Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance?

Old January 24th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles McLaurin

Default Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance?

Wouldn't pee tube drag be affected by the size of the
instrument?

Old January 25th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Charles McLaurin wrote:
Wouldn't pee tube drag be affected by the size of the
instrument?

No, no! It's the stream volume and the suction that are important to the
required pee tube size. "Instrument" size doesn't matter - doesn't
anyone think these things through anymore?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old January 30th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 24 Jan, 22:28, Charles McLaurin
wrote:
Wouldn't pee tube drag be affected by the size of the
instrument?

One day I am going to fit the outside end of my pee tube to an eight
inch venturi. I am sure it will make it far more, um, efficient, and
well worth any small L/D penalty. What's a landout when you're
grinning like a loon?

Ian