Tracking the Elusive Tracing Paper

Old August 24th 04, 08:34 PM
Veeduber

Default Tracking the Elusive Tracing Paper

Got a call the other night from a total stranger who identified himself as a
fellow resident of northern San Diego county and a homebuilder, too, although
he lives up near the Pala Indian reservation which puts him even farther out in
the sticks than me.

He's trying to track down some tracing paper. He's apologizing fifteen to the
dozen but he's not a draughtsman and he's bought these plans for a thang called
an RW-20 and he'd like to try making some ribs but the rib drawing spans two
pages and he's never done this sort of thing before and he feels really silly
about calling me because a minor detail like tracing the rib drawing has blown
him right out of the water before he's even gotten started. Help?

I was smiling. (Okay, I was laughing my ass off.) But I know what he was
going through. The mere idea of building an "AIRPLANE" in capital letters with
quotes around it. And the fact all the experts say to TRACE the drawing so as
not to destroy the ORIGINAL, as if ten years from now some inspector was going
to insist on seeing the ORIGINAL drawing and would chop off your head if you
couldn't produce it.

"Grocery store," I told him. "Baking section. Look for ‘parchment paper.'
Use a new Sharpie ink pencil."

High Stammer burbled out of the telephone.

"Regular pencil won't work because the paper is treated with some sort of
anti-stick stuff but a Sharpie works fine. Or you can use waxed paper. Waxed
paper makes great tracing paper but nowadays most folks don't carry those
narrow-lead wax pencils you need to write on the stuff. Ink pencils work fine
on waxed paper but you have to clean the tip now and then."

The phone is gurgling... never thought... never realized.... never dreamed of
using...

"Or you could just drop by the shop and borrow my rib jig. It's for the RW-19
but the dash-twenty uses the same airfoil. That is, if you're using
five-sixteenths stock. If you're making the ultralight wing with the
quarter-inch stock, it won't work.. I think I've still got the router
templates for the nose rib around here somewhere too. Hello?"

The phone had gone ominously silent. Then a lady came on the line. "Who is
this?" she demanded. "And what have you done to my husband?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Truth is, I haven't used real tracing paper since the late 1950's when it was
replaced by frosted acetate and later by frosted Mylar. And I haven't done any
T-square drafting since I stumbled upon a copy of DeltaCAD on the remand table
at the CompUSA store in Escondido. Nine bux. Cheep.

DeltaCAD is a soopersimple 2D drafting program just a tad above a T-square &
triangle and at least as easy to use. Now I do all of my lay-out work inside
the computer. That means I get to make all of my mistakes on the display
screen instead of on metal. Ditto for rib drawings - - or any other part of
the airframe. I have to get it into the computer to begin with but that's an
arm-chair sorta chore, something you do in increments whenever you have a
little spare time.

But lotsa folks still copy the drawing of a rib onto tracing paper using a good
old fashioned #2 yaller pencil. This message is mostly for them.

If you've got a bright enough light you'll find that plain white shelf-lining
paper works perfectly well to make a tracing. Sliding glass door makes a
pretty good light-table. Bounce sunlight against the back of your drawing, you
can even use brown wrapping paper.

-R.S.Hoover

PS - I wasn't foolin' about the rib jig. Roger Mann, the designer of the
RW-19/20 (the -20 is a two-place with SBS seating; the -19 has a narrower
fuselage with tandem seating) uses a very interesting wing with a fixed slat
and Junker-type ailerons as well as an ingenious long-travel oleo-pneumatic
landing gear strut made out of the front forks of an off-road motorcycle.
Innovations of this sort are of interest to me so I bought a set of his plans
and studied them, going so far as to make a short practice wing using his
airfoil, strapped it to the top of my 1965 VW bus and ran it up & down Highway
395 to see how it worked. Which was good, except for that nice man from the
California Highway Patrol... who eventually let me off with a warning.
Old August 24th 04, 11:23 PM
jls

