55kt Wind Gusts Almost Blows Away Tugs

Old June 28th 14, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Six-Seven

Default 55kt Wind Gusts Almost Blows Away Tugs

I was sent a link to this interesting video shot from a control tower that shows purported 55kt wind gusts (microburst?) almost blowing some SuperCub tugs right off the runway except for some quick thinking getting them airborne by the pilots (in the right way). Not to mention lots of people holding down some gliders from trying to take off on their own.

There are no location details in the text other than "Colorado" but the video identifies the airport as KAFF (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KAFF) which is the USAF Academy. I believe that they fly DG-1000's.

Scary for the tug pilots to say the least.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/55-...062545/+travis
Old June 28th 14, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

Wow! I don't know that either pilot really planned to take off, but
that 55kt headwind could quickly turn into a hellish tailwind. Not a
great time to be flying near the ground!

Vaughn
Old June 28th 14, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 27, 2014 6:46:53 PM UTC-7, Vaughn wrote:
Wow! I don't know that either pilot really planned to take off, but

that 55kt headwind could quickly turn into a hellish tailwind. Not a

great time to be flying near the ground!

Vaughn

Awesome video clip. Really quick thinking on EVERYONE's decisions on how to handle the situation. And, some good piloting and some good luck. Nasty air.

Bob
Old June 28th 14, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It was shown at Moriarty region 9 as happening at the AF acadamy in colorado springs by the officer videoing it from the control tower. Great job from everyone involved. Very quick thinking by the tug pilots to save all the cubs Not sure I could have done any of that
Old June 28th 14, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

On 28-Jun-14 09:12, Six-Seven wrote:
I was sent a link to this interesting video shot from a control tower
that shows purported 55kt wind gusts (microburst?) almost blowing
some SuperCub tugs right off the runway except for some quick
thinking getting them airborne by the pilots (in the right way). Not
to mention lots of people holding down some gliders from trying to
take off on their own.

There are no location details in the text other than "Colorado" but
the video identifies the airport as KAFF
(http://www.airnav.com/airport/KAFF) which is the USAF Academy.

Great reactions by the Cub pilots. Are they cadets too?

If it's the Academy is the bright green runway in the background the
million dollar Astro Turf?

GC

Old June 28th 14, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I wonder what the wind, radar and forecast looked like before the incident.

My no-go-criteria gets weaker on the weekend.

My instinct is to hold onto the wingtip when my feet leave the ground.
Old June 28th 14, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 9:32:32 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
I wonder what the wind, radar and forecast looked like before the incident.

My no-go-criteria gets weaker on the weekend.

My instinct is to hold onto the wingtip when my feet leave the ground.

I kind of wonder why they were out there in those conditions in the first place.

"safety stand-down" anyone?

Brad
Old June 28th 14, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

It's very difficult to forecast downbursts since they are so random and variable. Conditions can change so quickly that it's hard to call a stand-down.

On the day in question, conditions even a few moments before the incident didn't look bad and a downburst of the magnitude experienced were not forecast.

Anyway, it's good training for them - they may have to fight in the rain!

Mike
Old June 29th 14, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Cub pilots are contract pilots.
And yes that is an astro turf glider runway. Saves a lot on water and mowing.
Old June 29th 14, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Having spoken with an officer who was there, what Mike said is pretty
much how it was described to me.

Dan Marotta

On 6/28/2014 3:37 PM, Mike the Strike wrote:
It's very difficult to forecast downbursts since they are so random and variable. Conditions can change so quickly that it's hard to call a stand-down.

On the day in question, conditions even a few moments before the incident didn't look bad and a downburst of the magnitude experienced were not forecast.

Anyway, it's good training for them - they may have to fight in the rain!

Mike

Vector Wind, Relative Wind calculation C 302/303 [email protected] Soaring 2 December 9th 08 08:23 PM
Winds 320 at 3, gusts to 18 Jay Honeck Piloting 6 September 11th 07 02:58 PM
Tugs Dico Owning 9 May 5th 06 05:20 AM
Priceless Tugs kojak Owning 0 August 9th 05 10:25 PM
FS Pawnee tugs Robert Danewid Soaring 0 August 9th 03 09:51 AM