VOR Check question

Old July 27th 05, 07:06 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in news:HZrFe.8543$dU3.6278
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

My understanding is that WAAS has an integrety function and is able to
detect an inaccurate signal.

RAIM (Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring) is available without WAAS,
and was available before WAAS was implemented.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Old July 27th 05, 11:13 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..

I would assume (and I know the etymology) that VORs fail 1000 square miles
at a time, and GPS fails 3,000,000 square miles at a time. Or, more to
the point, there is more systemic redundancy in the VOR system.

The question was, "So why is it presumed that the VOR system cannot fail?",
not, "So why is it presumed that a VOR cannot fail?" The loss of a GPS
satellite would not render the GPS system unusable.

Old July 27th 05, 04:33 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message
"Mike Rapoport" wrote in news:HZrFe.8543$dU3.6278
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

My understanding is that WAAS has an integrety function and is able to
detect an inaccurate signal.

RAIM (Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring) is available without WAAS,
and was available before WAAS was implemented.

--
Regards,

Stan

I'm aware of that. The WAAS signal was to contain another
intergrety/availiblity function.

Mike
MU-2

Old July 27th 05, 05:00 PM
Jose

The question was, "So why is it presumed that the VOR system cannot fail?",
not, "So why is it presumed that a VOR cannot fail?" The loss of a GPS
satellite would not render the GPS system unusable.

.... and my response addresses exactly that. The failure of a single VOR
(or even twenty) won't cripple the VOR system. But the (albeit
unlikely) failure of twenty satellites will cripple the GPS system.
There is more systemic redundancy in the VOR system, just by virtue of
there being more VORs, and by virtue of the fact that a single VOR
affects a relatively small area.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old July 27th 05, 05:08 PM
Clay

Remember.
ALL FAR's are written to violate the pilot.

Old July 27th 05, 05:36 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

Stan Gosnell writes:

My understanding is that WAAS has an integrety function and is able to
detect an inaccurate signal.

RAIM (Receiver Autonomous Integrity Monitoring) is available without WAAS,
and was available before WAAS was implemented.

Look up FDE "fault detection / exclusion" instead. This computation
is possible to perform without WAAS (the GNS430 does some now), but
WAAS carries satellite health flags that simplify it.

- FChE
Old July 27th 05, 09:21 PM
Brien K. Meehan

91.205(d)(2) is exactly the point. If a pilot is using VOR ground
facilities, a VOR receiver would be appropriate. If he's not (e.g.
using TACAN or GPS), a VOR receiver would not be appropriate and
therefore not required.

Support for the anti-requirement is in 91.205(e), which specifically
accounts for flying IFR without a VOR.

Old July 27th 05, 09:56 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message ...

Well, okay, but I work with this stuff all the time.

That doesn't mean you understand it.

Here is from the current FAA Order 8260.19C:

l. Dual Minimums. Enter dual minimums, when authorized. Do not publish
dual minimums unless a 60-foot operational advantage is obtained or a
reduction in visibility can be achieved. To avoid proliferation of dual
minimums, *all IFR aircraft are assumed to have at least one VOR
receiver*. Dual minimums based on a stepdown fix combined with local and
remote altimeter settings could result in four sets of minimums. When two
remote sources are used, treat the source resulting in lower minimums as
the "LOCAL" altimeter setting source in the following paragraphs.
Document only two sets of minimums. The combinations authorized are
minimums with and without a stepdown fix; or minimums with local and
remote altimeter settings.

The words between the asteriks are reflective of FAA Class I navigation
policy, which is a requirement to be a part of ICAO.

FAA Order 8260.19C places no regulatory requirements upon pilots or the
operation of aircraft.

Sure it does. It provides guidance for minimums, procedural data notes, etc,
which
are Part 97 imperatives when transmitted through the rule-making process onto
the
approach chart. Obviously, you don't know what you're talking about.

How are you doing with that reference for the timing tables on NACO charts
being IAS?

Those are "speeds." How you choose to use them is up to you. The regulatory
basis is the
distance from the FAF to the MAP. Nothing more, nothing less. Obviously, with
today's
equipment navigating to the MAP via RNAV is more accurate than a pilot attempt
convert IAS to TAS, then to G/S.

Old July 28th 05, 11:42 AM

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote:

91.205(d)(2) is exactly the point. If a pilot is using VOR ground
facilities, a VOR receiver would be appropriate. If he's not (e.g.
using TACAN or GPS), a VOR receiver would not be appropriate and
therefore not required.

Support for the anti-requirement is in 91.205(e), which specifically
accounts for flying IFR without a VOR.

You're reading the regulation without the context of FAA policy. VOR is
still the primary en route nav aid. Write FAA Flight Standards in DC
and ask them if the regulation means what you think it means.