A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

Old May 28th 18, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

Default Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 3:31:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Im using a Sony xperia Z3, and it works very well in sunlight. Tried a friends Samsung Galaxy 7 that worked well too.

I have a Galaxy 5S with an AMOLED screen which is supposed to be great in direct sunlight, but it is not nearly as visible in direct sunlight as my sold Streak was. Are the LCD screens any better? Are the newer AMOLD screens better than the earlier generation AMOLD screens?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike
Old May 28th 18, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Hi Mike,

If you're really in need, and want a Streak, I have two spares, loaded
with XCSoar, and I can fix you up.Â* I got the spares because I like them
so much but they've proven to be quite reliable.Â* See me at the airport
or shoot me a PM.

Dan

On 5/27/2018 7:52 PM, Mike C wrote:
Im using a Sony xperia Z3, and it works very well in sunlight. Tried a friends Samsung Galaxy 7 that worked well too.

I have a Galaxy 5S with an AMOLED screen which is supposed to be great in direct sunlight, but it is not nearly as visible in direct sunlight as my sold Streak was. Are the LCD screens any better? Are the newer AMOLD screens better than the earlier generation AMOLD screens?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 28th 18, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 8:01:06 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Hi Mike,

or shoot me a PM.

Dan

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J

Thanks Dan.

Would rather have a more modern device with a pressure sensor, if I can find a screen as good as the Streak. There are reports of some being as good or better but the OLED screen (supposedly the best type) used on the Galaxy 5S is not nearly as good. The cheap Moto E phone from Republic Wireless has a better screen than the Galaxy 5S in direct sunlight, much to may surprise. Don't want to make a $500.00 mistake.

Mike
Old May 28th 18, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 12:02:13 PM UTC-5, Mike C wrote:
Hi Mike,

or shoot me a PM.

Dan

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J

Thanks Dan.

Would rather have a more modern device with a pressure sensor, if I can find a screen as good as the Streak. There are reports of some being as good or better but the OLED screen (supposedly the best type) used on the Galaxy 5S is not nearly as good. The cheap Moto E phone from Republic Wireless has a better screen than the Galaxy 5S in direct sunlight, much to may surprise. Don't want to make a $500.00 mistake.

Mike

Has anyone tried yet the DJI CrystalSky 5.5" High-Brightness Monitor (1000 nits)? It runs on Android, and at least in the bigger versions (UltraBright up to 2000 nits) allows installation of 3rd party apps:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-119496-1-1.html
Old May 28th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 10:50:48 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 12:02:13 PM UTC-5, Mike C wrote:
Hi Mike,

or shoot me a PM.

Dan

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J

Thanks Dan.

Mike

Has anyone tried yet the DJI CrystalSky 5.5" High-Brightness Monitor (1000 nits)? It runs on Android, and at least in the bigger versions (UltraBright up to 2000 nits) allows installation of 3rd party apps:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-119496-1-1.html

The Ultimate LE 57 runs SeeYou or LK8000. It is actually Sunlight readable and most varios and PowerFlarm, GPS connect easily.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate_le_5_7.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 29th 18, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 10:02:13 AM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
Hi Mike,

or shoot me a PM.

Dan

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J

Thanks Dan.

Mike

I owned an S5 for about three years,and I have TopHat installed on it. I rarely used it for flying as it is very poor at best in direct sunlight.
I been using a Kobo Glow with good success, although I still would like some color for roads, lakes and landables turning green, also audible airspace warnings, etc....
I compared the S5 to a friend's S6 and there is a very notable difference, I believe it is better than a Streak ( I flown with one of those too).
Just about a week ago I finally updated to a Galaxy S9+ and wow that is really something!
I can't say for sure if it is much better than the S6 but maybe the size and the back lighting makes a difference.
Now if I could just find a reliable source for a commercially available IOIO device to work with the flight computer, it would be a no brainer.
I have tried Bluetooth connections with the Streak and I was not too impressed, but than maybe it's just me......
Old May 29th 18, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air
external usenet poster

I use a Galaxy S7 edge as my primary glide computer and I have never had the readability in sunlight be an issue. As long as the brightest is all the way up it us great. 2 things you need to think about Is the android has an auto brightens function that should be turned off to avoid the phone changing the brightness when you fly it becomes shaded. Also any type if screen protector can hinder the sunlight readability, especially ones that are not glass.
Old May 29th 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Bluetooth/Streak worked wonderfully for me, but Mike's right - the
Streak is getting too old and there's little or no support for it.

I have a Nexus 7 which would also work for running the program but it's
absolutely useless in direct sunlight.Â* I considered making a sun shade
for it, but found THIS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KV3R1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
on Amazon.Â* It's padded, flexible, and sticks to the front face of the
screen.Â* Looks like it'll work and it was cheap enough to simply toss if
it doesn't.

On 5/28/2018 8:19 PM, 6PK wrote:
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 10:02:13 AM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
Hi Mike,

or shoot me a PM.

Dan

Thanks for any insight.

Mike
--
Dan, 5J

Thanks Dan.

Mike

I owned an S5 for about three years,and I have TopHat installed on it. I rarely used it for flying as it is very poor at best in direct sunlight.
I been using a Kobo Glow with good success, although I still would like some color for roads, lakes and landables turning green, also audible airspace warnings, etc....
I compared the S5 to a friend's S6 and there is a very notable difference, I believe it is better than a Streak ( I flown with one of those too).
Just about a week ago I finally updated to a Galaxy S9+ and wow that is really something!
I can't say for sure if it is much better than the S6 but maybe the size and the back lighting makes a difference.
Now if I could just find a reliable source for a commercially available IOIO device to work with the flight computer, it would be a no brainer.
I have tried Bluetooth connections with the Streak and I was not too impressed, but than maybe it's just me......

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 31st 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 6:52:40 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:

Yes, newer AMOLED screens are definitely brighter. They get brighter and brighter every year, and they are certainly brighter than LCD screens.

Old May 31st 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 9:26:55 AM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 6:52:40 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:

Yes, newer AMOLED screens are definitely brighter. They get brighter and brighter every year, and they are certainly brighter than LCD screens.

Screen Brightness has little to do with sunlight readability. A very bright backlight will make a Poor screen sort of readable in the sun.

True Sunlight readable displays have a very high contrast ratio, and two specialized coatings anti-glare and anti-reflective. If a display has these features brightness is not a factor.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com