Wikipedia:Yaw string

Old January 29th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default Wikipedia:Yaw string

Shut up!!

How am I gonna get rich selling these things if you post accurate info like
that?

bumper
"kirk.stant" wrote in message
oups.com...
Darn things work even better when you tape both ends down. Just have
to make sure it's on straight first...

And they last longer on the inside of the canopy, anyway.

66

Old January 30th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

No one has mentioned that yaw strings work on helicopters, too.

Just as important to avoid adverse yaw on a helicopter - and no, the
"downwash" does not render them useful.

Colin

Old January 30th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

and no, the "downwash" does not render them useful.

I should read twice and send once. I meant:

does not render them useless.

Time for a soda.

Colin

Old January 30th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

The FAA RFH (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/faa-
h-8083-21.pdf) only mentions yaw strings on gyroplanes, so I added
that. Find a ref for helicopters, and add the info to the WP article.

and no, the "downwash" does not render them useful.I should read twice and send once. I meant:

Old January 30th 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

I do not recall seeing it written anywhere, but I am a helicopter pilot and
they are on most of the Schweizers (formerly Hughes) that I flew. The
instructors seem to like them and noted when you think you are doing fine
that the yaw string was not centered. Heck, instructors are the same
everywhere, they like to find things you do wrong and point them out - thank
goodness.

Colin

Old January 30th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 29, 9:21 am, Jack wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
More surprisingly to me is the information that...

Yaw strings are also fitted to the
Lockheed U-2 high-altitude surveillance
aircraft http://www.barryschiff.com/high_flight.htm

... but given how close U2s are to falling out the sky
at altitude (the coffin corner), perhaps it isn't too
surprising.Yaw strings have also been found on USAF fighters. They aid in gunnery

training.

Jack

Old January 30th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Jan 29, 4:22 pm, "bumper" wrote:
Shut up!!

How am I gonna get rich selling these things if you post accurate info like
that?

Same way everybody makes a small fortune in aviation - start with a
big one!

Actually, you should consider using the blank surface of the yawstring
for advertising - how about string cheese? Or baling wire?

66