Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

Old May 28th 18, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 3:31:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Im using a Sony xperia Z3, and it works very well in sunlight. Tried a friends Samsung Galaxy 7 that worked well too.

I have a Galaxy 5S with an AMOLED screen which is supposed to be great in direct sunlight, but it is not nearly as visible in direct sunlight as my sold Streak was. Are the LCD screens any better? Are the newer AMOLD screens better than the earlier generation AMOLD screens?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike
Old May 28th 18, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi Mike,

If you're really in need, and want a Streak, I have two spares, loaded
with XCSoar, and I can fix you up.Â* I got the spares because I like them
so much but they've proven to be quite reliable.Â* See me at the airport
or shoot me a PM.

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 28th 18, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 8:01:06 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dan.

Would rather have a more modern device with a pressure sensor, if I can find a screen as good as the Streak. There are reports of some being as good or better but the OLED screen (supposedly the best type) used on the Galaxy 5S is not nearly as good. The cheap Moto E phone from Republic Wireless has a better screen than the Galaxy 5S in direct sunlight, much to may surprise. Don't want to make a $500.00 mistake.

Mike
Old May 28th 18, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 12:02:13 PM UTC-5, Mike C wrote:
[...]

Has anyone tried yet the DJI CrystalSky 5.5" High-Brightness Monitor (1000 nits)? It runs on Android, and at least in the bigger versions (UltraBright up to 2000 nits) allows installation of 3rd party apps:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-119496-1-1.html
Old May 28th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 10:50:48 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
[...]

The Ultimate LE 57 runs SeeYou or LK8000. It is actually Sunlight readable and most varios and PowerFlarm, GPS connect easily.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate_le_5_7.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 29th 18, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 10:02:13 AM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
[...]

I owned an S5 for about three years,and I have TopHat installed on it. I rarely used it for flying as it is very poor at best in direct sunlight.
I been using a Kobo Glow with good success, although I still would like some color for roads, lakes and landables turning green, also audible airspace warnings, etc....
I compared the S5 to a friend's S6 and there is a very notable difference, I believe it is better than a Streak ( I flown with one of those too).
Just about a week ago I finally updated to a Galaxy S9+ and wow that is really something!
I can't say for sure if it is much better than the S6 but maybe the size and the back lighting makes a difference.
Now if I could just find a reliable source for a commercially available IOIO device to work with the flight computer, it would be a no brainer.
I have tried Bluetooth connections with the Streak and I was not too impressed, but than maybe it's just me......
Old May 29th 18, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

I use a Galaxy S7 edge as my primary glide computer and I have never had the readability in sunlight be an issue. As long as the brightest is all the way up it us great. 2 things you need to think about Is the android has an auto brightens function that should be turned off to avoid the phone changing the brightness when you fly it becomes shaded. Also any type if screen protector can hinder the sunlight readability, especially ones that are not glass.
Old May 29th 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Bluetooth/Streak worked wonderfully for me, but Mike's right - the
Streak is getting too old and there's little or no support for it.

I have a Nexus 7 which would also work for running the program but it's
absolutely useless in direct sunlight.Â* I considered making a sun shade
for it, but found THIS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KV3R1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
on Amazon.Â* It's padded, flexible, and sticks to the front face of the
screen.Â* Looks like it'll work and it was cheap enough to simply toss if
it doesn't.

Old May 31st 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 6:52:40 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
I have a Galaxy 5S with an AMOLED screen which is supposed to be great in direct sunlight, but it is not nearly as visible in direct sunlight as my sold Streak was. Are the LCD screens any better? Are the newer AMOLD screens better than the earlier generation AMOLD screens?

Yes, newer AMOLED screens are definitely brighter. They get brighter and brighter every year, and they are certainly brighter than LCD screens.

Old May 31st 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 9:26:55 AM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 6:52:40 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
I have a Galaxy 5S with an AMOLED screen which is supposed to be great in direct sunlight, but it is not nearly as visible in direct sunlight as my sold Streak was. Are the LCD screens any better? Are the newer AMOLD screens better than the earlier generation AMOLD screens?

Yes, newer AMOLED screens are definitely brighter. They get brighter and brighter every year, and they are certainly brighter than LCD screens.

Screen Brightness has little to do with sunlight readability. A very bright backlight will make a Poor screen sort of readable in the sun.

True Sunlight readable displays have a very high contrast ratio, and two specialized coatings anti-glare and anti-reflective. If a display has these features brightness is not a factor.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Pacific War in Color, pt 9 - P 61 in color.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 0 April 5th 17 01:18 PM
Pacific War in Color, pt 8 - P 39-color.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 1 April 4th 17 08:41 PM
Pacific War in Color, pt 8 - P 39s-color.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 0 April 4th 17 01:31 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
Flying platforms/airgeeps David L. Burkhead Home Built 3 January 19th 05 06:33 AM