Jaxida (or other brand) covers

Old June 2nd 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Jaxida (or other brand) covers

I want to leave my Phoebus A assembled between flights. It is in CA -
at a desert site with searing sun in the summer, ample wind and (of
course) rain in the winter though not often much below freezing.

What experience can you share about using Jaxida (or other brand)
covers? How well do they protect? How much of a hassle are they to
put on and off? Any other comments?

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

thanks

steve

Old June 2nd 06, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

syoun10 wrote:
I want to leave my Phoebus A assembled between flights. It is in CA -
at a desert site with searing sun in the summer, ample wind and (of
course) rain in the winter though not often much below freezing.

What experience can you share about using Jaxida (or other brand)
covers? How well do they protect? How much of a hassle are they to
put on and off? Any other comments?

I happened to be chatting to a fellow pilot last weekend, and he said
that when he used covers it took substantially longer to remove and
replace them than it did to rig and derig the glider (LS8).

Wouldn't one-man rigging gear be cheaper than covers?

My Open Cirrus takes about 15 mins to rig and tape up with two helpers,
and about 10 mins to derig. I've heard the Phoebus can be more awkward
though. If your wings have balsa cores, I'd be concerned about covers in
the wet weather.
Old June 2nd 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chris Reed schrieb:

I happened to be chatting to a fellow pilot last weekend, and he said
that when he used covers it took substantially longer to remove and
replace them than it did to rig and derig the glider (LS8).

I can confirm that by my own experience. An LS 8 is rigged faster than
pulled out of a Jaxida cover ... *if* you have two fellow pilots who are
helping you. (This equation will be different for two-seaters, of
course.) Heck, in our club we even rig and de-rig single seaters instead
of putting them in the hangar, because we found even this to be faster!

With Jaxida covers, you don't need that help. I don't have experiences
with one-man rigging devices.

Stefan
Old June 2nd 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi
I used to have a Phoebus C with Jaxida type covers (made them myself
with help from my wife) that I kept outside for two seasons (May -
September). I live in Finland where the weather can be really moist for
long periods. I never had a problem with the moisture. In fact it was
damper in the aluminium trailer I had for the ship. (Sadly) I have no
experience of the kind of weather you have in the summer.
Matts

Old June 2nd 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello Steve,

We keep our plane in So Cal in the same environment which you
describe. We have a cover, not Jaxida. It is absolutely no problem
getting the cover off or on. The procedure is quite simple. The bungee
cords which hold the cover tight and which pass under the belly have to
be strong, to minimize the possibility of sand getting on the canopy in
strong wind conditions. We clean the canopy carefully anyway whenever
we remove the cover before flight. There has been no problem due to the
(infrequent) rain in the Mohave Desert.

Cheers, Charles

Old June 2nd 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Steve,

we have bought Jaxidas last year for our LS 3. Yes, no need the same time to uncover your glider, but it's easier to handle. My
experience is that Jaxidas are best choice. They are expensive but very good because of the knowledge of the Jaxida-producer.

Best regards

Lupo.

Old June 7th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

syoun10 wrote:
I want to leave my Phoebus A assembled between flights. It is in CA -
at a desert site with searing sun in the summer, ample wind and (of
course) rain in the winter though not often much below freezing.

What experience can you share about using Jaxida (or other brand)
covers? How well do they protect? How much of a hassle are they to
put on and off? Any other comments?

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

thanks

steve

Steve,

Mike here, I flew with you last Wedneday in my Cirrus. I know of an
case first hand where covers (Solera) did very well for over 10 years
in this area.

Give me a call and I will fill you in... 661.284.6967.

BTW, leaving you ship out for a month or two should not be a problem,
it was painted.

MM

Jaxida covers for Duo Discus -- FREE Bob Korves Soaring 1 May 2nd 06 11:40 PM
Emfo vs. Jaxida covers faadpe Soaring 2 November 15th 05 01:11 AM
Jaxida covers Miguel Lavalle Soaring 1 March 1st 04 02:45 PM
Trouble e-mailing Jaxida Covers Bob Kibby Soaring 0 September 14th 03 08:23 PM