Moving Gliders

Old May 9th 18, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default Moving Gliders

Best practices for moving gliders around?

Stacking the hangar...

Staging...

Clearing the runway...

I've recently been told that the Europeans never move a glider by the wingtips, but it's almost a necessity when stacking our hangar. (Gliders are on wheel sleds, so the load is not high.) Things can be tight and we often need someone on each wing to prevent hangar rash, but don't have someone as a wingroot pusher.

There are some significant some differences of opinions due to various culture and practices differences from previous clubs. So, what does your club do?

Paul A.
Old May 9th 18, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz6o0LYcroc
Old May 9th 18, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

I've seen that before and it doesn't answer the questions.

PA
Old May 9th 18, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

keskiviikko 9. toukokuuta 2018 4.49.57 UTC+3 Paul Agnew kirjoitti:
Best practices for moving gliders around?

Stacking the hangar...

Staging...

Clearing the runway...

I've recently been told that the Europeans never move a glider by the wingtips, but it's almost a necessity when stacking our hangar. (Gliders are on wheel sleds, so the load is not high.) Things can be tight and we often need someone on each wing to prevent hangar rash, but don't have someone as a wingroot pusher.

There are some significant some differences of opinions due to various culture and practices differences from previous clubs. So, what does your club do?

Paul A.

If the hangar floor is flat concrete (as it always is), we sometimes push from the wingtips as the force is very low. On soft ground we try to prevent unnecessary wear on the fittings by pushing from wing root or mid-wing location.

Always hilarious to read "Europeans do" something
Old May 9th 18, 08:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Move the wingtip forwards and backwards - if there is play between the wing and the fuselage then the glider has been pulled around by the tips. Longer wings more likely to develop play due to this. Well that is what was told to me by my instructor when I was a student - so just never pulled a glider forwards and backwards by the tips. A glider on a dolly that you pushing/pulling sideways by the tips would experience different forces and the wear is not likely be as pronounced.
Old May 9th 18, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

If we wait long enough, somebody of dubious credential will come along and say that pushing on the wingtips is just fine. Have at it.
Old May 9th 18, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:38:35 PM UTC+12, son_of_flubber wrote:
If we wait long enough, somebody of dubious credential will come along and say that pushing on the wingtips is just fine. Have at it.

No credentials, but a couple of questions:

1) what is the function of "drag pins"

2) how much load is put on things by pushing a glider around by the wing tips compared to opening the brakes at high speed, or by a Vne dive with brakes open? (and is either "necessary"?)
Old May 9th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 7:38:35 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
If we wait long enough, somebody of dubious credential will come along and say that pushing on the wingtips is just fine. Have at it.

There is no credentialing on either side so far. I don't know what the answer is. The first question is what does the glider manual say? Any manufacturer statements against it? Most of the time old practices are sound but sometimes it's just some cranks dumb idea that got perpetuated into being SOP.
Old May 9th 18, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Crazy Americans...

--
Dan, 5J