Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

Old April 5th 17, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Formula 1.0 Grand Prix

Hi All,

Next season in Australia there will be a new competition, dubbed Formula 1.0 as it is a Grand Prix style contest that revolves around the current Australian Club Class handicap point of 1.0, but also includes a bracket in either direction. The following sailplanes are eligible :

Jantar Standard 3
Jantar Standard 2
Jantar Standard (SZD-41A)
LS-1 (A,B,C,D,F)
Marianne
Standard Cirrus
DG-100
Hornet
Open Libelle
ASW-15B
Standard Libelle
Cobra
Astir CS
Astir CS 77
HP-14

There are a large number of gliders in Australia of these type (over 200).

Our contest is being held at Leeton, NSW from the 28th of December 2017 to the 5th of January 2018. Both aerotow and winch will be available.

As there is a slight handicap difference (3%), handicapping will be done by applying a formula to a fixed task that varies the size of the turnpoint circles based on handicap - for example, a Standard Libelle may only have to go within 3 kilometres of a turnpoint, but a Jantar Std 3 may have to go within 500 metres. As with all GP events, pending some simple verification, first across the finish line wins. To minimise risk of pre-start & on task gaggling, we are splitting the pilots into 2 groups based on overall score, updated daily. Winning Group A will give the winning pilot 10 points - winning Group B will be a lesser amount (likely somewhere between 5 and 7).

The purpose is not to get the maximum distance possible from each day, but to set tasks that use the best part of the weather. The focus is on racing, and fun.

As it is a grand prix style event, for safety reasons numbers are strictly limited. In just over 24 hours we have had 24 entries, of a maximum 30.

A custom web application has been written that makes the contest very simple to run. If anyone is interested in finding out more, or possibly holding your own event, please contact us on the 'contact' page on the below website.

The website is available at :

http://f1gp.com.au/

Facebook :

https://www.facebook.com/formula1point0/

Cheers,
Nick.
Old April 6th 17, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Cool stuff Nick. I'll be following for sure.

Best,

Sean
Old April 6th 17, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

Bernie Ecclestone won't be happy with that name - I hope he doesn't come after your huge fortunes with a trade name lawsuit
Old April 6th 17, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Looks like fun, wish i could participate!
Old April 14th 17, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Not sure how many are in Australia, but you can safely add the SZD-59 to that list since it's pretty much a Jantar 3 as far as aerodynamics are concerned.

Same wing w/slightly larger ailerons and removable 1m tips (13.2m acro mode) and same fuselage but with the tailplane from the big Jantar, but in 15m it's essentially the same polar with a slight nod to the 48-3.

Discus seems strangely absent from that list.
Old April 17th 17, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You're right - the SZD-59 would be eligible. It's likely that it doesn't have a club class handicap in Australia because one has never attended a club class comp (I think there is only one here). If someone wanted to bring one, it would be a paperwork issue.

The Discus is way above the performance range for our competition. The Jantar Std 2/3 (and SZD-59) are the upper limit.

Cheers,
Nick.

Old April 18th 17, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

this is very cool, and i like the concept from the point of view of participation. the turn-point thing is a little complicated for a spectator though. that's why you bring the fastest pony to the race isn't it?

I think it would be cool to have an IROC style grandprix, where you just have standard cirrus participate. of course, you have to think about wingloading, but that could really show absolute results with respect to pilot ability.

looking forward to following along!

Old April 19th 17, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Yet another handicapped GP was run at Lake Keepit last (4-day) weekend. 18 contestants had a great time.
The dinner menu for each night looked great too.

The winner was Justin Smith flying an LS6C/17.5 that used to be in Minden, NV.
Third place overall, race organiser Jacques Graells in an LS6B.
Second: Does it matter what Brad Edwards was flying even if he missed day 1?
Andy: Fourth place was Attila Bertok flying Standard Cirrus Zulu Romeo.

From the LKSC newsgroup:
"The last day was won in style by Jason in his speed Astir, so that proves that there is no need for gliders worth more than a country house to come on top."

I don't think they ran this event on Livetrack24.
Jim
Old April 19th 17, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I hear what you're saying with regard to the turnpoint handicapping system - it is vaguely complicated. Having said that, spectators will see the gliders leave, and they'll know that whoever crosses the finish line first has won the race.

I think most people would agree that explaining that the first person to cross the line wins is a lot simpler to explain than the conventional system.

We also have very big plans with regard to broadcasting the contest to the masses. Watch this space.

Cheers,
Nick

Old December 29th 17, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

[...]

The Formula 1.0 Grand Prix can be followed on Gtrack, link below.
Jim

http://gtracklive.com/event.php?eventID=13

2nd day at Grand Prix JMR Soaring 1 January 10th 10 07:19 PM
Ely Grand Prix BB Soaring 2 July 8th 06 01:36 AM
Grand Prix 06 / 07 Mal Soaring 0 May 2nd 06 01:14 AM
Grand Prix Paul Soaring 0 January 28th 06 01:18 AM
NZ Grand Prix 23 JAN Burt Compton - Marfa Soaring 2 January 23rd 06 12:02 AM