stall strips ???

Old December 7th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer[_1_]

Default stall strips ???

I've noticed stall strips installed on a number of low wing aircraft.

However I've never noticed them installed on a high wing.

How come? Is there something inherent in the design of a high wing that
insures the stall starts at the wing root?
Or perhaps they're out there and I've just not noticed them.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

Old December 7th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Tri-Pacer wrote:
I've noticed stall strips installed on a number of low wing aircraft.

However I've never noticed them installed on a high wing.

How come? Is there something inherent in the design of a high wing that
insures the stall starts at the wing root?
Or perhaps they're out there and I've just not noticed them.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

High wing planes don't generate enough lift to worry about.

-Robert

Old December 7th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michelle P

Tri-Pacer wrote:
I've noticed stall strips installed on a number of low wing aircraft.

However I've never noticed them installed on a high wing.

How come? Is there something inherent in the design of a high wing that
insures the stall starts at the wing root?
Or perhaps they're out there and I've just not noticed them.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

strip strips on the leading edge or a fence? We have several aircraft
with a leading edge cuff. No strips.
Michelle P
Old December 7th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Tri-Pacer wrote:
I've noticed stall strips installed on a number of low wing aircraft.

However I've never noticed them installed on a high wing.

How come? Is there something inherent in the design of a high wing that
insures the stall starts at the wing root?

Low wings are fatally flawed from being in the wrong place, therefore
the add ons to make it fly reasonably well.
Old December 7th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
jls

Tri-Pacer wrote:
I've noticed stall strips installed on a number of low wing aircraft.

However I've never noticed them installed on a high wing.

How come? Is there something inherent in the design of a high wing that
insures the stall starts at the wing root?
Or perhaps they're out there and I've just not noticed them.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

Don't know if this is the answer or not but high wings with struts can
be rigged with washout so the roots stall before the tips and you've
got some aileron authority just before the wing completely stalls.
Piper Cubs, Super Cubs, 172's, 152's, and Taylorcrafts (to name a few)
have ability to adjust for wing washout.

You can remove washout too, and doing so will turn a Taylorcraft into a
squirrelly staller. I know that from experience.

Old December 8th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

jls wrote:

Don't know if this is the answer or not but high wings with struts can
be rigged with washout so the roots stall before the tips and you've
got some aileron authority just before the wing completely stalls.
Piper Cubs, Super Cubs, 172's, 152's, and Taylorcrafts (to name a few)
have ability to adjust for wing washout.

You can remove washout too, and doing so will turn a Taylorcraft into a
squirrelly staller. I know that from experience.

A fabric-covered airplane will have two struts on each wing so that
washout can be set, but an all-metal wing requires only one strut since
the wing forms a torsionally-rigid box and the two struts are not
necessary to keep the wing aligned. Those wings (152s, 172s, etc) have
the washout built into them while being skinned at the factory and it's
not adjustable. Incidence is adjustable at the root, but it's a small
range of adjustment.
A rectangular wing generally needs no washout because its
natural stall pattern begins at the root, for reasons I'm not clear on.
Tapered and elliptical wings tend to start stalling at midspan, so
washout will normally be found on them.
Any wing should be rigged in accordance with the aircraft's
service manual. Tampering with wings to introduce washout or washin
where the type design doesn't call for it (or remove whatever setting
is specified) can be dangerous and create unpredictable handling. If an
airplane consistently drops one particular wing in a coordinated stall,
and the washin is set properly, it's more likely an incidence issue,
not washout.
Stall strips were used to modify stall behavior that was
unacceptable during test flights of new designs. The Bonanza has them.
They'll raise the stall speed, but that's better than having the wing
stall toward the tips first and having some really nasty wing drops
(and maybe immediate spins) or very abrupt stalls. Getting the roots to
start stalling first will create turbulence over the tail, causing a
warning buffet, and will often start the nose downward soon enough to
prevent a full stall.

Dan

Old December 8th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
jls

wrote:
jls wrote:

[...]
[...]

Thanks, Dan, for the excellent advice. I stand, er..... sit corrected.

About 20 years ago the A&P and I were adjusting washout on Taylorcraft
wings because one of them was heavy. We finally got the rigging done
to satisfaction, but in the meantime, I learned to go to a nice
altitude before trying a stall after adding washin.