Hey, VeeDubya, what about it? Nice. Homebuilding stuff amid all the
'lectioneering and trolls. Thanks.
Old August 25th 04, 04:05 AM
guynoir

I've been doing a lot of reverse engineering using Deltacad. I scan a
1963-vintage mylar drawing and then paste it full size into Deltacad,
then I can trace directly over the image. I've done drawings 13 feet
long and 5 feet wide that way (these are Sikorsky S-64 parts). I can
use Deltacad to adjust the scale of the image in x and y directions to
get within .020 across a 12 foot drawing, but I have to use an image
editor to take any warpage, skew etc. out of the image.

Once I get a usable 2d vector drawing, I can import it into a modeling
program and design tooling, flat patterns, 3d parts, etc. Deltacad
works much better than the automatic vectorizing program I was using before.

Another thing I really like about Deltacad is the great flexibility and
ease of printing drawings on a large format plotter (or any printer for
that matter). The Oshkosh satellite photo posted here a couple weeks
ago happened to be a really high resolution image. I copied it into
Deltacad and printed it out on 42" wide photo paper. It looks really
nice thumb tacked to the wall.

I used the demo version for about a year before I sprung $50 for the
non-watermark version.

For me, Deltacad is the ultimate tracing paper.

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Old August 25th 04, 07:06 AM
Richard Lamb

guynoir wrote:

[...]

I WANT YOUR PRINTER !
Old August 25th 04, 08:13 PM
Wright1902Glider

Where can I get me one of them DeltaCAD thingies? How much comp. power does it
take to run right?

Still scribbling on the brown paper covering the workbench,

Harry Frey
Wright gliders n' stuff

Old August 25th 04, 09:33 PM
Veeduber

Where can I get me one of them DeltaCAD thingies? How much comp. power does
it
take to run right?

It is marketed by Midnight Software. They have a web site and offer a free
trial copy (time crippled; it turns itself off after 30 days). The software
requires very little in the way of memory or computer power and will run on
virtually any windows system.

Most designers and builders of homebuilt aircraft have found DeltaCAD to be far
more practical than the more sophisticated 3D CAD programs since our main
interest is building real airplanes rather than making pretty pictures of them
:-)

-R.S.Hoover
Old August 25th 04, 11:16 PM
Russell Kent

John Kimmel (aka "guynoir") wrote:
I've been doing a lot of reverse engineering using Deltacad. I scan a
1963-vintage mylar drawing and then paste it full size into Deltacad,
then I can trace directly over the image. I've done drawings 13 feet
long and 5 feet wide that way (these are Sikorsky S-64 parts).

..
.. snip
..
The Oshkosh satellite photo posted here a couple weeks
ago happened to be a really high resolution image. I copied it into
Deltacad and printed it out on 42" wide photo paper. It looks really
nice thumb tacked to the wall.

Richard Lamb responded:
I WANT YOUR PRINTER !

Screw that. I want his flatbed scanner! :-)

Russell Kent

Old August 26th 04, 03:27 AM
John Kimmel

Sometimes my 42" plotter isn't wide enough and I have to print out
additional pages and tape them together. But usually it's wide enough.

Richard Lamb wrote:
guynoir wrote:

The scanner I use is a quite reasonably priced HP "Scanjet 4670". Less
than $200. I can pick up the scanner unit and place it anywhere on any
size drawing I want, do a one button scan, move the scanner over, do
another scan and so on. This way I can scan a drawing of any size and
then use imaging software to splice all the scans together. If I want
to take the time. Probably takes half an hour to scan and stitch a
typical d size sheet. That's why we farm out all our big scans to
various local and not so local scanning services.

One other thing about the demo version of Deltacad: To keep using it
after the 30 day trial period, just re-load it. I extended my "trial
period" to over a year.

Screw that. I want his flatbed scanner! :-)

Russell Kent

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

And we gonna piece the print outs together with taps?

I guess I'll stick with my old Epson FX's.

--
John Kimmel

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.