use of a PCAS function that does not reliably detect targets at own ship altitude? These are the ones that can kill you.

Why would anyone part with a ZAON MRX that does reliably detect mode C targets at own altitude?

ZAON has worked out how to inhibit own tranponder alerting without suppresing other same altitude returns. I don't think it was easy for them to achieve though, and there are maintenance menus for tailoring the supression characteristics to a specific installation.

Andy